The Student Room Group

GCSE Results day March 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Paramore<3
I'm in Y11 and luckily I only had 1 January exam, my English Lit poetry paper (Edexcel.)
I have a feeling I really flunked it though, so fingers crossed. :frown:
Good luck guys! :smile:

at is so strange because I'm in Y10 and i have 5 exams coming back and last January i did 2 exams.Your school must be very linear compared to my very modular school and i only do 1 out of the 16 GCSEs,i'm taking, in linear format.
Original post by Dalek1099
Yep, Animal Farm was the hard part and my teacher said 1b(how the language is used to create an impression of man in the extract) was very hard with so little to talk about.If everyone struggled you will get more marks even if they were weak answers.For language devices i went for simple ones like
verbs,nouns,adverb,adjectives instead of metaphors and onomatopoeia.What are you studying in English now?-I'm analysing the spoken language of Dizzee Rascal, Jeremy Paxman,Francesco Schettino and Gregorio De Falco for English Language.I finih English Language ad Literature in Y10 and move on to Film Studies,where appntly you watch a video clip IN AN EXAM ...:eek:

Currently we're studying Romeo and Juliet and An Inspector calls in preparation for the English Literature Unit 3 controlled assessment.

Yeah, the language devices question was hard! I can't remember exactly but I think I commented on sentence structure, adjectives and a use of repetition?
Ah, the Spoken Language unit! I remember doing that last year! :cool:
Reply 42
Original post by thisisjokes
Currently we're studying Romeo and Juliet and An Inspector calls in preparation for the English Literature Unit 3 controlled assessment.

Yeah, the language devices question was hard! I can't remember exactly but I think I commented on sentence structure, adjectives and a use of repetition?
Ah, the Spoken Language unit! I remember doing that last year! :cool:

I did Macbeth and Educating it and got 48/50- fingers crossed for moderation.

The poetry exam has low grade boundaries(76% in June 2011, for an A*, compared to 88% for an A* for the Understanding Prose exam in June 2011) as well so still a possibility of an A* even if i fail this resit because i have already got an A in it.
I'm awaiting results for my AQA GCSE Biology, Chemistry & Physics exams. I'm really hoping for those A* grades. I thought the wait would seem to take forever but it hasn't actually. Perhaps it's because I'm currently in study overdrive for my Maths Unit 1 & 2 test at the beginning of March. :biggrin:
Reply 44
at is so strange because I'm in Y10 and i have 5 exams coming back and last January i did 2 exams.Your school must be very linear compared to my very modular school and i only do 1 out of the 16 GCSEs,i'm taking, in linear format.

Wow, that's loads! I've only ever had two exams outside the summer exam period. :s-smilie:
Yeah, we are pretty linear whilst still doing modular exams... you're lucky, you're the last year who do modular, from this September onwards it's going to be all linear! Ew. :mad:
Reply 45
GCSE AQA English Language and OCR Critical Thinking
Reply 46
I'm in Y10 currently and this is going to be as big a day as August 2011 was for me, in Y9.I'm awaiting 5 results.Chemistry Unit 1,Physics Unit 1,Geography-Coasts,English Language-Writers Voice and English Lit-Understanding Prose.What results are you getting?and does anyone know the date?

omg you're perfect then..what sort of questions came on the Unit 1 chem exams?
Reply 47
Original post by tr3sbelle
omg you're perfect then..what sort of questions came on the Unit 1 chem exams?

They were pretty much all written question with an extended writing piece about Brazil and using ethanol instead of crude oil for fuels in Brazil eg sugar cane fermentation,etc and there was a question about extracting oil from lavender plant trough steam distillation,a question about how car fumes like nitrogen oxide and sulfur dioxide re made,a question about balancing equations,a question about protons, neutrons and electrons an a question about the mantle and Wegner etc.
Reply 48
Waiting for my two English Lit exam results. I messed them up, so I don't have high expectations :frown:
Reply 49
Original post by LePianiste
I'm in Year 11, and I'm getting my English Language results back. What exam board is your English?

Edexcel.
Edexcel.

Was your Eng Lit having to analyse an unseen poem and a poem/s from the anthology?
Reply 51
Original post by PrinceUpsb
Was your Eng Lit having to analyse an unseen poem and a poem/s from the anthology?

no but that looks like my summer exam for English Literature.
no but that looks like my summer exam for English Literature.

I had edexcel literature exam in January too.. it seems weird that they're different? :s-smilie:
Reply 53
I had edexcel literature exam in January too.. it seems weird that they're different? :s-smilie:

You can do either exam at January or summer i think.You will do understanding prose in the summer,probably.
Reply 54
What's the difference between Modular & Linear?
I know what Modular is, but is Linear basically 1 or 2 exams at the end of Y11, in May/June?

I'm getting my whole Mathematics Edexcel iG.C.S.E. back in March, and I'm getting Chemistry Unit 2, and Biology Unit 2 back, too. :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by Tirrany
What's the difference between Modular & Linear?
I know what Modular is, but is Linear basically 1 or 2 exams at the end of Y11, in May/June?

I'm getting my whole Mathematics Edexcel iG.C.S.E. back in March, and I'm getting Chemistry Unit 2, and Biology Unit 2 back, too. :smile:

Modular exams can be sat any time but linear exams have to be set in the examination session,you will receive your certificate after.Coursework can really be done any time in the courses though because you could complete the coursework in January and submit in June.
You can do either exam at January or summer i think.You will do understanding prose in the summer,probably.

But they only release one paper per term, and we both did Edexcel Eng Lit understanding prose in the same term? :s-smilie:
Reply 57
But they only release one paper per term, and we both did Edexcel Eng Lit understanding prose in the same term? :s-smilie:

I don't understand you but i do know that both papers can be sat in either January or Summer.More Information Here:http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCSE2010/Key-Dates-GCSE-2010-English.pdf
I don't understand you but i do know that both papers can be sat in either January or Summer.More Information Here:http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCSE2010/Key-Dates-GCSE-2010-English.pdf

Sorry, I did understanding poetry, not prose.

Never mind, sweet.
Good luck for your results!
Reply 59
Original post by matty123
AQA B2 results. The hardest Biology exam ever.

that's good mate, grade boundaries go down

Quick Reply

Latest