The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
oh my gosh... I cannot believe Jason- he looks like a little person rather than the baby i last saw pics of him as- his hair has grown so much!
Interesting, he looks like a mix of lydia and Alex.

Great to see them all looking lovely, do they get on well?
Original post by alexa123
oh my gosh... I cannot believe Jason- he looks like a little person rather than the baby i last saw pics of him as- his hair has grown so much!
Interesting, he looks like a mix of lydia and Alex.

Great to see them all looking lovely, do they get on well?

haha Jason really needs a haircut again - he's turning into mullet-kid lol

aye the three of them generally get along. Well there's some bickering, as you might expect, but nothing too major. At the end of the day they're always quite happy to give each other a hug and kiss and make up if there is any falling out. (Fallings out only last about 2 minutes at most anyway!) They like playing together and miss each other when they're apart.
Hey everyone, I'm usually a lurker but I need some help.

I'm a week and a half (approximately) late for my period and took two tests, one yesterday morning and one the evening of the day before. Both had a really faint second line (hardly visible, but there). I went to the doctors who just said he believes that's reason enough for me to actually be pregnant (I have to send off a sample for another test). I'm half worried they'll test and it'll show up as negative or something. I'm wondering if I should request a blood test (says I can do so on the sheet that goes with the sample)?

Anyway, I can't hand in the sample until Monday morning so I was going to get a double pack of the Clearblue tests because they say it digitally and try it Saturday and Sunday morning. The reason I'm in denial so much is because I had unprotected sex with my last partner for about 3 years (TTC for some of that). I've been with my current one just over a year.

I'll be due mid October, which will be during the start of my second year at uni. Not sure whether I should defer after my first year. I also have a part time job. What with uni and work I get 1 day off every 1-2 weeks at the moment so it really isn't ideal. I was thinking if I deferred I would be on maternity leave and have that year with the baby, and to also do my GCSE maths (which is another thing on my list)

If you've got to the end of this, kudos! Appreciate any advice/guidance in advance! thanks
Original post by Maybe Tomorrow

I'm a week and a half (approximately) late for my period and took two tests, one yesterday morning and one the evening of the day before. Both had a really faint second line (hardly visible, but there). I went to the doctors who just said he believes that's reason enough for me to actually be pregnant (I have to send off a sample for another test). I'm half worried they'll test and it'll show up as negative or something. I'm wondering if I should request a blood test (says I can do so on the sheet that goes with the sample)?

Anyway, I can't hand in the sample until Monday morning so I was going to get a double pack of the Clearblue tests because they say it digitally and try it Saturday and Sunday morning. The reason I'm in denial so much is because I had unprotected sex with my last partner for about 3 years (TTC for some of that). I've been with my current one just over a year.

I'll be due mid October, which will be during the start of my second year at uni. Not sure whether I should defer after my first year. I also have a part time job. What with uni and work I get 1 day off every 1-2 weeks at the moment so it really isn't ideal. I was thinking if I deferred I would be on maternity leave and have that year with the baby, and to also do my GCSE maths (which is another thing on my list)

If you've got to the end of this, kudos! Appreciate any advice/guidance in advance! thanks

I would defer if I were you, definitely. Take the year out and then go back when you have an almost-one-year-old. That way you'll have got the newborn phase out of the way, your child will be nearly old enough to go onto cows milk thus making the problem of leaving a baby when you are breastfeeding not so much of a problem, the night feedings should be either finished or at least more under control....yep if I were you I'd defer for a year.

I really hope you're pg, it sounds really promising. After TTC for a long time you must be over the moon :smile:
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I would defer if I were you, definitely. Take the year out and then go back when you have an almost-one-year-old. That way you'll have got the newborn phase out of the way, your child will be nearly old enough to go onto cows milk thus making the problem of leaving a baby when you are breastfeeding not so much of a problem, the night feedings should be either finished or at least more under control....yep if I were you I'd defer for a year.

I really hope you're pg, it sounds really promising. After TTC for a long time you must be over the moon :smile:

I used a clearblue test today, I am definitely pregnant. I am so shocked and surprised I keep pinching myself. It was my last boyfriend I was TTC with. This is with my new boyfriend and very unexpected and whereas I was in a position to give my baby everything it needed at that point I'm not now. I live with my parents still, was hoping to move out and in with my boyfriend (who finishes uni this year, but will need to find a job, at the moment he lives 3 hours away)

I will definitely defer, hoping that's an option after only doing the first year though?

I love that my body has the worst timing, lol. :smile:
I used a clearblue test today, I am definitely pregnant. I am so shocked and surprised I keep pinching myself. It was my last boyfriend I was TTC with. This is with my new boyfriend and very unexpected and whereas I was in a position to give my baby everything it needed at that point I'm not now. I live with my parents still, was hoping to move out and in with my boyfriend (who finishes uni this year, but will need to find a job, at the moment he lives 3 hours away)

I will definitely defer, hoping that's an option after only doing the first year though?

Woo congrats!

I started uni in Sept 2004, found out I was pg in Jan 2005. Finished first year, and then took the next year out after that. Baby was born Sept 2005, then went back to uni Sept 2006 in first year of a new course (I just quit the previous course altogether).

btw every time I see your username I literally start singing "maybe tomorrow, I'll wanna settle down..." lol
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Woo congrats!

I started uni in Sept 2004, found out I was pg in Jan 2005. Finished first year, and then took the next year out after that. Baby was born Sept 2005, then went back to uni Sept 2006 in first year of a new course (I just quit the previous course altogether).

btw every time I see your username I literally start singing "maybe tomorrow, I'll wanna settle down..." lol

Aww, thanks :smile: Quite similar with the timing and situation then! I want to continue on my current course, definitely, but I will need that year out.

Not sure I'll do about the living situation, don't really want to start off the new baby life living with my parents but we'll see how that pans out.
Aww, thanks :smile: Quite similar with the timing and situation then! I want to continue on my current course, definitely, but I will need that year out.

Not sure I'll do about the living situation, don't really want to start off the new baby life living with my parents but we'll see how that pans out.

Congratulations!

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to have a year out, I took a year out after my first year to have my first and seems like a good idea for you too. Lots of time with baby but something to go back to/aim for. You've got a few of things to sort out but exciting times. :smile:

Can't believe that Bella is 4 1/2 and Milly is 2 1/2 ! Time flies!

Abort!
Original post by Botticello
Abort!

Yes, of course somebody who has been trying to conceive for several years is going to abort :rolleyes:
moron
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 770

Congratulations :smile:.I know it's probably not the best time, but these things happen.
Original post by Botticello
Abort!

Why on earth would you tell me to do that!? I'm not sure what kind of sick person gets a kick out of trying to hurt the feelings of someone they've never met. I hardly think taking a year out is the end of the world, if you meant with regards to education. Otherwise, just, wtf?

Like PMP said, I did try with my previous partner to conceive for years. I didn't actually think I was able to, so although I'd moved on and this was unexpected, it is in no way unwanted. It's not like my partner and I won't have the money or facilities to adequately take care of it either.
Hey guys, going anonymous because people I know use here.

I had a miscarriage last July, I didn't tell anyone at the time but now it has all come out. My ex now knows and I've told a few friends. Before I told anyone it didn't really bother me that much, obviously I was upset but it was an inconvenient time to have a baby so I suppose it happened for the best. But now that I have told a few people, I feel like I need to tell the whole thing. All I told my ex is that I had a miscarriage, after he split up. He'd told me not to contact him or talk to him, he deleted me off facebook and I deleted his number so I had no way to get in contact with him other than actually going to his house, and that's why I didn't tell him that I was pregnant I thought about leaving it until it was too late, then he couldn't do anything about it. It's weird but I feel like I need to tell people exactly where I was when I found out, the time and date etc? In a way to go over it in my own head because I've ignored it for so long, but I have nobody to talk to. My ex won't talk about it.

Since telling people, which in a way was like admitting to myself that it actually happened because at the time I didn't tell anyone and just got on with things, I've become obsessed with pregnancy and babies etc. I really want to get pregnant again right now, except I'm in uni and don't even have a partner so that's crazy thoughts. I find myself so jealous over friends from school who are having babies, a bit of me dies inside whenever I see a scan picture or pregnancy announcement on facebook and I was even looking at prams on the internet the other day and planning what I would buy for my baby it's become like an obsession, and if I told people that they would think I was mad I'm sure.

I know a girl from work who's just had a miscarriage and she's dealing with it completely differently to how I did. She's got support from people, but I just pretended it never happened, and now I can't stop thinking about it.

The worst thing is I'd of been due soon :frown:

Quoted this post but read the others too, congrats :biggrin: We're due around the same time-ish from the sound of it (I'm October 30th). Not sure what else to say but wanted to wish you the best and offer my congratulations on the pregnancy!

Anon I'm really sorry for your loss :frown: Not sure what to say but didn't want to ignore your post, have you tried writing it all down, is there anyone you could talk to about it? There's organisations such as the samaritans who're there if you need someone confidential to talk things over with, as well as miscarriage charities such as here:

http://www.miscarriageassociation.org.uk/support/

I hope you're feeling brighter soon, be sure to remember that how she's dealing with it isn't necessarily right just because it's different. Everyone grieves in their own way and there is no right or wrong way to get through something like that.
Annoymous: Sorry to hear about your miscarriage. Perhaps it's hitting you now as you haven't grieved properly. Its perfectly OK to be upset, maybe confiding in a friend may be helpful. Find something to throw yourself into, keep yourself busy and focused.

Just wanted a bit of advice myself actually, just wanted to ask how much time everyone spends doing educational things with their children? (You could argue that eveything is educational, I am aware, but I am thinking of more discrete 1:1 education, i.e Maths, Reading, Writing...) I'm just concerned as obviously with a heavy workload it's becoming increasingly difficult! With my profession, I know what I can be doing, it's just fitting it in that's the problem! What's the usual amount of time for most?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tappyfeet92
Quoted this post but read the others too, congrats :biggrin: We're due around the same time-ish from the sound of it (I'm October 30th). Not sure what else to say but wanted to wish you the best and offer my congratulations on the pregnancy!

Anon I'm really sorry for your loss :frown: Not sure what to say but didn't want to ignore your post, have you tried writing it all down, is there anyone you could talk to about it? There's organisations such as the samaritans who're there if you need someone confidential to talk things over with, as well as miscarriage charities such as here:

http://www.miscarriageassociation.org.uk/support/

I hope you're feeling brighter soon, be sure to remember that how she's dealing with it isn't necessarily right just because it's different. Everyone grieves in their own way and there is no right or wrong way to get through something like that.

Thank you for the congratulations and I hope your pregnancy goes well.

Unfortunately I'm going through an early miscarriage which I found out about Friday. It's proving quite hard to deal with so far. :frown:

Unfortunately I'm going through an early miscarriage which I found out about Friday. It's proving quite hard to deal with so far. :frown:

So sorry to hear that hun, :hugs: xxxxxxxxxxx
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys, going anonymous because people I know use here.

I had a miscarriage last July, I didn't tell anyone at the time but now it has all come out. My ex now knows and I've told a few friends. Before I told anyone it didn't really bother me that much, obviously I was upset but it was an inconvenient time to have a baby so I suppose it happened for the best. But now that I have told a few people, I feel like I need to tell the whole thing. All I told my ex is that I had a miscarriage, after he split up. He'd told me not to contact him or talk to him, he deleted me off facebook and I deleted his number so I had no way to get in contact with him other than actually going to his house, and that's why I didn't tell him that I was pregnant I thought about leaving it until it was too late, then he couldn't do anything about it. It's weird but I feel like I need to tell people exactly where I was when I found out, the time and date etc? In a way to go over it in my own head because I've ignored it for so long, but I have nobody to talk to. My ex won't talk about it.

Since telling people, which in a way was like admitting to myself that it actually happened because at the time I didn't tell anyone and just got on with things, I've become obsessed with pregnancy and babies etc. I really want to get pregnant again right now, except I'm in uni and don't even have a partner so that's crazy thoughts. I find myself so jealous over friends from school who are having babies, a bit of me dies inside whenever I see a scan picture or pregnancy announcement on facebook and I was even looking at prams on the internet the other day and planning what I would buy for my baby it's become like an obsession, and if I told people that they would think I was mad I'm sure.

I know a girl from work who's just had a miscarriage and she's dealing with it completely differently to how I did. She's got support from people, but I just pretended it never happened, and now I can't stop thinking about it.

The worst thing is I'd of been due soon :frown:

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. tappyfeet has given you a good link. I think it's probably good to talk about these things - maybe with somebody professional perhaps. Do you have a good support network around you to help you emotionally? Big hugs xx

Original post by tappyfeet92

Congrats on your pregnancy :smile:

Original post by balloon_parade

Just wanted a bit of advice myself actually, just wanted to ask how much time everyone spends doing educational things with their children? (You could argue that eveything is educational, I am aware, but I am thinking of more discrete 1:1 education, i.e Maths, Reading, Writing...) I'm just concerned as obviously with a heavy workload it's becoming increasingly difficult! With my profession, I know what I can be doing, it's just fitting it in that's the problem! What's the usual amount of time for most?

With Lydia I tend to just give her some books such as this (not this specific one, but that sort of thing - though not just in maths, some writing or science, that sort of thing, as well):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maths-Stage-Beginner-Carol-Vordermans/dp/140530958X

and then just tell her to get on with doing some exercises. She does a couple of pages a time, about 4 times a week.
The homework she gets from school is once a week, plus nightly reading practice, plus once weekly spelling tests, so I think that's enough for now. She picks things up really easily.

I'll also throw in random "lessons" which aren't really lessons as such - such as if we're out walking the dog, we'll have a discussion about flowers and photosynthesis, or we might discuss geography, or astronomy, and that sort of thing. More as a discussion rather than a sit down lesson.

With Alex, I'm doing this book with him at the moment :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Teach-Your-Child-Read-Engelman/dp/0671631985/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331116218&sr=1-1-spell

We do one lesson a night. Takes about 20 minutes or so.
Plus he has a book to look at every night from school (just simple ones for him - focusing on one letter at a time. He is making very slow progress but he's getting there.
He also has once weekly homework from school as well. We sit down at the weekend and do that together.
Like Lydia with the photosynthesis, I'll throw in a few "lessons" that aren't really lessons, but simpler than what I do for Lydia because Alex wouldn't understand anything near as complex as that. So we might have a chat about what's inside the body for example (bones, muscles etc) - something that he can get his head around.

With Jason I tend to just do things like counting stairs and buttons, and asking him what shapes things are, and I'm working on trying to get him to write a J for Jason but he's not quite getting the hang of gripping a pen properly yet.

I'm so sorry for your loss hun :frown: xxx
Reply 778
Original post by balloon_parade

I don't really spend that much time with the little one...... my work schedule doesn't really permit it and in a way I prefer leaving such things to the professionals.

But I do 1:1 1 hour 2x weekly with her, of which 1 session is Chinese which I teach her from a syllabus from Hong Kong. It' a series of 7 books and a computer program that is sort of a game where she is shown a Chinese character then using the digital pen she rewrites it and does a voice record as to how that character should sound in both Mandarin and Cantonese.

The other session isn't strictly a 1:1 session, but what happens is I sit with her together with a German teacher, reading and writing. This one is sent by the local authority at a subsidized rate as the little one is a "new resident" and doesn't meet the linguistic proficiency standards required for schooling here.
Reply 779
Original post by Herr
I don't really spend that much time with the little one...... my work schedule doesn't really permit it and in a way I prefer leaving such things to the professionals.

But I do 1:1 1 hour 2x weekly with her, of which 1 session is Chinese which I teach her from a syllabus from Hong Kong. It' a series of 7 books and a computer program that is sort of a game where she is shown a Chinese character then using the digital pen she rewrites it and does a voice record as to how that character should sound in both Mandarin and Cantonese.

The other session isn't strictly a 1:1 session, but what happens is I sit with her together with a German teacher, reading and writing. This one is sent by the local authority at a subsidized rate as the little one is a "new resident" and doesn't meet the linguistic proficiency standards required for schooling here.

Wow, I imagine that your daughter will pick up 2 other languages very quickly, kids are meant to be able to do that with much more ease than an adult.Did you move your family out to Switzerland?.Lovely country!.

Quick Reply

Latest