The Student Room Group

Is it normal to be this hairy (as a girl)?

Warning: This is a bit gross.

I have hair where I shouldn't. I have about 4/5 thick hairs on my chin that I have to pluck weekly, on the sides of my face I get long white hairs that I also pluck when I see them.
I have hair between by belly button and bikini line (not fine downy hair, but about 10 thick black hairs that again I either shave or wax, but there's always some sort of stubble :frown:). Not wanting to gross anyone out (if I haven't already) but I also have hair around my chest/boob area, and around my nipples. It's not dense like a man's but it's still visible and very upsetting.

I'm naturally fair and the rest of the hair on my body is translucent, I don't have any other problems with hormones/diet/weight/periods...i'm on the pill etc.

I'm thinking it might be genetic as my father and brother are both harier than average and even though I'm a girl maybe it has been passed down to me? lol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous

I have hair where I shouldn't. I have about 4/5 thick hairs on my chin that I have to pluck weekly, on the sides of my face I get long white hairs that I also pluck when I see them.
I have hair between by belly button and bikini line (not fine downy hair, but about 10 thick black hairs that again I either shave or wax, but there's always some sort of stubble :frown:). Not wanting to gross anyone out (if I haven't already) but I also have hair around my chest/boob area, and around my nipples. It's not dense like a man's but it's still visible and very upsetting.

I'm naturally fair and the rest of the hair on my body is translucent, I don't have any other problems with hormones/diet/weight/periods...i'm on the pill etc.

I'm thinking it might be genetic as my father and brother are both harier than average and even though I'm a girl maybe it has been passed down to me? lol

I'm exactly the same! (not asian, before anyone asks). It is really not pleasant and I don't know what to do about it - Mum doesn't want my shaving my stomach and waxing it seems really far fetched. Unlike you though I am dark haired.
Go see your GP, a lot of cosmetic treatments are available on the NHS if they are affecting your self-confidence. I think there are a whole load of ways to stop unwanted hair growth, so go and make an appointment :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by GreenLantern1
Is this a troll?

If this is serious just see a doctor , GP should suffice. Their advice will be much more valuable than a bunch of strangers on the Internet.

It's really not. I don't want to go to the doctor over something so stupid, I was just wondering if it was normal. You could say the same for practically every post on the 'health' board tbh....
Reply 4
Asians are quite prone to that sort of stuff from what I've seen with people I know. But it doesn't just happen to them and can happen to anyone because of hormones - it just shows up on some people more than others because of skin and hair colour combo.

More hair = more testosterone :sexface:
(edited 11 years ago)
It may be a side effect from the pill, (I am guessing here...it might not be) have you read the side effects on the packet? Although, I don't think you should go of it...unless you want a child!

Go to the GP asap and ask. No one on TSR is qualified enough to give you advice.
Reply 6
Laser removal surgery......cure for life
I used to have a bit of extra body hair around my nipples and on my stomach. The doctor gave me the contraceptive pill and for some reason that worked.
Reply 8
Original post by mel0n
Asians are quite prone to that sort of stuff from what I've seen with people I know.

More hair = more testosterone :sexface:

Aye. I stood behind an Asian family (I think North Indian from how they looked, but that's just a guess) in a queue once and a girl (who can't have been more than about 8) had a seriously hairy back. It was like a carpet.

I used to have a bit of extra body hair around my nipples and on my stomach. The doctor gave me the contraceptive pill and for some reason that worked.

Because it encourages estrogen and suppresses testosterone.
Reply 9
Laser treatment?
Reply 10
Original post by blueray
It may be a side effect from the pill, (I am guessing here...it might not be) have you read the side effects on the packet? Although, I don't think you should go of it...unless you want a child!

Go to the GP asap and ask. No one on TSR is qualified enough to give you advice.

I'm not sure the contraceptive pill causes hair to grow, maybe someone who has taken it can confirm whether this is normal... But yes, best to ask a GP.

What? :lolwut: so it just... fell off? :colonhash:
Ignore those horid comments.

I'm a girl, probably similar to what you've described - and you've just described me spot on.

Almost anyway - I don't have any hairs on my chin (touch wood - yet!) but I get really thick dark ones along the side of my face. Its the reason why my hairs always down as it hides it, although I obviously pluck as much as possible. Its really painful to pluck them as they're so thick, it often bleeds and then looks even more lucky. They also appear really quickly. I can do a full face check in the morning, and come home to a huge thing growing out of my face! It really gets me down, I try to make a joke out of it though :rolleyes:

I have the ones on my stomach too - I pluck those as I scared with shaving. Still bleeds, and they get really ingrown there, but looks better than basically having pubes up to my belly buttom :biggrin:

I also have a hair on my arm, it comes out of a mole - and that is gross.

I've been to the doctors but they weren't helpful...but they've noted it down as they are testing me for lots of things at the moment, so I could get it solved.

It really really gets me down, I'm so self conscious and will spend half an hour checking my face in the mirror before I go out, just to ensure its not hairy. I always carry a pair of tweezers (I have 5 - in all my bags, bathroom and a spare). My worst nightmare was over Christmas I stayed at my boyfriends for two nights, forgot tweezers, and ended up with inch-long monsters (not exaggerating).

Old the joys of being a woman.. :rolleyes:

do you mind if we see pics? I'm sure it's not as bad as you say.. if you hair is transcluent then what is there to worry about?

I'm (kinda) hairy too.. does the pill work??
Reply 13
Original post by JordanR
Aye. I stood behind an Asian family (I think North Indian from how they looked, but that's just a guess) in a queue once and a girl (who can't have been more than about 8) had a seriously hairy back. It was like a carpet.

:rofl2: Well I wasn't thinking that bad hahahah! But I have seen that too.

I'm quite glad that doesn't run in my family :afraid: But if it's due to hormones that the OP is having such problems then I think it's unfair for people (not you) to ridicule it.
Original post by blueray

I'm pretty sure the pill reduces hair, they give it to people with hirsutism.

To the OP- It sounds pretty normal to me, you just probably take after your dad and brother and are a bit more hairy than the average girl. You could go to the doctor or nurse if it bothers you a lot though. They might suggest a pill called Dianette. I got put on it for my skin, but they also give it to women suffering with excess hair.
Original post by mel0n

What? :lolwut: so it just... fell off? :colonhash:

It probably does come out or malt, like if someone went bald.. :smile:.
Original post by 0range
LOL no they're not!

Then why are they both classed as Anonymous Poster #1. Surely the second anonymous person, if they are a different person, should be called Anonymous Poster #2.

If not then that whole numbering system is a complete and utter bloody waste
Reply 17
I'm exactly the same! (not asian, before anyone asks). It is really not pleasant and I don't know what to do about it - Mum doesn't want my shaving my stomach and waxing it seems really far fetched. Unlike you though I am dark haired.

Don't shave your stomach ffs. It's a bit of hair, get used to it. I have a faint line from my belly button that goes down about 2 inches too - wax it if you're that worried, less far fetched than shaving to be honest but just hope that you don't see little stubbly hairs poking our of your tshirt or whatever :teehee:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by laura130490
I'm pretty sure the pill reduces hair, they give it to people with hirsutism.

To the OP- It sounds pretty normal to me, you just probably take after your dad and brother and are a bit more hairy than the average girl. You could go to the doctor or nurse if it bothers you a lot though. They might suggest a pill called Dianette. I got put on it for my skin, but they also give it to women suffering with excess hair.

Really? interesting.

Don't worry, you aren't the only one, I get it on my tummy a bit as well and a little round nipples, not on my face or chin though. Obviously I keep it all away so no one knows. I asked the doctor what it could be and she said I probably have polycystic ovaries, which isn't a problem, but it can cause increased hair growth in places where it shouldn't be. She said I can probably get laser hair removal on the NHS if it's significantly bothering me, but as of yet I have yet to go back and find out.

I thought it could have been the pill, but the doc said it was very unlikely to be that. You could go, they will probably tell you the same as they told me - polycystic ovaries. Apparently it affects a lot of women, but some women don't get any symptoms and others do.

On the side of getting rid of it, I pluck it out currently, as there isn't that much, but as I say, you may be able to get hair removal on the NHS or if not you could go and pay for it, but I think it is quite expensive (few hundred quid).

Hope that helps a little :smile: I know it is a tremendous pain in the backside, but you really aren't the only one, promise :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest