The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Y__
Part III NatSci or Maths?

Compsci I'd have thought...?
Original post by Topaz_eyes
:O Any reason? You ask to defer a year and start after Part III? Well done on the offers anyway :P

Original post by BigFudamental
:shock:

What put you off?

Yep Part III CompSci. I thought if I reapply next year I would have a stronger application as this year it was rather rushed, and I would be more ready for research. The direction of research of those departments in my area doesn't really match what I want and the strength of the departments themselves I think do not overtake Cambridge anyway.
Original post by ukdragon37
Yep Part III CompSci. I thought if I reapply next year I would have a stronger application as this year it was rather rushed, and I would be more ready for research. The direction of research of those departments in my area doesn't really match what I want and the strength of the departments themselves I think do not overtake Cambridge anyway.

:zomg:
Original post by Doughnuts!!
:zomg:

I turned down a fully-funded place at Michigan earlier this week for much the same reasons... (Cambridge has one of the largest research groups in category theory, afte all.)
Reply 7604
Original post by Zhen Lin
I turned down a fully-funded place at Michigan earlier this week for much the same reasons... (Cambridge has one of the largest research groups in category theory, afte all.)

Congrats on your Cambridge place, by the way. I didn't really know what to make of your FB status though, it was definitely the least enthusiastic 'I have the PhD place of choice' status I have seen all year :redface: . Are there still some problems with funding?
Original post by Y__
Congrats on your Cambridge place, by the way.

Thanks!

I didn't really know what to make of your FB status though, it was definitely the least enthusiastic 'I have the PhD place of choice' status I have seen all year :redface: . Are there still some problems with funding?

Indeed. As of today I have only secured one partial scholarship... :s-smilie: But I'm sure things will sort themselves out by the end of the year.

Congratulations too!

Although category theory seems to be getting way too popular... :grumble:
Original post by ukdragon37
Congratulations too!

Although category theory seems to be getting way too popular... :grumble:

Hah, if only. Then I would have an easy time finding a place to study and a job after that...
Hah, if only. Then I would have an easy time finding a place to study and a job after that...

I mean amongst students I know. Doesn't bode well for competition.
Original post by Craghyrax
Yep. And footnotes. Bibliographies don't usually count.

What's your take on referencing papers that one read and learned something from never explicitly cited in one's work? Have it in the bibliography anyway? Squeeze in a citation somewhere (eg "for a good overview of this topic see Craghyrax & Bigfudamental (2012) " )?

(anyone else welcome to chime in too obviously...)
Reply 7610
What's your take on referencing papers that one read and learned something from never explicitly cited in one's work? Have it in the bibliography anyway? Squeeze in a citation somewhere (eg "for a good overview of this topic see Craghyrax & Bigfudamental (2012) " )?

I think the general form is to split your bibliography into 'works cited' and 'works referenced' or something, can't remember the exact wording. One refers to the citations, and the others to those you learnt things from but didn't directly cite. That's what I did for my dissertation, as I had to learn about the history of Russian space travel and other things but didn't really have space in my 8000 words to start expounding all of my background knowledge.
Original post by Zoedotdot
I think the general form is to split your bibliography into 'works cited' and 'works referenced' or something, can't remember the exact wording. One refers to the citations, and the others to those you learnt things from but didn't directly cite. That's what I did for my dissertation, as I had to learn about the history of Russian space travel and other things but didn't really have space in my 8000 words to start expounding all of my background knowledge.

Thanks! It's only one paper so I think I might just cut it rather than start a whole new section for it. Sounds like an amazing thesis topic.

I didn't include said papers in my dissertation bibliography. It would've been hard to know when to stop if I included every single thing that contributed towards my understanding of the subject.

The solution you give here is used in some physics papers. Otherwise you can just sprinkle it into your introduction somewhere. If it's a review article then often it's obvious that it is one from which journal it's in.

If its just one thing, you can mention it in a footnote somewhere in the text that its most relevant, and then include it in the Bibliography normally.

If this is for a dissertation, you usually have some sort of 'background' section near the beginning where you can throw in arbitrary number of references. A 'related work' section also sometimes appears, where you basically 'cover your arse' by citing every related piece of research you can think of so you can prove that you 'read around' to the reviewers.

LaTeX only includes in your bibliography items that you have actually cited somewhere in your document, so I think it's common practice for CS to actually reference them in the text. Though, it sometimes comes in the lovely form of block references, e.g.

Recent advances in diversity-based recommendation [5,7,14,15,21] have led to...
Holy boat race!

A swimmer, a broken blade and a collapsed Oxonian oarsman... Not your normal race.

GDBO and congratulations to the Cantab crew though :smile:
I've never seen any boat race :p: But I enjoyed reading the comments on facebook.
Well that was certainly a dramatic and unconventional boat race! Bit of a hollow victory, but well done to all the guys :smile: