The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I am assuming you just mean part b)?

Start by writing down the sequence for the number of square tiles required after one column of octagonal stones, two columns, etc. to get an expression for the number of square tiles after k columns.

Then think how the number of columns is related to the number of octagonal tiles.
Reply 2
Original post by bcrazy
I am assuming you just mean part b)?

Start by writing down the sequence for the number of square tiles required after one column of octagonal stones, two columns, etc. to get an expression for the number of square tiles after k columns.

Then think how the number of columns is related to the number of octagonal tiles.

Part a also. I have found the area of 1 square (100cm^2) and 1 octagon(700cm^2). Now what?
Reply 3
anyone?
Reply 4
Anyone?
Reply 5
Firstly, calm down!

Original post by Math12345
Part a also. I have found the area of 1 square (100cm^2) and 1 octagon(700cm^2). Now what?

You need to check your area of the square tiles (the side length of one of the square tiles is not 10cm...Pythagoras could be used here although there are other ways)

Once you know the area of a square tile and an octagonal tile then consider how many of each you have...
Reply 6
Anyone?

Oh come on, this is just rude.
Reply 7
Original post by bcrazy
Firstly, calm down!

You need to check your area of the square tiles (the side length of one of the square tiles is not 10cm...Pythagoras could be used here although there are other ways)

Once you know the area of a square tile and an octagonal tile then consider how many of each you have...

Sorry about that.

10*10=100?

or is it 200?

9*700=6300 - Octagonal tiles.
200*4=800

add them together?

is this right?
Reply 8
Sorry about that.

10*10=100?

or is it 200?

Oh lawdy.
Reply 9
Original post by Repressor
Oh lawdy.

10*10≠200

what i meant is sqrt(200)*sqrt(200)=200 - I used Pythagoras.
Reply 10
Two things.
Firstly, re-read my last comment- it highlighted the error and you need to think it through a bit before asking for help straight away again.
Secondly, I can only assume it was you who neg repped nuodai for what was a very fair point so I'm afraid my patience is out anyway.

Edit: Oh, your last comment at least showed some better thought- yes...right track
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by bcrazy
Two things.
Firstly, re-read my last comment- it highlighted the error and you need to think it through a bit before asking for help straight away again.
Secondly, I can only assume it was you who neg repped nuodai for what was a very fair point so I'm afraid my patience is out anyway.

1. sqrt(10^2+10^2)=sqrt(200)

sqrt(200)^2=200cm^2?

2. No I didn't.
Reply 12
1. sqrt(10^2+10^2)=sqrt(200)

sqrt(200)^2=200cm^2?

2. No I didn't.

1. Yes

2. Apologies if I accused wrongly, natural assumption, but I'm off now anyway- you have the right start but show some confidence in what you are doing.
Reply 13
Original post by bcrazy
1. Yes

2. Apologies if I accused wrongly, natural assumption, but I'm off now anyway- you have the right start but show some confidence in what you are doing.

Ok, thanks for the help.

Can someone tell me if the answer is:

200*4=800
700*9=6,300

800+6,300=7,100cm^2

And what about part b?
Reply 14
Can someone help me with the nth term.

I have:

3-1
6-3
9-5