The Student Room Group

Standard Grade Biology 2012 !

Hey there :smile: Hows it going ?
Thought id start a thread on the SG Biology Exam soon.

How are you all studying ? What books you using ? Any tips you'd like to share ?

I personally find ps more challenging than ku, any ideas on how to overcome it ?

I plan to take it as higher, who else is?

Please do post on this thread before and after, Im fairly new and wanna get to know everyone.

G'luck:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I plan to take it at higher as well...
But I didn't start studying yet... oooops :P
Maybe tomorrow :biggrin:
Reply 2
I've not started studying for biology yet either. I have chemistry on Monday and then a nine day break, so I'll study then. For my prelims I used the BrightRed revision book and I think it is really good. I am slightly better at KU than PS but there is not much difference. The only PS questions I hate are the ones about variables and controls. I plan on taking biology as a higher too.
i just do lots and lots of past papers to revise! i'm really sad because i can't take it at higher,wish i could :frown:
Reply 4
Yeah thats my plans with the pastpapers aswell.

@pinkmascaragirl, why cant you take higher? Its not letting me quote sorry.
Reply 5
I'm quite excited for this exam! Sadly i can't do it at higher either cause of my options form preventing it :/ But i still think i can get a 1 for this :biggrin:
Reply 6
I'm taking higher human biology next year hopefully!

I've not started revision but I plan on doing 18 hours of it after chemistry (2hrs a day until the exam).

I'm the same as most people here. The KU I find easier but the PS is harder. I also need to go over the world of plants topic as we rushed through it at the end of the year and I don't pick up too much detail. Animal survival I also need to go over as it was the first topic we'd done and it's a distant memory.

Other than that I'm relatively happy and I am hoping all goes well!
Reply 7
Original post by Aay

How are you all studying ? What books you using ? Any tips you'd like to share ?

I personally find ps more challenging than ku, any ideas on how to overcome it ?

Please do post on this thread before and after, Im fairly new and wanna get to know everyone.

In response to your question of any tips we'd like to share there is a great website called oronsay biology (google it). It comes up as a bed and breakfast as the teacher who puts the notes up owns it..

It covers all aspects of the course in great but simple detail.

I highly recommend you check it out:smile:!
Reply 8
Does anyone know what might come up this year?
Original post by Nessie162
Does anyone know what might come up this year?

They will be sure to put in things they have not asked in a while like structure of a leaf, for example. Nobody knows for certain though.
Reply 10
Original post by Aay

I'm feeling fairly confident about Wednesday, it's just fitting History revision around Biology revision which is proving difficult. And yes I am taking it at Higher :biggrin:

Why on earth have you been negged?! :lolwut:
Reply 11
Original post by mrsnicket
I'm feeling fairly confident about Wednesday, it's just fitting History revision around Biology revision which is proving difficult. And yes I am taking it at Higher :biggrin:

Why on earth have you been negged?! :lolwut:

I know, what did i say ?!

And yeah same, i just plan to study for history the one and a half days after the bio.
Reply 12
Original post by Aay
I know, what did i say ?!

And yeah same, i just plan to study for history the one and a half days after the bio.

No idea, some people just make me :facepalm:

Good plan, I'm gonna do some History tomorrow, and then have an intensive revision day on Thursday. Any ideas about which questions may come up on Friday?
Reply 13
No idea, some people just make me :facepalm:

Good plan, I'm gonna do some History tomorrow, and then have an intensive revision day on Thursday. Any ideas about which questions may come up on Friday?

To be honest, I havent really sussed out anything about history yet, not looked at it much,

What do you think ?
Reply 14
Original post by Aay
To be honest, I havent really sussed out anything about history yet, not looked at it much,

What do you think ?

No idea, I'm just revising everything. There's bound to be at least one question that'll **** up our day. :sigh:
Reply 15
No idea, I'm just revising everything. There's bound to be at least one question that'll **** up our day. :sigh:

Couldnt agree with you more,

Well these are my last two exams:banana:

so just want them over with,

Im going to go through bio and if I find anything which im confused about will prolly post here.

You started studying for bio?
Reply 16
Original post by declanp
I'm quite excited for this exam! Sadly i can't do it at higher either cause of my options form preventing it :/ But i still think i can get a 1 for this :biggrin:

Thats the spiritt maate !
Original post by Aay

Hiya. :biggrin:

Biology is my second last exam (history- woo :nothing: ) but I have German first. That's on Tuesday.

I've just been doing past papers/going over notes and using bitesize and oransay.

Fraid I can't help you with the ku/ps thing because I'm one of the weird people who tend to get equal marks in both. :redface:

I'm also taking it next year (hopefully higher human bio- depends what the class votes for!).

Why did you get negged for that? :confused: I'll try even that up when I have some rep. :smile: (assuming I'm not PRSOM for you- I've seen you often enough in the past month or so! :lol: )
Reply 18
Original post by tasha96
Hiya. :biggrin:

Biology is my second last exam (history- woo :nothing: ) but I have German first. That's on Tuesday.

I've just been doing past papers/going over notes and using bitesize and oransay.

Fraid I can't help you with the ku/ps thing because I'm one of the weird people who tend to get equal marks in both. :redface:

I'm also taking it next year (hopefully higher human bio- depends what the class votes for!).

Why did you get negged for that? :confused: I'll try even that up when I have some rep. :smile: (assuming I'm not PRSOM for you- I've seen you often enough in the past month or so! :lol: )

I did two general pastpapers today, hm go me -.- , i think ive just become lazy.

I plan to do notes tommorow and credit pp's on tuesday.

good luck with german, i have history too :frown:

And t'aaw thanks, Im not really fussed with this rep stuff atm, still dont understand why I got negged haha, yep seen you around alot too :biggrin:

What do you mean by PRSOM, im a tad slloooow:colondollar:
Original post by Aay
I did two general pastpapers today, hm go me -.- , i think ive just become lazy.

I plan to do notes tommorow and credit pp's on tuesday.

good luck with german, i have history too :frown:

And t'aaw thanks, Im not really fussed with this rep stuff atm, still dont understand why I got negged haha, yep seen you around alot too :biggrin:

What do you mean by PRSOM, im a tad slloooow:colondollar:

You're doing better than me. I've done zilch today. :ninja:

Thanks. :smile: What units are you doing? I'm doing Scotland and Britian 1830-1930, International co-operation and conflict 1890s to 1920s and Germany 1918- 1945.

Sorry- it stands for Please Rate Some Other Member. It's what comes up if you try to give someone rep that you've given to recently. :colondollar:

Quick Reply