The Student Room Group

Entry requirement enquiry

The university of Manchester has a requirement of AAB-AAA for history.
Does this mean that they can make me an offer of AAA if I'm predicted AAA?
Reply 1
Original post by historygirl
The university of Manchester has a requirement of AAB-AAA for history.
Does this mean that they can make me an offer of AAA if I'm predicted AAA?

The AAB offer will be for the more disadvantaged students from poorer income families, more deprived areas, poorer schools etc..
Reply 2
Sorry to hear that, maybe its worth giving IT a go instead ?
Reply 3
Original post by gtcalder
The AAB offer will be for the more disadvantaged students from poorer income families, more deprived areas, poorer schools etc..

no, your offer will be based on your prediction, this is a known fact.

However I do know this one guy that was predicted AAA and was only given a ABB offer for an extremely competitive course. I think it was because he was doing maths/physics
Reply 4
Original post by YB101
no, your offer will be based on your prediction, this is a known fact.

However I do know this one guy that was predicted AAA and was only given a ABB offer for an extremely competitive course. I think it was because he was doing maths/physics

lol, no. I was in exactly the same position as this student, I applied to Exeter having been predicted AAB, the course offered AAA-AAB and i was given a AAA offer, I inquired about this afterwards and found out the reasons I listed above were the reasons for giving students the lower offer.
lol, no. I was in exactly the same position as this student, I applied to Exeter having been predicted AAB, the course offered AAA-AAB and i was given a AAA offer, I inquired about this afterwards and found out the reasons I listed above were the reasons for giving students the lower offer.

Aaa isnt the lower, aab is?
Reply 6

I was talking specifically about Manchester lol
Reply 7
OP, they may well give you an AAA offer if you're predicted that - often unis do that so you'll put them as your firm choice, not your insurance.
as far as i've seen being from a worse off background has nothing to do with it - i was given an offer of ABB for a course whose requirements are AAA. they might give you a higher or lower offer depending on your GCSEs, experience and other things.
There are no hard and fast rules to this. It varies from university to university and course to course. As can be seen many times over on TSR, applicants often judge the status/quality of a course/university by the difficulty of its offers and so there's a sometimes bit of profile-raising going on, in which the university makes higher offers to attract the higher calibre candidate. They also sometimes do it so as to avoid being used as somebody's insurance.
I think it depends on loads of factors. Apparantly; local students or those from poor backgrounds/ bad schools, or doing harder subjects can get slightly lower offers.
Original post by Clare~Bear
I think it depends on loads of factors. Apparantly; local students or those from poor backgrounds/ bad schools, or doing harder subjects can get slightly lower offers.

Yes, there is truth in this also. A particularly relevant subject to the degree can help your case sometimes and there are also formulae used to calculate the local candidate's extra 'allowance'. Edinburgh is probably the most open about its local access scheme but all universities have them. Leeds, for example, has an extensive access programme. In the final analysis, though, offers are given out by real human beings who are influenced by all manner of things, which is why the prospectuses say 'typical offers'.
Reply 11
Original post by historygirl
x

OP - from another thread, Manchester History

Original post by srascal8
Incorrect judgement. A university can make either an AAA or an AAB offer if they wish. I was predicted AAB. I applied to Manchester for History, emailed them asking what, if any offer would they give. They replied saying to ensure candidates didn't make them their insurance, 95% of offers would be at the higher AAA range. 4 days after sending my application, an AAA offer arrived.
Reply 12
Originally Posted by srascal8

Incorrect judgement. A university can make either an AAA or an AAB offer if they wish. I was predicted AAB. I applied to Manchester for History, emailed them asking what, if any offer would they give. They replied saying to ensure candidates didn't make them their insurance, 95% of offers would be at the higher AAA range. 4 days after sending my application, an AAA offer arrived.
Thank you for the infomation - when I apply, I shall have to narrow my 6 AAA unis to 3.:s-smilie:
Am I right in thinking that it is sometimes better to have lower predicted grades because then you will probably get a lower offer?
Original post by SpiggyTopes
Am I right in thinking that it is sometimes better to have lower predicted grades because then you will probably get a lower offer?

You're more likely to miss out because there are other candidates who look better.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
You're more likely to miss out because there are other candidates who look better.

Damn!
Catch 22!!!
Original post by SpiggyTopes
Damn!
Catch 22!!!

:yep:

Quick Reply