The Student Room Group

"Teachers should not give sweets and chocolates as a reward"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shanij
I like this idea, giving students permanent things will probably cause them to remember you as being a "nice person" for much longer, therefore will motivate them to do well. If you give sweets, they'll eat it and forget about it the next day. If you give something permanent when they get home they will show their parents "My teacher gave this to me" they will leave it somewhere or play with it (depending on what it is) until it gets lost, they will see it everyday and that will motivate them, "My teacher gave me this, I want to do well"

I don't actually tend to give them out as a reward for good work. I just do it to celebrate the end of term, so that everybody gets something. I hope that the kids will see doing the work and being praised for it if it's good as a sufficient reward, but at the end of term, sometimes everyone needs a pat on the back, even those who don't get rewards everywhere else. I give my form Christmas and leaving presents, too. I hope that it makes the world a little bit more civilised.
Original post by Chad_Bronson
Not really - A few sweets every now and again won't make us fat :rolleyes:

It's not the few sweets, it is the association of eating as a reward which does. (My aunt blames this for making her fat, though she changed due to therapeutic sessions)
Original post by Shanij
Stickers make me feel good! Especially the "I went to the dentist and I was brave" ones, (despite the fact my dentist hasn't given me one in ages)
You are never to young to enjoy stickers :biggrin:

Are you never too old though? :tongue: Nah, school stickers never did it for me - but dentist ones are definitely :awesome:
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Are you never too old though? :tongue: Nah, school stickers never did it for me - but dentist ones are definitely :awesome:

Especially when the dentist allows you to decide which sticker you want! There's over 10 choices :O

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
OP if you agree with the statement...

Where you never hugged as a child or something?
WHY NOT?! SOme of my teachers do at the end of term and it just makes the wole experience more exciting!
Original post by Alexandra's Box

My experience is indeed that you're never too old. I've had sixth formers sobbing with nostalgia when I've given them those cheap plastic toys of the type you get in Christmas crackers. It's a kind of permission to leave the cares of A level and UCAS behind for just a minute or two while you race your hopping frog across the desk with someone else. The best things I ever found were whistles in the shape of lips. The common room was deafening for a whole lunch hour.
Original post by Donald Duck
I agree, make the kids feel good with stickers instead.

Will make fewer people fat.

I doubt giving kids a funsize pack of haribo as a reward for something is going to contribute much to the obesity rate.
Reply 28
No! The occasional sweet and little treat hardly does any harm, it's a great reward incentive for quizzes. And it doesn't have to be just sweets, but biscuits too. I remember in Reception every day during 'play-time' that we got to have a Rich Tea biscuit if we wanted to. It wasn't cookies or anything too trashy. At the time, Rich Tea biscuits never tasted so good!
Reply 29
Original post by Shanij
When you were young, did you get any rewards for your good actions?

From my teacher? I got a tick on my work and a good report.

It is not a teachers place to discipline or reward, that is a parents place, it is a teachers place to teach, a student in class should not have to be bribed into good behaviour, what is called good behaviour isn't even good behaviour its common respect and passiveness. If i sit in a classroom quietly getting on with my work i am considered good, its not good its neutral, and should require neither reward or punishment.

If a child does not want to learn then they should be removed from the class room so as not to disrupt other children, not fed chocolates so that they are too busy scoffing to shout obscene things at the teacher.
Original post by ConnorB
OP if you agree with the statement...

Where you never hugged as a child or something?

I was, but teachers are not allowed to hug us - there's nothing wrong with them giving us a reward. Even parents give rewards for good behaviour. You may say "parents being there for me is a good enough reward" but deep down, you know that you want a reward, you are probably lying if you disagree.

Reply 31
Original post by Shanij

•If a teacher is unaware of allergies a child has, they may give them a chocolate they shouldn't be eating

If the child has an allergy then they should always be curious as to the contents of any food being given to them.

I was always motivated to work in lessons because I usually enjoyed the subject. The fact that I could never eat any of the sweets given out meant it was probably just as well I did...

How fitting that there is a snickers advert under this post as I write it!
They did it once a week at my primary school but I don't think it worked. Kids don't really think about Fridays sweets on a Monday. The other problem was that they didnt want to give it based on something quantifiable like who gets the highest score on their spellings because they wanted to give the less brainy a chance so it ends up the teacher just picking who they want to give sweets to. That meant nobody really knew what they had to do to get the sweets so it didnt act as an incentive to do what ever it was the teachers wanted. Then the made it even worse by changing it from sweets to some fruit bar snack which most people didnt even like.
Original post by cid
From my teacher? I got a tick on my work and a good report.

It is not a teachers place to discipline or reward, that is a parents place, it is a teachers place to teach, a student in class should not have to be bribed into good behaviour, what is called good behaviour isn't even good behaviour its common respect and passiveness. If i sit in a classroom quietly getting on with my work i am considered good, its not good its neutral, and should require neither reward or punishment.

If a child does not want to learn then they should be removed from the class room so as not to disrupt other children, not fed chocolates so that they are too busy scoffing to shout obscene things at the teacher.

I agree with you at the fact that students shouldn't be bribed into good behaviour, as it will be harder for them to motivate themselves as they get older. However, do you think at a young age (3/4) rewards still shouldn't be given? Do you believe that a four year old is able to motivate themselves?

Why should there be a reward for doing well in school?
In primary school, we used to sit on our different tables in a competition each which to see who could get the most points (from doing good work/behaving well) and at the end of each week the winning table would get one stick of strawberry cable from the local corner shop. We used to love that and it gave us a good incentive to do the best we could so we could beat each other :biggrin: So I disagree with that statement.
Original post by Keckers
If the child has an allergy then they should always be curious as to the contents of any food being given to them.
!

But at such a young age, around 4, students probably are not aware of what ingredients they are not allowed. They may have a vague idea, but maybe not 100%. Also, at that age students may even think "my mum isn't here, let me just risk having a sweet, she won't know, nothing will happen"

One of the most embarrassing things about when you get into the later years at school is when a teacher gives you a sticker, it makes you feel like your 6 again, not 16. A packet of Haribos or a fun size Mars Bar is better as it can be appreciated by anyone of any age in my opinion.

Ps - That sounded a bit pompous, sorry.
Original post by Shanij
But at such a young age, around 4, students probably are not aware of what ingredients they are not allowed. They may have a vague idea, but maybe not 100%. Also, at that age students may even think "my mum isn't here, let me just risk having a sweet, she won't know, nothing will happen"

Schools have very comprehensive list of pupils' medical conditions which is circulated to all those who need to know. The class teacher would know not to give the child something. These things are flagged up very clearly, especially in the case of young children who can't be expected to take responsibility for themselves.
Reply 39
Original post by Shanij
I agree with you at the fact that students shouldn't be bribed into good behaviour, as it will be harder for them to motivate themselves as they get older. However, do you think at a young age (3/4) rewards still shouldn't be given? Do you believe that a four year old is able to motivate themselves?

Its the teachers job to motivate the young child, at that age children are inquisitive and can be quite receptive to education but teaching a toddler is different to teaching a teenager at a young age such as 3 or 4 a teacher should be trying to make the subject of their lessons fun.

If a teacher of children of such a young age is having to break out sweets, they should probably ask themselves if they're really cut out for the job.

Again just to keep it clear, i have no problem with celebration sweets, like at Christmas or on birthdays, or cupcakes or whatever.

I also think its unprofessional to accept gifts from students even at the end of term or post exams. But this is just my opinion and i fully appreciate why its done, i just feel it is unprofessional.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending