The Student Room Group

Ideal jobs for introverts?

I'm going to graduate next year with a 2:1 in physics and was just wondering if there were any jobs out there suitable for introverts?

I have to say that I am not a team player, and I work best on my own most of the time.
I have even done some of those psychological workshops to change my attitude but my introversion just can't get cured. I was born with it, and have been an introvert pretty much all my life. I know my introversion severely hampers my situation to get a good job, but I guess I just have to deal with it. I am not interested in getting rich or married anyway so it doesn't matter.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Have you had a job in the past?
Original post by od_bo
I'm going to graduate next year with a 2:1 in physics and was just wondering if there were any jobs out there suitable for introverts?

I have to say that I am not a team player, and I work best on my own most of the time.
I have even done some of those psychological workshops to change my attitude but my introversion just can't get cured. I was born with it, and have been an introvert pretty much all my life. I know my introversion severely hampers my situation to get a good job, but I guess I just have to deal with it. I am not interested in getting rich or married anyway so it doesn't matter.

I know you've done Physics as a degree, but I would hope that you're therefore pretty logically minded, and so a legal conversion course and a shot at the Bar could prove rewarding if you're good enough. Barristers are very much 'lone wolves' but then again you have to be somewhat sociable to get contacts etc. so I've just rendered my own argument redundant :smile: (you have to go around dining etc. as you're not allowed to advertise - the people you meet will recommend you, but you can't actively advertise).

Ummm otherwise how about being a quantitative analyst? If you have no plans to settle down etc. then as a bachelor you could rocket sky-high in the city. Your Physics degree is perfect for it, you'll have to work long and random hours on your own or with one or two others, and so it seems to fit what you're after :smile: also you get paid loooads :biggrin:

Also, almost all top firms will demand a 2:1, so that makes it even better for you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by od_bo
cured

:eek: Don't let anyone try to 'cure' you!
There's nothing wrong, you're just introverted that's all.

Do you think you would make a good academic, albeit not one who teaches?
There is nothing wrong with being introverted and you shouldn't change yourself drastically. You just need to be able to talk enough and be able to engage enough to make things work. Good scientists should be able to collaborate with others to discuss ideas that's all and even introverted people can do that as well.
You don't need to be amazingly extroverted in fact some employers employ people who work on their own (varied from companies).
Its not a disease to cure jeez its who you are man!, unless you have other issues (low self-esteem est). I suppose some R&D roles can be done on your own. browse through companies that interest you and read the job descriptions as i can't think of a generic role.
Reply 5
Original post by od_bo

Night shift security guard somewhere?
Original post by Junaid96
I know you've done Physics as a degree, but I would hope that you're therefore pretty logically minded, and so a legal conversion course and a shot at the Bar could prove rewarding if you're good enough. Barristers are very much 'lone wolves' but then again you have to be somewhat sociable to get contacts etc. so I've just rendered my own argument redundant :smile: (you have to go around dining etc. as you're not allowed to advertise - the people you meet will recommend you, but you can't actively advertise).

Ummm otherwise how about being a quantitative analyst? If you have no plans to settle down etc. then as a bachelor you could rocket sky-high in the city. Your Physics degree is perfect for it, you'll have to work long and random hours on your own or with one or two others, and so it seems to fit what you're after :smile: also you get paid loooads :biggrin:

Also, almost all top firms will demand a 2:1, so that makes it even better for you.

yeah your right you could also go for the role of patent attorneys some science/eng grads do that
Reply 7
Original post by placenta medicae talpae
:eek: Don't let anyone try to 'cure' you!
There's nothing wrong, you're just introverted that's all.

Do you think you would make a good academic, albeit not one who teaches?

I don't think a career in academia will be suitable for me :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Hopple
Night shift security guard somewhere?

I did look at that job sector but every job requires previous experience in the field.

Any idea on how I can get the experience in the first place?
http://education.yahoo.net/articles/careers_for_introverts_2.htm?kid=1MN8F

This was an article in Yahoo few days back. Hope it helps.
Reply 10
Original post by od_bo
I did look at that job sector but every job requires previous experience in the field.

Any idea on how I can get the experience in the first place?

"I'm good at staying up all night looking at video streams, here's my internet history to prove it" :tongue:

I hear they like ex cops, perhaps you could do some PCSOing. Getting as big as possible would be a good bet too to impress them. Have you actually applied for positions like that or are you just reading 'experienced required' on their adverts?
GCHQ?
Reply 12
Original post by CJM13
GCHQ?

had a look but they seem to require a first in maths and some C++ programming skills, which I don't have. :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending