The Student Room Group

Law at University of York

What is the University of York actually like for studying law? It doesn't seem to list optional modules on the York website as well, or at least I can't find any. What do people think of Law at York?
Reply 1
New course at respected university.

Unusual PBL/skills based approach to law, unlike black letter at most top unis. If you like the look of the course then it could be perfect for you.

Hard to judge it's graduate prospects as I think this year's is only the second graduating class, though as above the uni generally is well regarded.
Reply 2
Yeah I know about the PBL- I think it looks like a good course, I was just wondering what the optional modules specifically would be around the second and third year and what people think of the course as a whole- as you said it's still new though so there's probably not too many people to ask.
Reply 3
Original post by Alkain1607
Yeah I know about the PBL- I think it looks like a good course, I was just wondering what the optional modules specifically would be around the second and third year and what people think of the course as a whole- as you said it's still new though so there's probably not too many people to ask.

There are some examples here: http://www.york.ac.uk/law/ugrad/Prospectus%202012.pdf

Range from Philosophy of Criminal Law through to ADR. They can only ever give examples because sometimes a course is entirely run by a single academic and if they decide to move on they can't offer the course, though a new academic may teach a course in a similar field.
Reply 4
I see, thank you.
I've just graduated from the law school at York, and personally think very highly both of the course itself and the staff who work at the department.

If you have any specific questions let me know - I wouldn't like to comment on individual modules available in 2nd and 3rd year as I know the department are increasing the number of choices on offer (but I don't know which subjects they'll be!).
Reply 6
What did you think of it then? Was PBL Good? Does it continue in the second year, and would you recommend the uni to other people?
Apologies for the very slow reply!

PBL is used for all of the foundation stream modules throughout the three years, so all of the compulsory law subjects are covered through PBL sessions. It gets some getting used to, but I found it to be a far superior way of learning the material than just seminars and lectures.

If you want some more detailed information about how PBL works in Law (instead of its wider use in subjects like Medicine), this guide goes into a lot more detail: http://www.york.ac.uk/law/ugrad/pbl_guide.pdf

I would definitely recommend the course to other people. Though I'd suggest that you definitely look into whether PBL and the 'student firm' set up is something you'd like - if you're someone who likes working by themselves it might not be for you.

Am I right to presume that you would be applying for entry in 2013?
Reply 8
Original post by meercatman
Apologies for the very slow reply!

PBL is used for all of the foundation stream modules throughout the three years, so all of the compulsory law subjects are covered through PBL sessions. It gets some getting used to, but I found it to be a far superior way of learning the material than just seminars and lectures.

If you want some more detailed information about how PBL works in Law (instead of its wider use in subjects like Medicine), this guide goes into a lot more detail: http://www.york.ac.uk/law/ugrad/pbl_guide.pdf

I would definitely recommend the course to other people. Though I'd suggest that you definitely look into whether PBL and the 'student firm' set up is something you'd like - if you're someone who likes working by themselves it might not be for you.

Am I right to presume that you would be applying for entry in 2013?

Actually it's 2012- depending on results of course- just wanted to know what other people thought of PBL at York. I thought they were trying to implement it in some of the second year/ third year optional modules- or is that just a rumour?
Some of the optional modules incorporate PBL - it depends on which you decide to take.

For example, if you choose a module which is taught jointly with another department (such as philosophy or politics) they tend to use more traditional lecture/seminar structure. Though modules taught entirely within the law school (for example, Company Law, or Competition Law etc) tend to incorporate PBL in some form.

I'm still around at YLS next year, so will see you in the PBL area come October then!
Reply 10
Original post by meercatman
Some of the optional modules incorporate PBL - it depends on which you decide to take.

For example, if you choose a module which is taught jointly with another department (such as philosophy or politics) they tend to use more traditional lecture/seminar structure. Though modules taught entirely within the law school (for example, Company Law, or Competition Law etc) tend to incorporate PBL in some form.

I'm still around at YLS next year, so will see you in the PBL area come October then!

Fingers crossed
Reply 11
Actually you will be seeing me there!
Reply 12
Actually you will be seeing me there!

I'll be applying to york for 2013 entry! Can't wait, I've heard great things about the uni, Have you been to an open day?
Reply 13
Original post by ff2f
I'll be applying to york for 2013 entry! Can't wait, I've heard great things about the uni, Have you been to an open day?

Yeah, what I saw on the open day was great. They have a new building, I've seen the rooms that they use for PBL etc and it was brilliant. I cannot wait till October to start!
Reply 14
Yeah, what I saw on the open day was great. They have a new building, I've seen the rooms that they use for PBL etc and it was brilliant. I cannot wait till October to start!

PBL?

anyway, how did you find the campus?
Reply 15
Original post by ff2f
PBL?

anyway, how did you find the campus?

PBL is problem based learning. It's a unique learning system- instead of attending big lectures every day of the week- you learn in 'law firms'- given a legal problem and you have to try and find the right outcome to the case. I loved the campus when I went around, and I love York- but it's a long way for me to travel- coming up from Essex!

Quick Reply

Latest