Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gsp8181
You will never go to 9am lectures if you are doing anything less than medicine
You will never use metros/buses/taxis
Using more than one pot to cook your tea becomes too much effort if you are cooking for yourself
Tiger Tiger is never an option after freshers week
You will only have a bin in your room for less than one week, it will become a flat bin once it has inevitably been thrown up into
The fell computer cluster will be busier at 3am than any local kebab shop, it will also save your degree
You will sign up for every society known to man, you will probably go to none of them or one to get the free (insert club here) entrance card
Frosty Jacks and blackberry cordial becomes standard
Vodka is an expensive purchase
Your entire block will probably be in a state of half death after any good night at digital
Your TV Licence will never be paid, they will give up after the first month
Netflix and Project Free TV becomes your deity
A games console will probably be the most useless thing you can ever bring to uni
You will own the £10 samsung that tesco have at one point.
During the first term you will probably not go 48 hours without alcohol
Your interest free overdraft is just an extension of your loan
Tesco becomes too much distance to walk, Londis will be your savior
Londis becomes a social activity
Rahs travel in twos
12pm is still a lecture that requires time and effort to get up to
People will be walking around in all hours of the day and probably early night too

Could go on forever mind

Loving all this advice, cannot wait until september!
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by Steerforth
Loving all this advice, cannot wait until september!

Same! Funny but useful advice haha! X

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Digital on a Thursday, The Cut on a Friday, and Propaganda on Saturday will be a three day bender every so often.
is it worth the freshers wristband if you dont want to go to day events?
Reply 24
How will the course schedule look like in general? Will there be lectures early in the morning? And about textbooks, where can I find a list with all the textbooks. Didn't find anything on the Ncl Uni Website '_'
Reply 25
Original post by sammystarr1992
is it worth the freshers wristband if you dont want to go to day events?

I would say it most definitely is. The day events and freebies are fun but I'd get it just for the night events, not least because everyone will be going on them (especially if you're in halls) and you will feel massively left out if you don't - they're a great bonding experience, especially when they involve fancy dress and so on
Original post by Lugasio
How will the course schedule look like in general? Will there be lectures early in the morning? And about textbooks, where can I find a list with all the textbooks. Didn't find anything on the Ncl Uni Website '_'

It depends on the course you do. I only had 10 hours of contact time a week because my course is very dependent on extra reading that you do yourself, so my days started at noon and lasted for about 2 hours. But some of my friends had early mornings every day. Check your timetable on the 3rd of September and you'll be able to see it then.

And if you have login details then you can find your reading lists here:

https://rlo.ncl.ac.uk
Reply 27
Original post by Lugasio

It really depends what course you're doing - my earliest lectures were at 10 (though you might be really unlucky and end up with a 9 am seminar), but my friend who does dentistry was pretty much in 9-5 every day. Some courses are more structured, others are centered on independent learning - you should get sent e-mails with everything you need to know relatively soon, don't worry :smile:

For books, depends which faculty/school/modules etc, but you can try rlo.ncl.ac.uk for reading lists. If not, you'll get told in your introductory lecture for each module what books are esssential/required reading
Reply 28
Original post by Molokai
It really depends what course you're doing - my earliest lectures were at 10 (though you might be really unlucky and end up with a 9 am seminar), but my friend who does dentistry was pretty much in 9-5 every day. Some courses are more structured, others are centered on independent learning - you should get sent e-mails with everything you need to know relatively soon, don't worry :smile:

For books, depends which faculty/school/modules etc, but you can try rlo.ncl.ac.uk for reading lists. If not, you'll get told in your introductory lecture for each module what books are esssential/required reading

I'm doing Bsc Food and Nutrition. Haven't found any lists related to my course on that website, but thanks anyway! :smile:
Reply 29
gsp8181 has it spot on!

One or two points though:

Original post by gsp8181

A million times this. Don't ever put yourself through the hell that is Tiger Tiger, especially on a Wednesday.

The fell computer cluster will be busier at 3am than any local kebab shop, it will also save your degree

Make finding the 'Fell' cluster a priority when you do finally get round to studying if you are in Ricky Road/Marris House. I made the mistake of not finding it till the week before my final first year exams and was kicking myself.

Your entire block will probably be in a state of half death after any good night at digital

Digital is absolutely class on a decent night. Zap, 90's Hip Hop House Party and (I can't emphasise this last one enough- my favourite night in Newcastle) Alice are some of the best nights you'll go to.

Don't make the mistake of going to Digital on a normal night though

A games console will probably be the most useless thing you can ever bring to uni

I'd agree except for one major exception....FIFA. If you have a console and FIFA it will be played relentlessly all year long and will attract every bloke within a 500 metre radius. Your female housemates will hate you for it.

My advice would be save most of your overdraft and use it to go travelling in the summer with your new found uni friends. Just got back from a month long trip to Thailand and Laos using my overdraft money and it was the best decision I ever made (bar coming to Newcastle of course!)

Two words: Tesco deliveries (or Asda if you prefer!). If a few of you chip in for delivery costs it should cost no more then about 50p each for delivery.

Also, make use of the Granger market in town. Get your meat, fruit and veg from there. The butchers there will do seven packs of meat for a tenner and you get a great selection- no better deal anywhere else! Its worth the walk into town.

Oh, and no matter how tempting it may be (and tempting it most definitely is), don't waste your money on that takeaway across the road from Londis. Terrible food. If you have to, make the pilgrimage to the subway in the SU instead.

Other general points about Newcastle:

.Geordie lads don't like Scousers, Geordie girls do!

.Castle Leazes is rubbish

.Newcastle gets cold, but its not the North Pole that some people make it out to be

.Remember that for most subjects, first year is just pass or fail and you only need 40% to pass. It doesn't count towards your overall degree. Don't bog yourself down with work in first year- its not neccesary. Just concentrate on enjoying your time. Missing a lecture is no big deal. I made the mistake in the early days of trying to get in for a 9 o'clock lecture after a heavy night. I just sat in the corner, still steaming and trying not to be sick, before stumbling back to bed.

.Freshers Week is a bit ****. It might not have helped that I was ill before the week even started and the hangovers definitely didn't help. If you aren't too incapacitated try and make use of the day time activities which is where you'll get your moneys worth. Paintballing was the only one I managed to drag myself to and it was great fun.

.If you are lucky enough to get a sunny hot day, get your arse straight to Tynemouth!

.Its a while off, but when looking for your house next year don't start putting deposits down in the mad rush to get a house before Christmas. You get the best deals around late-Feb/March. Don't leave it any later then that though!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Azog 150
Digital is absolutely class on a decent night. Zap, 90's Hip Hop House Party and (I can't emphasise this last one enough- my favourite night in Newcastle) Alice are some of the best nights you'll go to.

Don't make the mistake of going to Digital on a normal night though

Good taste! Rebel thursdays was shocking when I last went but then again I hate Indie music.

Oh, and no matter how tempting it may be (and tempting it most definitely is), don't waste your money on that takeaway across the road from Londis. Terrible food. If you have to, make the pilgrimage to the subway in the SU instead.

Paying through the nose for him to take half an hour to put chips on, awful place, may as well buy a pizza

.Geordie lads don't like Scousers, Geordie girls do!

Can vouch for that!

My advice would be save most of your overdraft and use it to go travelling in the summer with your new found uni friends. Just got back from a month long trip to Thailand and Laos using my overdraft money and it was the best decision I ever made (bar coming to Newcastle of course!)

Knew quite a few people gone there or just come back! Or smash the festivals with the money, unfortunately the only thing I smashed was Aspers. Pretending your overdraft your loan isn't advice if anyones wondering, just reality for most of us :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by gsp8181
You will never go to 9am lectures if you are doing anything less than medicine
You will never use metros/buses/taxis
Using more than one pot to cook your tea becomes too much effort if you are cooking for yourself
You will only have a bin in your room for less than one week, it will become a flat bin once it has inevitably been thrown up into
You will sign up for every society known to man, you will probably go to none of them or one to get the free (insert club here) entrance card
Frosty Jacks and blackberry cordial becomes standard
Vodka is an expensive purchase
Your TV Licence will never be paid, they will give up after the first month
Netflix and Project Free TV becomes your deity
You will own the £10 samsung that tesco have at one point.
During the first term you will probably not go 48 hours without alcohol
Londis becomes a social activity
Rahs travel in twos
12pm is still a lecture that requires time and effort to get up to
People will be walking around in dressing gowns all hours of the day and probably early night too
Pasta and Pesto are a comedy duo that happens to be sufficient for any daily meal
House music will be weaponised and used as a form of battle between rooms/flats
Whatever time it is, someone will be up
Whatever time it is and even if you can hear a mouse tip toeing, the family flat will call university security about the noise

Could go on forever mind, but ricky road wise, university becomes the most annoying thing about university :smile:

God I forgot about that concoction, thinking back as a third year I dont know how I ever drank it, never EVER again D: The smell, oh god the smell.... :eek:

Also Id like to add, when looking for a second or third year house, DO NOT GO WITH WALTON ROBINSON ESTATE AGENTS. We went through a total nightmare with them, they are useless and have too many houses and not enough time or staff to look after them all. Dont just go with the big agents like we did cos you think they will be the best ones, a lot of the times having a smaller more independent estate agent/landlord is much better as they actually help you out when you have a problem.
Reply 32
Has anyone taken or know anything about the english assessment for international frshers? is it, especially the writing part, hard? any info is welcome!:smile:
The city is very beautiful and historic.
However if your looking for diversity Newcastle isn't the place for you, I'm from a very multicultural city and coming to Newcastle has been a massive culture shock, i can go days without seeing another black/mixed or Indian person.....well unless i look in the mirror. My course has around 300 people on it and out of them about 8 are not white, which i found quite shocking....
but don't let this put you off (most northern universities aren't very diverse) it's just something i wish someone had mentioned to me before coming :redface:
Reply 34
Original post by Pineappledogs
The city is very beautiful and historic.
However if your looking for diversity Newcastle isn't the place for you, I'm from a very multicultural city and coming to Newcastle has been a massive culture shock, i can go days without seeing another black/mixed or Indian person.....well unless i look in the mirror. My course has around 300 people on it and out of them about 8 are not white, which i found quite shocking....
but don't let this put you off (most northern universities aren't very diverse) it's just something i wish someone had mentioned to me before coming :redface:

Multiculturalism is not just about race you know. But I find your comment in general rather dishonest. You go days without seeing a non-white person? Newcastle's non-white population is something like 13%, which is in line with the England average, and is far higher than Cumbria and Northumberland which have a 4% non-white population.

In fact, I was in Newcastle today and went to borrow books from both Northumbria's university libraries, and saw non-white students all over the place (less at Coach Lane, mind). I used Newcastle's Robinson Library all through the summer and was often the only white student there; the rest were Asian.

Your comment is complete nonsense. Most northern universities are not very diverse? What the hell is that supposed to mean? You have been at Newcastle for a couple of months so can hardly have any experience to draw upon. I have studied at or used facilities in Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, Durham, Sunderland and Newcastle, and there were non-white students everywhere.

What northern university are you referring to? Lancaster? Teeside? Cumbria? And who are you comparing it to? Coming to Newcastle and expecting it to be as 'multicultural' as Bradford or Birmingham is just ridiculous.

This fallacy about northern universities is just nonsense. In fact, outside of certain faculties, you find southern universities like Bristol, where I did my masters, are almost exclusively white.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Lugasio
Has anyone taken or know anything about the english assessment for international frshers? is it, especially the writing part, hard? any info is welcome!:smile:

The writing part is normally an argumentative essay which is quite manageable as long as you write with structure. There's more than enough time to write though, so don't worry :smile:
Original post by evantej
Multiculturalism is not just about race you know. But I find your comment in general rather dishonest. You go days without seeing a non-white person? Newcastle's non-white population is something like 13%, which is in line with the England average, and is far higher than Cumbria and Northumberland which have a 4% non-white population.

In fact, I was in Newcastle today and went to borrow books from both Northumbria's university libraries, and saw non-white students all over the place (less at Coach Lane, mind). I used Newcastle's Robinson Library all through the summer and was often the only white student there; the rest were Asian.

Your comment is complete nonsense. Most northern universities are not very diverse? What the hell is that supposed to mean? You have been at Newcastle for a couple of months so can hardly have any experience to draw upon. I have studied at or used facilities in Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, Durham, Sunderland and Newcastle, and there were non-white students everywhere.

What northern university are you referring to? Lancaster? Teeside? Cumbria? And who are you comparing it to? Coming to Newcastle and expecting it to be as 'multicultural' as Bradford or Birmingham is just ridiculous.

This fallacy about northern universities is just nonsense. In fact, outside of certain faculties, you find southern universities like Bristol, where I did my masters, are almost exclusively white.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you've said but I'm from Birmingham and I do find it very noticeable when in other places and I feel like a noticeable minority (well technically I'm half white but you get what I'm saying). Even if it's not that white in comparison to a lot of England, it's still really quite noticeable having lived somewhere so diverse all my life.
It doesn't bother me at all and it would never put me off somewhere, but it can sometimes feel quite weird at first, even though you know it's ridiculous and irrational.
I feel stupid just saying it lol, and just too reiterate I doesn't give me a negative opinion of somewhere. I just get why sometimes it can seem strange and quite a significant change.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by Daniellejo.
I don't necessarily disagree with anything you've said but I'm from Birmingham and I do find it very noticeable when in other places and I feel like a noticeable minority (well technically I'm half white but you get what I'm saying). Even if it's not that white in comparison to a lot of England, it's still really quite noticeable having lived somewhere so diverse all my life.
It doesn't bother me at all and it would never put me off somewhere, but it can sometimes feel quite disconcerting at first, even though you know it's ridiculous and irrational.
I feel stupid just saying it lol, and just too reiterate I doesn't give me a negative opinion of somewhere. I just get why sometimes it can seem strange and quite a significant change.

Of course you are going to notice a difference when you move to Newcastle, where one in ten are non-white, if you lived in Birmingham, where just over one in two are white. There is nothing strange in that; just simple mathematics! :tongue:

If you look at the UK as a whole you have to realise that places like Birmingham, Leicester and, to a lesser extent, Nottingham are the odd ones out though. (I ignore London because all capital cities have huge immigrant populations). Most other cities are predominately white (usually between 75% to 90%), and this increases quite dramatically when you get to the fringes (e.g. Carlisle and Exeter are both 97% white).

I hope you can appreciate why I criticised Pineappledogs at length.
Original post by jasmine90
God I forgot about that concoction, thinking back as a third year I dont know how I ever drank it, never EVER again D: The smell, oh god the smell.... :eek:

Also Id like to add, when looking for a second or third year house, DO NOT GO WITH WALTON ROBINSON ESTATE AGENTS. We went through a total nightmare with them, they are useless and have too many houses and not enough time or staff to look after them all. Dont just go with the big agents like we did cos you think they will be the best ones, a lot of the times having a smaller more independent estate agent/landlord is much better as they actually help you out when you have a problem.

Heed this warning- WALTON ROBINSON are a complete nightmare. They are vindictive and totally unwilling to listen or enter into any reasonable dialogue when you have left one of their properties, which may, coincidently, need a bit of money spending on it. This may be rising damp or any other improvement that they deem needs subsidising by the money cow which are students (or their parents). They will be determined to have their day in the small claims court rather than take ANY reasonable offer tendered to, for example, cover cleaning costs. In their desperation to go to court, they will overlook detail and sue even those who have offered payment, left the property clean, and paid rent all year on time. The little detail of holding you all joint and severally liable comes into play. BE WARNED!!
Original post by Daniellejo.
It doesn't bother me at all and it would never put me off somewhere, but it can sometimes feel quite disconcerting at first, even though you know it's ridiculous and irrational.

The Midlands cities and London are largely exceptions to the rule though, I grew up in Leicester and always sort of assumed Indians accounted for a far larger % of the population than they actually do.

Newcastle's not particularly diverse and what diversity there is is generally East Asian, but it's no different to several other cities i've lived in.