The Student Room Group

So people think Im gay (You "look" gay)

Posting anonymously, and tbh I spose it shouldn't bother me *that* much, but I get people making references to me being gay, despite me being straight.

They say words like "bend over" " I love you" etc... It has to be said, that the guys who say this *are* mainly guys and a bit chavvy

I like to dress a bit smarter, and I generally like to take care of myself. I go to the gym, but don't really have that gym body :tongue: I have a bit of fat, that I want to get rid of still!

I tend to treat people with respect, regardless of gender, which is what these people don't seem to do, and girls have said things like "aww... you're so sweet, that's so sweet, you're a diamond in the rocks" etc...

I suppose Im also a tad insecure about my own image - guys aren't meant to be insecure!, and I've asked girls here to "rate" us in the past, and to my surprise, though still possibly just trying to make me feel better, girls have said that I'm pretty attractive?

Or like with this girl I talk to on fb(She's getting married soon), she mentioned how x was "fit" and I joked "Im not?" and she asked me to show one of my pics, and I linked her one, and she said "God you're hot" :colondollar: and asked me if girls ask me out or not, and I was like "no :frown:" when she replied "Why you're really fit?"

Just saying I have no romantic interest in this person, but just someone nice to talk to. Besides, she's getting married soon.

I mean I don't consider myself so attractive but if I am, perhaps those guys see me as a threat? I don't know why, when I'm not the greatest with girls :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Or like with this girl I talk to on fb(She's getting married soon), she mentioned how x was "fit" and I joked "Im not?"

There's a big difference between a joke (making somebody else laugh) and expressing your insecurities.
Reply 2
Original post by The_Last_Melon
There's a big difference between a joke (making somebody else laugh) and expressing your insecurities.

Hmmm perhaps. I don't know this girl *that* well though :biggrin:

Oh, and I have a different accent. Ive not been to the local schools since about the age of 11, so I've been schooled elsewhere for about 5 years, I studied in another city when I went to college, and I've moved several counties away for uni, and Im probably going to move again - possibly even further away for a placement.

Lots of people can guess where abouts in the country Im from, but lots of people also say my accent is "weird"

No way in hell though does my accent correlate with that to pretty much every one in my home town, due to my unique exposure of other parts of the country, compared to most people :biggrin:
a diamond in the rocks?
Reply 4
Meh, it happens. I've had a couple of people think I'm gay or allude to their thinking I might be because of the way I dress and act at times. Just learn not to give a ****, easiest way to deal with it. That, or sleep with their friends :cool:
Urghh ignore them, they are waste.
Reply 6
Can't you just throw the same comments on them? Don't listen to what they're saying.
Posting anonymously, and tbh I spose it shouldn't bother me *that* much, but I get people making references to me being gay, despite me being straight.

They say words like "bend over" " I love you" etc... It has to be said, that the guys who say this *are* mainly guys and a bit chavvy

I like to dress a bit smarter, and I generally like to take care of myself. I go to the gym, but don't really have that gym body :tongue: I have a bit of fat, that I want to get rid of still!

I tend to treat people with respect, regardless of gender, which is what these people don't seem to do, and girls have said things like "aww... you're so sweet, that's so sweet, you're a diamond in the rocks" etc...

I suppose Im also a tad insecure about my own image - guys aren't meant to be insecure!, and I've asked girls here to "rate" us in the past, and to my surprise, though still possibly just trying to make me feel better, girls have said that I'm pretty attractive?

Or like with this girl I talk to on fb(She's getting married soon), she mentioned how x was "fit" and I joked "Im not?" and she asked me to show one of my pics, and I linked her one, and she said "God you're hot" :colondollar: and asked me if girls ask me out or not, and I was like "no :frown:" when she replied "Why you're really fit?"

Just saying I have no romantic interest in this person, but just someone nice to talk to. Besides, she's getting married soon.

I mean I don't consider myself so attractive but if I am, perhaps those guys see me as a threat? I don't know why, when I'm not the greatest with girls :biggrin:

Maybe they think your a threat.. Or you dont envisage manliness in their opinion.. But who cares.. If your hot get over it. You know your not gay so just tell the guys you aren't!
Reply 8
meh... i definitely don't dress gay i'm far too disorganized - I don't talk gay either... but still apparently the way I move about is gay enough for several girls to decide I was gay >.<
Don't worry about it. It can be frustrating, for sure; one party I had 3 separate boys asking me if I was a 'dyke' (hate that word) and I can only assume the reason was that I had short hair. I say this, but I am actually bi :P i was dancing with guys though, not girls, so... Still the same situation.

I also have a friend who people think is gay, but it's only because he's very very handsome but doesn't appear at all interested in girls/hasn't got/had a gf etc. people just assume for silly reasons. Don't let it bother you. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by SleepySheep
a diamond in the rocks?

Yeah I didn't get that reference either, until I googled it

Original post by Steevee
Meh, it happens. I've had a couple of people think I'm gay or allude to their thinking I might be because of the way I dress and act at times. Just learn not to give a ****, easiest way to deal with it. That, or sleep with their friends :cool:

Hmm perhaps. I won't be sleeping with their friends lol. Im Muslim and gonna stick to the whole virginity thing (would rather not have a debate on that please!)

I suppose that no girl has ever said Im gay though. Well apart from the girl who I talked about above who asked "Why? Are you gay" in relation to why no one's asked me out :wink:
diamond in the rocks?
Yeah I get this a fair bit. People ask if I'm gay for the following reasons:

Because I don't bang on about having sex all the time
I don't try and "pull" (I never really buy girls drinks/dance with them)
I have a kind of unique look which sometimes is deemed gay
When people ask if I'm gay I often say that I am gay for the sake of it

I'm not gay. The thought of having sex with a man really doesn't do anything for me.
Reply 13
Original post by SleepySheep
a diamond in the rocks?

Just to expand on what I wrote earlier. Apparently, it means Im a rarity :colondollar: ie: finding a diamond whilst sifting through rocks. I guess it's a compliment
Reply 14
Maybe you could try to be less of an effeminate pussy.
Reply 15
I seem to get accused a lot. :frown:
Original post by Palatial Veranda
Yeah I get this a fair bit. People ask if I'm gay for the following reasons:

Because I don't bang on about having sex all the time
I don't try and "pull" (I never really buy girls drinks/dance with them)
I have a kind of unique look which sometimes is deemed gay
When people ask if I'm gay I often say that I am gay for the sake of it

I'm not gay. The thought of having sex with a man really doesn't do anything for me.

I think this might be the main reason that people think you're gay. If I ask a guy if he's gay and he says he is, I tend to just assume that he's gay.
Original post by alexmagpie
I think this might be the main reason that people think you're gay. If I ask a guy if he's gay and he says he is, I tend to just assume that he's gay.

Yeah. I think that one does tend to be the clincher.
Reply 18
It's the accent thing I think, when I moved from the south to the midlands people decided I "sounded gay" because I had a southern accent which was relatively posh :/
The main thing is dont let it bother you, if you stop caring a about it and laugh it off people will stop saying it. Or you could just get a girlfriend lol

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

You sure they weren't calling you "a diamond in the rough"?

Quick Reply

Latest