The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Accommodation Thread for Entry 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I got an offer for Edinburgh to do Cognitive Sciences and am pretty certain of going there.
Now, the accommodation has gone live, but I still can't access it on myEd for some reason.
I also have questions about the accommodation options.
My top 3 options so far are:
1. Murano (studio room)
2. Deaconess (single ensuite)
3. Portsburgh Court (single ensuite)
About me: I'm an international student from Thailand, but I have been going to school here for three years. Right now, I'm in a sixth form in Oxford. Currently, I am staying in a studio room with kitchen in the basement. I really enjoy cooking. It's my hobby. So I am hoping to get a studio room.

The problem is I have heard that Leith Walk (where Murano is situated in) is really dodgy, with Trainspotting-like neds and junkies. As I'm a girl, and as you see, very far away from home, I am concerned if I will fit in with Murano's environment. Are there lots of drunk college students that disturb your peace?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Are their any residences with a reputation for noise and drunk students? Trying to avoid that :P
Hi, I'm about to firm Edinburgh for Eng Lit, and am unsure about accommodation. Want to go to Pollock Halls, but want to know if Chancellors Court is worth the extra money over Holland House or even Baird. Thank you! Is anyone else going for Pollock Halls and if so, which one?
Reply 603
Original post by Kelmanator
Are their any residences with a reputation for noise and drunk students? Trying to avoid that :P

If Memory serves me right portsborough court can be noisy at night because it's on a busy street.

Posted from TSR Mobile
make sure you guys join the Facebook group to ask any questions :smile: facebook.com/groups/925767134160872/
Original post by Kelmanator

Avoid anything on Cowgate!! Also Deaconess can be quite loud because there's a lot of metal steps etc in the courtyard

Original post by ohitstia
Hi, I'm about to firm Edinburgh for Eng Lit, and am unsure about accommodation. Want to go to Pollock Halls, but want to know if Chancellors Court is worth the extra money over Holland House or even Baird. Thank you! Is anyone else going for Pollock Halls and if so, which one?

Chancellors is generally full of rich internationals as it's basically a hotel (is actually a hotel over summer). I know your rooms get cleaned every day, and there's a nice kitchenette area that's pretty big. However it is so crazily expensive, and you'll meet a much wider range of people at Baird! I have a friend there and it's got nice rooms, a nice common room too. If I were you I'd go Baird, or Holland- I imagine it's pretty similar.

EDIT: This is last year's thread by the way!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Planckton
Avoid anything on Cowgate!! Also Deaconess can be quite loud because there's a lot of metal steps etc in the courtyard

Chancellors is generally full of rich internationals as it's basically a hotel (is actually a hotel over summer). I know your rooms get cleaned every day, and there's a nice kitchenette area that's pretty big. However it is so crazily expensive, and you'll meet a much wider range of people at Baird! I have a friend there and it's got nice rooms, a nice common room too. If I were you I'd go Baird, or Holland- I imagine it's pretty similar.

EDIT: This is last year's thread by the way!

Is Deaconess that bad? It was my first choice because it seemed decently quiet and close to everything. Are the metal steps only bad if you're in specific places?
Original post by sjohnson98
Is Deaconess that bad? It was my first choice because it seemed decently quiet and close to everything. Are the metal steps only bad if you're in specific places?

Oh damn no I didn't mean Deaconess, that's Darroch Court lol sorry! Go for Deaconess! What course are you doing?
Original post by Planckton
Oh damn no I didn't mean Deaconess, that's Darroch Court lol sorry! Go for Deaconess! What course are you doing?

I put Darroch Court too but not as my first choice. Awesome! History
Original post by Poonnapa
Hi, I got an offer for Edinburgh to do Cognitive Sciences and am pretty certain of going there.
Now, the accommodation has gone live, but I still can't access it on myEd for some reason.
I also have questions about the accommodation options.
My top 3 options so far are:
1. Murano (studio room)
2. Deaconess (single ensuite)
3. Portsburgh Court (single ensuite)
About me: I'm an international student from Thailand, but I have been going to school here for three years. Right now, I'm in a sixth form in Oxford. Currently, I am staying in a studio room with kitchen in the basement. I really enjoy cooking. It's my hobby. So I am hoping to get a studio room.

The problem is I have heard that Leith Walk (where Murano is situated in) is really dodgy, with Trainspotting-like neds and junkies. As I'm a girl, and as you see, very far away from home, I am concerned if I will fit in with Murano's environment. Are there lots of drunk college students that disturb your peace?

I lived on Leith Walk for my final year. It's really not that bad, unless you go out of your way to start fights or wear a Hearts/Hibs jersey or something like that. It's cheap and there's a big Tesco at the bottom of Leith Walk, which you'll grow to appreciate after years of expensive Sainsbury's Locals and Tesco Metros!
Original post by sjohnson98
I put Darroch Court too but not as my first choice. Awesome! History

Ah okay sweet! What else did you choose?
Reply 611
Odd question: which accommodation has nice sidewalks around it?
I plan to skateboard to the university and back.
CompSci student, so going to the main central building.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by pecora
Odd question: which accommodation has nice sidewalks around it?
I plan to skateboard to the university and back.
CompSci student, so going to the main central building.

I think edinburgh has a lot of cobblestone making it hard to skate. I also want to skateboard around the area though :colondollar:
Hi! I'm in Chancellor's court next year, and I was wondering how serious they are about not letting you put posters up on the walls?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending