The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qwerty_mad
Were there any tensions/reluctance on either side, if I may ask?

Nope, everyone was happy!
Reply 41
sadly .. if u want to keep everyone in the family happy
Original post by AishaTara
I dont see why non asians don't get it :frown: it's just a thing they'll never get and just have to accept our views :/

true cos they havent experienced whats it like being us and our parents have different morals to non asians what can we do :tongue:
Reply 43
why do non-asians have a problem with it anyway?
Reply 44
Varies between families I think - some are more tied to their culture than others, you can't group them all together.
Reply 45
I don't even know why it's frowned upon so much but my parents... goshhh, if they knew I even thought about liking white boys they'd be like :O WAT? YOU WANT TO ELOPE WITH WHITE MAN?

(Well, their thoughts would not be so primitive; I am exaggerating here haha) Even though my mum recognises the hotness that men of other races possess, I am probably (definitely) getting married to an Indian dude.

I'll invite y'all.
Reply 46
Original post by Tinkle

What problem?
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Well that's not what you said before; you just said they would let you marry who you want "as long as they are muslim".
Doesn't matter if it's not arranged, the sentiment of having to marry someone in your religion regardless of what you MAY want is still there.

To be honest you should decide who you marry based on who you meet and fall in love with, not decide the ethnicity and religion of them before you've even met anyone :/ seems really silly.

well not really because they'd be social factors for example, I don't drink, wouldn't want alcohol in the house, but an english husband might do etc
well there are about over 10million muslims so I dont think I'd be limited for choice really :P
and I should yes your right, but personally well I wouldn't fall in love with another nationality, because I just don't feel anything in that way for them only like friends :/ the same way some of my english friends say they dont feel any attraction to asians
Reply 48
I dont see why non asians don't get it :frown: it's just a thing they'll never get and just have to accept our views :/

When in Rome
Reply 49
Original post by member264988
My aunty is a pakistani, she married a bengalii ..
so i don't think it matters to every asian parent, however its still true :frown:

If your uncle is Bangladeshi though technically that was once Pakistan...

Edit: if you're gonna neg me for stating a fact have the courtesy to explain it. Yes i get you may not appreciate the association i made and that Pakistan neglected that part of its country before bangladesh got its freedom, but fact is the poster's family may have been more accepting because bangla and pakistan aren't worlds apart... It's not like the poster's aunty married a chinese or british or american person.. That's all i was trying to say :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by hasan4life
true cos they havent experienced whats it like being us and our parents have different morals to non asians what can we do :tongue:

Break out of the tradition. Your parents are just holding on to what they believe is right. Thing is: that is not what all the Asians of this generation believe. I would tell such Asians to not carry on a tradition due to pressure or guilt, but do what they feel is right.
Reply 51
theres nothing wrong with marrying who you want! if i wanna marry a indian becasue im an indian and that makes me happy why do non-asians have a problem with it? and why do non-asians have a problem with everything we do!
Reply 52
It's so true. I have a friend who says that he has no option but to marry a person of his own kind (not just same religion) and its the same with many of my female Asian friends.

I'm talking South-Asian here. So a Pakistani for a Pakistani; Indian for an Indian and so on.

Why, though?

This is utter rubbish. I am South Asian and two of my aunts are married to white men, which is great news because I have a route into the United States now :smile:

On a separate note, why must they marry at all? It isn't a legal requirement, you know?
Reply 53

Their more liberal, not tied down to and dictated by culture in the way you guys are.
Reply 54
Original post by daryl
What problem?

marrying our "own kind"?
Reply 55
why can't we all **** each other?

On a serious note. Not asian but my dad's only on bothered about her being a Christian, mum'd probably be upset if i brought a white girl home cos she's more traditional but she really doesn't get a say. Can't wait to see who i end up getting hitched to haha
Original post by Tinkle
theres nothing wrong with marrying who you want! if i wanna marry a indian becasue im an indian and that makes me happy why do non-asians have a problem with it? and why do non-asians have a problem with everything we do!

I'm with you with that one! Sme I want to stick to my own race and people are like whyy, is it because of your parents influence?? Which isn't true at all, i came to that conclusion myself.
Reply 57
Original post by Tinkle

i dont think they necessarily have a problem with it tbh i just think that its a bit weird fro them seeing as they come from a completely different culture from us so to them its just a a bit weird. like when the first Asians probably arrived in england they may have found it weird and strange that people of different races and religions are getting married to each other. but if you look how things have changed over the last couple of years a lot of Asian parent have become more tolerant and do allow their children to get married to get married to different races and religions.
and as for Muslims, well there is nothing wrong with them getting married to non asians or asians as long they follow Islam whether that means one of the partners may have to convert or not. :smile:
It's so true. I have a friend who says that he has no option but to marry a person of his own kind (not just same religion) and its the same with many of my female Asian friends.

I'm talking South-Asian here. So a Pakistani for a Pakistani; Indian for an Indian and so on.

Why, though?

Well I asked my mum the same question and these are the reasons she listed:
-communication, she wouldn't be able to communicate with them and doesn't want her grand-children to loose the culture and ability to speak the mother language
-she thinks that a white person is more likely to divorce than other racial groups and divorce is frowned upon,
-she thinks that most white girls/guys only date other races to get a taste/to experiment and that they actually are repulsed by ethnic minorities, sub-consciously :dontknow:

But not all of them are like that, just the people who are really religious and cultural. I personally don't really care about the race of the person I date. :h:
Reply 59
Original post by Tinkle
marrying our "own kind"?

Let the natives enjoy Asian girls

Latest

Trending

Trending