The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Our game tomorrow at Colchester is off due to a frozen pitch. :frown: Thought they would have under soil heating as a new stadium but obviously can't afford it. At least it has been called off early for the fans!

That is 2 games that have to be re-arranged now.
Yeah, Oxford's game vs Barnet is off too, now I have to find something to do tomorrow!
Nervous about the game tomorrow at St Andrews, most important game of the season so far!
Original post by Super_Hans
Nervous about the game tomorrow at St Andrews, most important game of the season so far!

I'm going. Come on you blue boys!!!!

We owe you a pasting after what you did to us at your place :tongue:
Reply 6764
The last time a game was cancelled i was 10 minutes away from the ground. Thank god they've done it day before this time, would have been horrible driving to colchester then stright back/
Original post by Dimyan
The last time a game was cancelled i was 10 minutes away from the ground. Thank god they've done it day before this time, would have been horrible driving to colchester then stright back/

Yep, well done to the referee for making an early decision.
Original post by ipswichblade
Yep, well done to the referee for making an early decision.

Why all grounds in the League can't have undersoil heating is beyond me. Probably costs less than 1,000 seats to install.
Original post by sr90
It doesn't cost much to install, but it costs a fortune to run and messes up the pitch. It makes no sense for small clubs like Colchester (with average gates of around 4,000) to spend all that money on something that will at most, save a few games per season.

This. Plus some clubs like my beloved Oxford don't actually own their stadium, which I imagine complicates things further.
Reply 6768
Apparently undersoil heating costs around £400k just to install and then thousands to run for a few days so its not really worth it to save maybe 1 game a season. We don't have it at our stadium, built in 2006. The council cut it from the final plans to save money.
(edited 12 years ago)
loads of games off now
tomorrow, bbc1, lunchtime kick-off - Derby v Forest! COYR! :woohoo:
We've got pitch covers at St James Park, and even then that was bought using some sort of fan raised fund through the trust, rather than the club itself, so undersoil heating is way out of our league. We seem to be having a few backroom issues at the moment, the one of the members of the board of the supporters trust (which is the majority shareholder) has managed to fall out with everyone on the board of the club itself, due to a football site he runs, and the fact that he's trying to throw his weight around a bit, can't see that it will mean anything in the long run, but it does highlight an issue with Fan owned clubs, if the club ever needed to dip into the reserve fund there could be problems if neither of the boards are actually speaking to each other.
huzzah.

Beckford and Danns sent off and losing 1-0. Today has been an incredibly crap day.
Reply 6773
Original post by Alofleicester
huzzah.

Beckford and Danns sent off and losing 1-0. Today has been an incredibly crap day.

You were unlucky today to be fair. We didn't play very well even with 11 vs 10, once we got the goal it was kind of all over, the game as a whole was fairly even. Plus the fact you actually finished with only 8 men on the pitch. The fans kept going all game though!
Sheffield Wednesday up to second after Huddersfield dropped points against MK Dons.
Stevenage do the double over Sheffield Wednesday with a 1-0 win at Hillsborough nicely complimenting our 5-1 win at home last September. This gives us an all-time record over Sheffield clubs of three played, three won, with an aggregate score of 8-2.

Now we just need to beat Sheffield United at Bramall Lane in April and we'll have completed a very unexpected quadruple. That also means that, providing we win our games in hand, we should be up to 4th in the league, and it'll be 3rd if we win our upcoming game against Huddersfield Town. Suddenly, automatic promotion is a real possibility, not so bad for the rank outsiders back in August!

But the league campaign is to take the backfoot for a week now, as we host Tottenham Hotspur in the last sixteen of the FA Cup on Saturday! Tickets went like gold dust (the armchairs always come out of the woodwork for games like this) but, thanks to my membership in the Supporters' Association, I got my ticket with no bother.
(edited 12 years ago)
Up the football league we go :biggrin:
wemberleyyyy
Original post by roseroserose.
Up the football league we go :biggrin:
wemberleyyyy

:shh:
Original post by Alofleicester

:shh:

:hand:
aaah, but he cheated and moved it forward 5 yards - wouldn't have happened if the ref had paid attention. :mad:

Latest