The Student Room Group

English Language AQA ENGB3 11th June 2012 exam

This thread is for those who are going to do English Language B Unit 3, of child aquisition, and English history.

Use this to revise with each other, share resources/notes etc

[SCROLL]:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:[/SCROLL]

Scroll to see replies

http://www.universalteacher.org.uk/contents.htm#langa

This is an excellent website I got a lot of revision notes from. It covers language acquisition, language change, the history of English, Estuary English etc. I have a few revision notes I could share if anyone's interested just let me know and I'll send them to you. :smile:

This is the AQA exam on the 11th June? Good Luck to everyone sitting it! :smile:
Original post by rebeccadaleyx
http://www.universalteacher.org.uk/contents.htm#langa

This is an excellent website I got a lot of revision notes from. It covers language acquisition, language change, the history of English, Estuary English etc. I have a few revision notes I could share if anyone's interested just let me know and I'll send them to you. :smile:

This is the AQA exam on the 11th June? Good Luck to everyone sitting it! :smile:

Could you send me some?
Also how long are the answers supposeed to be?

I can't believe it's on the 11th of June, in previous cases it has been much later June, which would leave us time to revise for only that subject.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by y.yousef
Could you send me some?
Also how long are the answers supposeed to be?

I can't believe it's on the 11th of June, in previous cases it has been much later June, which would leave us time to revise for only that subject.

Well I only have two exams anyway - English Language and English Literature and they're nine days apart so I'm not too stressed yet :smile:

& of course I will - I only have some on the laptop I'm on which I'll send but I also have some on the sixth computer which I'll save to memory stick and send over as well :smile:
Well I only have two exams anyway - English Language and English Literature and they're nine days apart so I'm not too stressed yet :smile:

& of course I will - I only have some on the laptop I'm on which I'll send but I also have some on the sixth computer which I'll save to memory stick and send over as well :smile:

Oooh they, look very handful indeed, thankyou.

And an advanced thankyou, for suggesting to gt some documents from your school.

Mine has none :/

But when I DO make some notes, i shall give them to you! :biggrin:
No worries :smile:
All the notes I have at sixth form are one's that I collected myself as we don't get given many either. Although the one's I attached a number of them my teacher sent over our virtual learning centre so that's why I have them :smile:

And that would be fab thank you! :smile: let me know if there's anything else I can help with :smile:
No worries :smile:
All the notes I have at sixth form are one's that I collected myself as we don't get given many either. Although the one's I attached a number of them my teacher sent over our virtual learning centre so that's why I have them :smile:

And that would be fab thank you! :smile: let me know if there's anything else I can help with :smile:

Ooh that's good then, you know how is your english teacher at teaching.
Because I tell ya, mine is horrible, she sits on her fat lazy ass all day, no joke.
And we just chat all lesson. :mad:
Ooh that's good then, you know how is your english teacher at teaching.
Because I tell ya, mine is horrible, she sits on her fat lazy ass all day, no joke.
And we just chat all lesson. :mad:

My teacher is the exact same! I've had to teach myself the Reading and Writing sections as she's somehow got into her head that we're ready to revise it... when we haven't even covered it :s-smilie: she sets us pointless activities and spends the rest of the lesson planning classes for different student, it's a joke...

Suppose we have to make the best of a bad situation though really :smile: fingers crossed hard work will pay off!
My teacher is the exact same! I've had to teach myself the Reading and Writing sections as she's somehow got into her head that we're ready to revise it... when we haven't even covered it :s-smilie: she sets us pointless activities and spends the rest of the lesson planning classes for different student, it's a joke...

Suppose we have to make the best of a bad situation though really :smile: fingers crossed hard work will pay off!

Exactly, it ridiculous that they're not doing their job properly, but i've learnt to never rely on teachers and do my own thing. I tend to miss alot of lessons and just go home and try doing something there.
For language history, my teacher has been teaching us pre 17th century for 3 months now!!
She keeps saying 'you need to know the background' !! we know the bludy background.
The spec says you only need to know 17th centruy plus. :/
I love your positive outlook on this situation :wink:
Very productive girl you are.
it's AQA
I see there are a few people only doing this exam thenn :holmes:
Reply 11
I know, I think English Language is probably considered as some sort of Media A level, so it doesn't deserve a thread :dry:
But yeah, just make your own thread, that's what I did, found one person, so I PM her, and get some work and revise back and forth.

Yeah, printing press or something. Well basically what our teacher has done is, she's only taught us 16th century minus...
She keeps saying you need to knwo the 'background'..she's been giving us tons and tons of paper about the background for 3months now :nothing:

so again, just gonna go home and do everything maself. With CLA, i dunt understand it like how do i set out the structure of the exam, that's all i need to knwo..the content of it i can learn within a day, same with language change, bare confuzzled :s-smilie:

I thought I'd keep all the English stuff in this thread, haha. I'm gonna go create a thread for my course now (English Language A)! How dare you compare English Language to Media, I'm wanting to study it at university, hehe! :wink:

Well I studied CLA last year for AS and really enjoyed it. The questions in June 2011 and January 2012 allowed me to structure the essay around the theories, which is probably quite a good basis. I suppose there's two ways.

The first way is to start with the theories and link the features to it. For example, if you were talking about the role of the caregiver then you could start by saying it's important. Link it to Skinner and talk about reinforcement, then mention something like overgeneralisation which suggests language is indeed learnt because mistakes are made.
On the other hand, it may be an issue with the LAD... then you could go on to talk about Chomsky and the nativist theory, linking it to other features such as virtuous errors, etc.

The second way is to go through the features, and link it to the theories. For example, if you were talking about the role of the caregiver then you could say.. "overgeneralisations would suggest the caregiver is indeed important.. this was backed up by Skinner".. etc.. etc.

Both are equally good ways because you're getting the same information down, although I'd probably lean towards the former because it seems a tad more structured.
Original post by StitchMad
I thought I'd keep all the English stuff in this thread, haha. I'm gonna go create a thread for my course now (English Language A)! How dare you compare English Language to Media, I'm wanting to study it at university, hehe! :wink:

Well I studied CLA last year for AS and really enjoyed it. The questions in June 2011 and January 2012 allowed me to structure the essay around the theories, which is probably quite a good basis. I suppose there's two ways.

The first way is to start with the theories and link the features to it. For example, if you were talking about the role of the caregiver then you could start by saying it's important. Link it to Skinner and talk about reinforcement, then mention something like overgeneralisation which suggests language is indeed learnt because mistakes are made.
On the other hand, it may be an issue with the LAD... then you could go on to talk about Chomsky and the nativist theory, linking it to other features such as virtuous errors, etc.

The second way is to go through the features, and link it to the theories. For example, if you were talking about the role of the caregiver then you could say.. "overgeneralisations would suggest the caregiver is indeed important.. this was backed up by Skinner".. etc.. etc.

Both are equally good ways because you're getting the same information down, although I'd probably lean towards the former because it seems a tad more structured.

I know, it ain't me, it's other ppl init, they keep telling me Eng Lang is easy :mad: When it ain't.
I'll keep your thread alive if you want, i do a good job of that :biggrin:

But what about the stage that they're at?! :s-smilie:
Role of caregiver is ao3 only worth 8marks apparently...
Reply 13
I know, it ain't me, it's other ppl init, they keep telling me Eng Lang is easy :mad: When it ain't.
I'll keep your thread alive if you want, i do a good job of that :biggrin:

But what about the stage that they're at?! :s-smilie:
Role of caregiver is ao3 only worth 8marks apparently...

Well yeah you mention what stage they'd be at when they encounter these features. That's a completely different structure that you could adopt too: go in chronological order - start by saying that language begins in the womb.. there's studies to support that.. then move on to cooing, babbling, proto-word, two-word, etc, etc. Of course, link them to the theorists when you mention the features too! :smile:
Original post by StitchMad
Well yeah you mention what stage they'd be at when they encounter these features. That's a completely different structure that you could adopt too: go in chronological order - start by saying that language begins in the womb.. there's studies to support that.. then move on to cooing, babbling, proto-word, two-word, etc, etc. Of course, link them to the theorists when you mention the features too! :smile:

Which theorists did you use for child aquisition and what did they basically say?
Reply 15
Which theorists did you use for child aquisition and what did they basically say?

Skinner - Behavioural - Skinner box (rats). Language can be learnt by positive reinforcement. When a child speaks, they're given positive reinforcement by a smile or applause... hence it can be learned.

Chomsky - Nativist - Language is innate and people have an LAD.

Bruner - Cognitivist - Language Acquisition Support System: they have an LASS that is activated when children hear language.

Berko - Wug Experiment.

Halliday - Children use language for different reasons: imaginative, heuristic, etc.

Vygotsky - Cognitivist - Children take note of their MKO (More Knowledgeable Other) so they know how to use language for the future. For example, if a child went to the doctors then their parent may answer on their behalf; the child would know what to say for next time. This is therefore a change in their ZPD (Zone of Proximal Development).

There's Piaget (Cognitivist) too but I can't remember what he did off the top of my head. He was a believer that the environment played a part in language acquisition, though!
Reply 16
I'm taking this exam!
I haaaate English Lang, I really think it's going to stop me from going to my1st choice University :frown:
I just can't make it interesting for myself to do, because our teacher has no passion, and just makes the lessons for CLA so boring that as soon as I think about studying it I immediately put it off because I think it's boring :frown:
Original post by ispymo
I'm taking this exam!
I haaaate English Lang, I really think it's going to stop me from going to my1st choice University :frown:
I just can't make it interesting for myself to do, because our teacher has no passion, and just makes the lessons for CLA so boring that as soon as I think about studying it I immediately put it off because I think it's boring :frown:

Don't worry too much about it, I'm feeling the same but just put as much effort in as you can and while you're revising just think about making it into your first choice university. In the end it'll be worth all them boring hours of CLA. Good luck :smile:
Original post by ispymo
I'm taking this exam!

child aquisition..
a01- frameworks
ao2 - theorys
ao3- contextual elements

language change
ao1-framework
ao2-language change
ao3-contextual elements.

there done! :smile:
Reply 19
any revision sources/website/notes you guys want to share
any predictions/tips

and is anyone actually doing this lol?
i am freaking out, got 14 days to revise everything, and i haven't started. :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest