The Student Room Group

OCR AS Salters Chemistry F332 - Wednesday 23rd May 2012 1:30pm

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dongonaeatu
Winning jojo you are wrong. You are mistaking phosphoric catalyst with potassium dichromate. Phosphorate acid is strictly for ethene to ethanol. Really.

January '11.

Question: Reagents and conditions for reaction of propene to propanol.

Answer: water/steam, phosphoric acid, high temp and pressure.
Original post by SimpleGirl
January '11.

oh, in my cgp guide it says its only ethene to ethenol that uses phosphoric acid.
January '11.

BOOM.
oh, in my cgp guide it says its only ethene to ethenol that uses phosphoric acid.

Gosh. Gave me a heart attack.
Phosphoric acid should be accepted. :yy:
Original post by AGrumpyMole
BOOM.

The answer you gave will be fine then :biggrin:
The answer you gave will be fine then :biggrin:

Suuucccesssssssss. They shouldn't try to trick people like that anyway :angry:
Gosh. Gave me a heart attack.
Phosphoric acid should be accepted. :yy:

no, i dont think it would be accepted.
Winning jojo you are wrong. You are mistaking phosphoric catalyst with potassium dichromate. Phosphorate acid is strictly for ethene to ethanol. Really.

sorry. i must have misunderstood the conditions and how its worded in the book because it doesn't say just for ethanol - but your probably right because I only started getting my head around all the conditions last week. :/ What was the question?
no, i dont think it would be accepted.

:eek:

Er, okay..... :confused:
January '11.

i said phosphoric acid!! Haven't heard of Phosphorate acid used before :/ I think I may have missed followed the posts not misunderstood the book. oops :s-smilie: Annoyed though because I didn't write steam because steam was mentioned in the Q. (it was the only way i knew what it was)
And I don't have the cpg guide I have the one specific for our course written by the salters people which may be why I didn't know about the ethene thing :smile: and now I have clogged up this post I had better carry on revising french because that really is going to be a massive fail. :/
Original post by winningjojo
And I don't have the cpg guide I have the one specific for our course written by the salters people which may be why I didn't know about the ethene thing :smile: and now I have clogged up this post I had better carry on revising french because that really is going to be a massive fail. :/

oui
Reply 1372
i have d1. i got 6/72 in my mock. How did u revise it

Lots of past papers a few days before the exam, and predicting 73/75 (although given that it was a tricky paper that may be 100 UMS, not sure).

If your exam is coming up and you're getting 6/72 then you ought to re-learn the content.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1373
The answer to why the compound was cheaper was that it can be obtained directly from crude oil without being processed,

and the why it cannot be a solvent is because if you noticed it would be gaseous at room temp!

:smile:
Original post by Crushy10
The answer to why the compound was cheaper was that it can be obtained directly from crude oil without being processed,

and the why it cannot be a solvent is because if you noticed it would be gaseous at room temp!

:smile:

What if I said:
Didn't contain halogens and can be obtain from completely combusting alkanes,
and:
It is flammable?
What's wrong with what he wrote? Isn't that correct? :s-smilie:

No its right :wink: its in the salters revision guide.

And its not strictly for anything.
Original post by Salmonidae
It wasn't it said forward reaction

Ohh that changes things then. Perhaps electrophilic addition? Dno.
Reply 1377
Original post by AGrumpyMole
What if I said:
Didn't contain halogens and can be obtain from completely combusting alkanes,
and:
It is flammable?

you might get the mark for the first one but not for the second, it being flammable isn't a problem according to my chemistry teacher!
Original post by thegreenchildren
what did people write for the type of reaction in figure 1? I wrote electrophilic addition which i know must be wrong as electrophilic addition was mentioned earlier on in the paper but i didnt know what else it could be. At school someone wrote copolymer addition or something similar.

I had no clue for that question and now i realise there was a reversible reaction arrow as well but still dont know :/

also for the first part of question 5 did anyone write poly(ethene) as an example of an addition polymer? I thought that was a bit strange as it is like the first thing that is mentioned in the article.

I got confused on the type of reaction question - I don't think it was electrophillic addition because the hydrogen atom got moved along the chain (I had to draw the whole thing out and try to work out the mechanism, but it still didn't work). I just put 'addition' because two reactants combine to make a single product :s
I think it specifically said in the question 'any polymer other than poly(ethene)'
Original post by gstarwill
I'm annoyed wwith the revision guide. It says "phosphoric acid/silica at 300degrees/60atm, OR with conc. H2SO4 and then H2O at 1atm"

I said H2SO4 and h2o at 1atm.. which is still right according to the book, but wrong according to the markscheme..

The sulfuric acid, then water one is for doing the experiment in the lab - it only works for a batch production method, if the question mentions anyhting to do with industry, I think you have to give the phosphoric acid one because that can be done continuously. I think...

Quick Reply

Latest