The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by areyouthere?
Why don't you try and do AS Bio at least, it will increase your choices.
Since you will be already doing 3 sciences, I do not think doing FM will be beneficial, unless you plan to apply to oxbridge.

I dunno, probably not Oxbridge (no offence to anyone that wants to apply) but a lot of people that go there become too focused onneducation and have no life afterwards. Some don't even get good jobs (one guy does tea and coffe at our bank and he went to Oxford) :tongue:

I will really consider biology... If I get an A or A* I will consider it but probably not if I get a B, cos I really don't wanna struggle to pass it.

Original post by sophiekutie
I dunno, probably not Oxbridge (no offence to anyone that wants to apply) but a lot of people that go there become too focused onneducation and have no life afterwards. Some don't even get good jobs (one guy does tea and coffe at our bank and he went to Oxford) :tongue:

I will really consider biology... If I get an A or A* I will consider it but probably not if I get a B, cos I really don't wanna struggle to pass it.

Fair enough, and just remembered that some unis take FM A Level, as an AS only.:eek:

Biology is not really hard to be honest(boring that is the truth, lol ), but it would greatly depend on the exam board though.
Fair enough, and just remembered that some unis take FM A Level, as an AS only.:eek:

Biology is not really hard to be honest(boring that is the truth, lol ), but it would greatly depend on the exam board though.

:eek: that's unfair!!!!!

Haha yeah I think that's why I find it hard (partly cos I don't concentrate when I'm bored)! I like subjects that require logic, where you can WORK OUT an answer rather that just KNOW it, otherwise it's just a test of memory really :tongue:
I think we're AQA...?
Original post by sophiekutie
:eek: that's unfair!!!!!

Haha yeah I think that's why I find it hard (partly cos I don't concentrate when I'm bored)! I like subjects that require logic, where you can WORK OUT an answer rather that just KNOW it, otherwise it's just a test of memory really :tongue:
I think we're AQA...?

I did edexcel, it had a fair bit of application Qs, which made me survive the exams, I struggled to pass my school mocks for Bio though, as they tested purely on memory. :angry:
Reply 9164
Hi,
I was just wondering this year I had taken my January and June exam's. January result's where B, C and C in Economics, Chemistry and Biology as follows and my June results probably follow as B, B , B and at the end in August when we get our result's I think I will get maybe B,B,B or B,B,C. These result's are disappointing for Medicine, yes I know. However in this year I had real family circumstances and problems that lead to me under performing and grades no where good enough for Medicine.

I was wondering, could I possibly not cash in my result's on result's day and redo the year. And so it would be like I'm not a resit candidate but I'm just starting fresh in a 2 year sitting for Medicine.

Would University's for Medicine allow me to do this?

Thanks for reading
Reply 9165
Well you would be a resit candidate if you did that.
You have two options from the way I see it:

1: After you get your AS results, convince your teachers to get you an AAA prediction (this is essential) and apply as normal, resit your AS exams in year 13 and get those three As. Bad AS grades don't matter to most places as long as you get the prediction.

2: Resit the year (meaning you'd take 3 years to complete your A-levels) which means you'll be a resit candidate automatically excluding you from a lot of universities. You could submit extenuating circumstances but it's up to the university to decide whether they will accept them.
just a general question....u noe for the personal statement on ucas and their similarity detection thingymigic if u upload the ps on ur ucas profile does it come up colour coded?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 9167
Original post by Elwyn
Well you would be a resit candidate if you did that.
You have two options from the way I see it:

1: After you get your AS results, convince your teachers to get you an AAA prediction (this is essential) and apply as normal, resit your AS exams in year 13 and get those three As. Bad AS grades don't matter to most places as long as you get the prediction.

2: Resit the year (meaning you'd take 3 years to complete your A-levels) which means you'll be a resit candidate automatically excluding you from a lot of universities. You could submit extenuating circumstances but it's up to the university to decide whether they will accept them.

Im more thinking about option 2. I really don't want to go year 13 with so many resit's plus the A2 modules! The way I was thinking, why do I NOT cash in my results for year 12, so it will be like I have 0 results, and stay in year 12 again, but it will be like I have NO RESULTS so not resiting any exams. Do you think universities will accept this? And would this count as a two year sitting since I'm not resiting anything just starting fresh again and not cashed in any of my results so I literally had no results before it.
Reply 9168
Original post by king101
The way I was thinking, why do I NOT cash in my results for year 12, so it will be like I have 0 results, and stay in year 12 again, but it will be like I have NO RESULTS so not resiting any exams. Do you think universities will accept this?

That's lying and you can't do that.
Reply 9169
Original post by Beska
That's lying and you can't do that.

Oh right. But if that did happen and I told the University's that I never cashed in my result's could I do that? And would they accept that?
Original post by Zazuwaved
just a general question....u noe for the personal statement on ucas and their similarity detection thingymigic if u upload the ps on ur ucas profile does it come up colour coded?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

Colour coded to tell you if it's flagged for plaguerism? No.
Reply 9171
Original post by king101
Oh right. But if that did happen and I told the University's that I never cashed in my result's could I do that? And would they accept that?

NO.

You can't do it, end of.
Reply 9172
Okayyyyyyy...So what does it mean to not cash in your results? Can you answer that question?
Hi guys, Im applying for medicine this year. Got 4 A's in my first AS modules, predicted 4 A*s in maths, physics biology and chemistry. Got 720 average in my UKCAT (640, 850, 680, 710) and at GCSE got 10 A*s and 3 A's. Done a fair bit of work experience (2 weeks) and volunteer at a care home and with people who have learning disabilities. Does anyone have any advice as to where I should apply as I'm really not sure at the minute. Ive been thinking Newcastle as I live close and they look quite heavily at the UKCAT which hopefully I should pass for. Not sure where else though, any ideas on where to apply to suit my strengths? Thanks guys!
Reply 9174
Original post by king101
Okayyyyyyy...So what does it mean to not cash in your results? Can you answer that question?

It means you don't tell them your grades. That doesn't mean they won't know you sat them.

Also, I don't think you can choose to not cash-in anymore.
I did edexcel, it had a fair bit of application Qs, which made me survive the exams, I struggled to pass my school mocks for Bio though, as they tested purely on memory. :angry:

Yeah i know what you mean :tongue:
Reply 9176
Original post by el.sammo
Hi guys, Im applying for medicine this year. Got 4 A's in my first AS modules, predicted 4 A*s in maths, physics biology and chemistry. Got 720 average in my UKCAT (640, 850, 680, 710) and at GCSE got 10 A*s and 3 A's. Done a fair bit of work experience (2 weeks) and volunteer at a care home and with people who have learning disabilities. Does anyone have any advice as to where I should apply as I'm really not sure at the minute. Ive been thinking Newcastle as I live close and they look quite heavily at the UKCAT which hopefully I should pass for. Not sure where else though, any ideas on where to apply to suit my strengths? Thanks guys!

Post here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1230653

Pretty much anywhere with those credentials.
Original post by Elwyn
Post here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1230653

Pretty much anywhere with those credentials.

Thank you! I was looking for a thread but couldnt find one :tongue:
Reply 9178
Original post by Elwyn
It means you don't tell them your grades. That doesn't mean they won't know you sat them.

Also, I don't think you can choose to not cash-in anymore.

But if they cannot see my grades how can they come to an assumption I sat the exams?

What makes you think that we cant choose not to anymore?
Reply 9179
Original post by king101
But if they cannot see my grades how can they come to an assumption I sat the exams?

What makes you think that we cant choose not to anymore?

It's not so much sitting exams as already having had a year of teaching. It's still an unfair advantage against other candidates, regardless of whether you actually sit exams in the first year of three years or not (which you did).

Latest

Trending

Trending