The Student Room Group

Do men in the middle east respect women?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by reallydontknow
Come on this is not a problem with Muslim people but with uneducated people. I don't do this and neither does anybody I know, either in England or in Pakistan or whatever. You cannot say it's due to the religion. Maybe the culture yes, it isn't so good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Neither does it happen in my culture. It's a phrase we also use in Bulgaria. But please do realize we are conversing with somebody who wants to pick on anything to feed into his/her biases or agenda.
It's like picking on the usual English phrase of "handed his ass to him on a plate" and claiming that the English culture condones cutting asses and putting them on plates. This is beyond silly.
Reply 121
Original post by Decorpi12
I haven't experienced that in all of the 22 years of my life. Spitting... seriously?! It's a phrase. I can't even imagine it being actually done :P

Come on this is not a problem with Muslim people but with uneducated people. I don't do this and neither does anybody I know, either in England or in Pakistan or whatever. You cannot say it's due to the religion. Maybe the culture yes, it isn't so good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKINF_aK6OA

Your uneducated argument goes down the drain with this one.

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/37351/hate-saudi-student-visa-holder-spits-on-americans-americans-push-us-around/

The “lovely” Nuha Mohammed Al-Doaifi, who spit on a woman who helped her at Walmart and on one of her professors. She is a Saudi Arabian national, a Muslima, and here on a student visa

And to finish off

http://www.blueabaya.com/2012/02/why-do-saudis-spit-on-people.html

WHY DO SAUDIS SPIT ON PEOPLE?

Believe it or not this is an actual question I get asked every once in a while
Original post by Arieisit

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/37351/hate-saudi-student-visa-holder-spits-on-americans-americans-push-us-around/

The “lovely” Nuha Mohammed Al-Doaifi, who spit on a woman who helped her at Walmart and on one of her professors. She is a Saudi Arabian national, a Muslima, and here on a student visa

And to finish off

Wait are you telling people you're from Saudi or that you've ever lived there or in any nearby region? :confused:

So maybe that is part of Saudi culture. Maybe they feel entitled because a lot of them are quite well off etc, well off people in England act in a very similar higher than thou manner, and although I've never been spit on, I can tell you one of my friends at a local grammar school is constantly bullied because his father is "not rich enough" That's not because these kids are Christian/Jewish but because they themselves are rude and ignorant.

I'm gonna stop replying now man, didn't realise you felt this way, I'm a Muslim and thought we were fine.

[e] read the article and as far as I can tell it's not actually spitting, correct me if I'm wrong but they are blowing on them, which doesn't seem too bad, cultures are different, people queue a lot in England, it's very uncommon in other parts of the world such as parts of Europe, it's not that they are rude but it's not one of their customs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 123
Wait are you telling people you're from Saudi or that you've ever lived there or in any nearby region? :confused:

So maybe that is part of Saudi culture. Maybe they feel entitled because a lot of them are quite well off etc, well off people in England act in a very similar higher than thou manner, and although I've never been spit on, I can tell you one of my friends at a local grammar school is constantly bullied because his father is "not rich enough" That's not because these kids are Christian/Jewish but because they themselves are rude and ignorant.

I'm gonna stop replying now man, didn't realise you felt this way, I'm a Muslim and thought we were fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't say I was from Saudi? I said I know people who live/lived/ there.

I know that you are Muslim and I have Muslim friends. I'm talking about people from those countries and what they do specially, not all Muslims. Don't listen to that girl because I do not have an agenda and this thread was never about Muslims in the first place.
(edited 9 years ago)

And to finish off

First Source: So a Saudi woman spit on someone hence our friend here concludes that all 205 million Middle Eastern people spit on people they disagree with. Source? A blog :P
Second Source: Have you even read your second source? Or did you just google it and paste it here? It says that the family of the patient are not actually spitting, but are reciting the Quran near the patient :P (This is not practiced in Lebanon but could be practiced in Saudi Arabia).
Conclusion: Quit embarrassing yourself. :smile:
Look, you have a point that the Middle East, in general, is repressive. And anyone who argues otherwise is blind. However, the people want change, and the way to help them there is not by by claiming, falsely, that 50% of the population are misogynist but by shutting out the tiny hateful minority this Sheikh represents in the media and giving more voice to the moderate people who do not wish you any ill. That's all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 125
Original post by Decorpi12
First Source: So a Saudi woman spit on someone hence our friend here concludes that all 205 million Middle Eastern people spit on people they disagree with. Source? A blog :P
Second Source: Have you even read your second source? Or did you just google it and paste it here? It says that the family of the patient are not actually spitting, but are reciting the Quran near the patient :P (This is not practiced in Lebanon but could be practiced in Saudi Arabia).
Conclusion: Quit embarrassing yourself. :smile:
Look, you have a point that the Middle East, in general, is repressive. And anyone who argues otherwise is blind. However, the people want change, and the way to help them there is not by by claiming, falsely, that 50% of the population are misogynist but by shutting out the tiny hateful minority this Sheikh represents in the media and giving more voice to the moderate people who do not wish you any ill. That's all.

Funny that you ignore the first link.

I said previously that I know for a fact that "spitting" is a thing that they do over there and you said it's just an expression. I just showed you that's its not only an expression.

The people want change but nothing much is happening though therefore it still needs to be spoken about.
Funny that you ignore the first link.

I said previously that I know for a fact that "spitting" is a thing that they do over there and you said it's just an expression. I just showed you that's its not only an expression.

The people want change but nothing much is happening though therefore it still needs to be spoken about.

You showed me isolated incidents of people who spit. Those are simply uneducated people, not representative of a culture. (By the way, I know nothing about Saudi culture so I'm just trying to analyze this rationally just like you are).
Can we say from the below two videos that American culture condones spitting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_k1l0GCt78
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zZO2ux0KVg

Trust me, we are trying. But our voices are not high enough because channels like Al-Jadeed give more time to extremists, and people like you, however well-meaning, pick on what those extremists do and generalize it to all of us. We're just not like that, and the men around me are not disrespectful animals. You're simply insulting us by saying that all men behave like that Sheikh when we're all appalled by him. You're basically insulting my father, my brothers, my dearest friends...who have done nothing but fight for justice.

We should all be allies against haters like this "man" (and I use the word loosely), not pointing fingers at decent people.

Have a good day. :smile:
Original post by Dalek1099
Women weren't conscripted into war to die for their country(millions of people died because they were simply men, who were disposable(research misandry)), women weren't expected to work in dangerous jobs like mining, where lots of men died due to the dangerous conditions.I'm not convinced gender inequality is as simple as is taught in school, from where I see it both men and women were subject to strict gender roles women were expected not to work, not to get education above learning how to cook and clean and look after the children, whilst although men were educated they were forced to work in dangerous jobs to provide for their family as they were disposable and forced to go to war, where as women weren't.

Which gender started the wars, though? :smile: And which gender prevented women from working in these jobs?

Men.
I'm sorry, but ever heard of the fact that respect is earned not bought? Its not about the men in middle east or the men in europe or even men in the poles! Its all about whether you deserve being respected or not. Men are human beings, and so are women, they are equally made up of flesh and blood, they all have a brain, soul and heart. And hence I come to my next point, in middle east, women ARE respected.
Reply 129
Original post by All_TheCyanide
Which gender started the wars, though? :smile: And which gender prevented women from working in these jobs?

Men.

There were queen who started war as well.

http://colonialwarsct.org/1702.htm

Queen Anne's War (1702-13) corresponds to the War of the Spanish Succession. The frontier was again the scene of many bloody battles
Nope, there is no such thing as respect towards women in the middle east.
There were queen who started war as well.

http://colonialwarsct.org/1702.htm

Queen Anne's War (1702-13) corresponds to the War of the Spanish Succession. The frontier was again the scene of many bloody battles

That is one small example. The major world wars have been started by men. You cannot deny that most conflicts have been started by men.
Original post by Ronove
Well then, as soon as men are the ones who leave their career in tatters for the sake of staying home/working reduced hours to be able to do the childcare at least 50% of the time, it'll all be fine and dandy!

1) no one tells you to go have sex and have a child though..
2) the law has quite clearly given women the opportunity to get maternity leave and the likes.. again; if you're really concerned about your pay rather than the joy of raising your own child; then by all means have kids.
3) at the end of the day; females still majorly win the rights to kids in court and thereafter money either from the dad (child support) or benefits from the court if the dad doesn't have the ability to pay (at least in the U.K); so there really isn't an issue of money here.

I see no reason why you're complaining or talking.
Original post by theDanIdentity
1) no one tells you to go have sex and have a child though..
2) the law has quite clearly given women the opportunity to get maternity leave and the likes.. again; if you're really concerned about your pay rather than the joy of raising your own child; then by all means have kids.
3) at the end of the day; females still majorly win the rights to kids in court and thereafter money either from the dad (child support) or benefits from the court if the dad doesn't have the ability to pay (at least in the U.K); so there really isn't an issue of money here.

I see no reason why you're complaining or talking.

...because it's only women's interests that are served by women giving birth to and raising children? You're telling me that if women want to have an equal chance at decent earning potential/a career as men, then they're welcome to collectively stop producing children, and society as a whole will be fine with that being the solution rather than any other possible solution people might want to campaign for? Good luck with that. :rolleyes:
Original post by Ronove
...because it's only women's interests that are served by women giving birth to and raising children? You're telling me that if women want to have an equal chance at decent earning potential/a career as men, then they're welcome to collectively stop producing children, and society as a whole will be fine with that being the solution rather than any other possible solution people might want to campaign for? Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

..but do females not get a say in it..? look at Cameron diaz for example. she chose not to have any kids.. it is an individual choice - as to if you'd prefer money over children or vice versa (that is, speaking on that skewed, distorted, viewpoint. THERE. ARE. OTHER. FACTORS. Some, are highlighted below..)

the hell..? women already get equal pay with men (look at the above posters for equal pay and evidence of it; i really can't be asked/bothered with quoting the exact/similar things as to what they've said)

in addition, it isn't just that, females and males choose different career points/pathways that contribute to different pay and the fact that some choose to work part/full time majorly affects the amount of pay they get. as it stands, in the western world; females get paid more (that is, a full time earning individual, working the exact same job; within the same age bracket). do your research; if guys above can do your research for you and post it on the thread; i'm not doing so again.

now you're twisting my words. Did you even read all three points or are you just speculating here..?

If you do not take into account All i have said in both posts; i really will not bother replying. it is utterly disgusting when people don't even bother reading past the first sentence before deciding to present a counter argument.
Original post by theDanIdentity
..but do females not get a say in it..? look at Cameron diaz for example. she chose not to have any kids.. it is an individual choice - as to if you'd prefer money over children or vice versa (that is, speaking on that skewed, distorted, viewpoint. THERE. ARE. OTHER. FACTORS. Some, are highlighted below..)

the hell..? women already get equal pay with men (look at the above posters for equal pay and evidence of it; i really can't be asked/bothered with quoting the exact/similar things as to what they've said)

in addition, it isn't just that, females and males choose different career points/pathways that contribute to different pay and the fact that some choose to work part/full time majorly affects the amount of pay they get. as it stands, in the western world; females get paid more (that is, a full time earning individual, working the exact same job; within the same age bracket). do your research; if guys above can do your research for you and post it on the thread; i'm not doing so again.

now you're twisting my words. Did you even read all three points or are you just speculating here..?

If you do not take into account All i have said in both posts; i really will not bother replying. it is utterly disgusting when people don't even bother reading past the first sentence before deciding to present a counter argument.

o <---- My point

o <---- Your head

If women chose to work full-time with no career breaks to have/raise children, then yes, they would likely end up with the same pay and career progression as men. Unfortunately, we do actually need people to continue to have children.

As it is, it is still the woman that is generally expected to take time off and put her career on the back burner - even if she doesn't intend to, this can affect prospects for promotion/pay rises. So people try to find solutions to this that actually work - eg equal paternity leave and such to encourage a more 50/50 split that would get rid of this harmful expectation, which, to be sure, harms women whether they intend to have children or not (no boss is going to take a woman on her word that she's never going to want kids - if such a conversation ever happens).

Blathering on about how women could have careers and salaries equal to men across their lifetimes ('and here's this statistic and this statistic and this statistic to prove it that I'm going to accuse you of ignoring!') if they just all stopped having children is utterly facile.
Original post by Ronove

As it is, it is still the woman that is generally expected to take time off and put her career on the back burner - even if she doesn't intend to, this can affect prospects for promotion/pay rises. So people try to find solutions to this that actually work - eg equal paternity leave and such to encourage a more 50/50 split that would get rid of this harmful expectation, which, to be sure, harms women whether they intend to have children or not (no boss is going to take a woman on her word that she's never going to want kids - if such a conversation ever happens).

As a guy this is what I want. The option to take an equal share and if need be the one who goes full time dad. If men had a similar amount of time away as women when it comes to having a child it would also fix a lot of they crud women face due to them being the baby factories.
(edited 9 years ago)
Are you condoning the behaviour of men in that region?

Where did that come from?
It's obviously a generalisations but don't you dare act as if what I'm saying is untrue of uncommon.

Then don't make it. And given that I've never been to the Middle East, I wouldn't claim to know enough to say anything about the frequency or severity of sexism there, but I would say that one heated interview that turned into an argument is not necessarily representative of everyday attitudes and behaviour.
Reply 138
Original post by Hopple
Where did that come from?

Then don't make it. And given that I've never been to the Middle East, I wouldn't claim to know enough to say anything about the frequency or severity of sexism there, but I would say that one heated interview that turned into an argument is not necessarily representative of everyday attitudes and behaviour.

http://shoebat.com/2015/03/09/muslim-imam-seizes-woman-who-is-eight-months-pregnant-and-beats-her-so-badly-that-he-murders-her-unborn-child/

Quick Reply

Latest