The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Forget that
Hi everyone
i would really love to go to UCL for English lit but i doubt i will get in.
I got AAC (plus another dropped A) in as lvels and i know they want a minimum of AAA.
my predicted grades will be AAB
Should i bother applying???

You're in the medicine thread at the moment! Here's your virtual map (Forum tab above), hope you manage to arrive at your required destination:tongue:
Original post by marc_h94
You're in the medicine thread at the moment! Here's your virtual map (Forum tab above), hope you manage to arrive at your required destination:tongue:

lol i'm such an idiot thanks :pinch:
Original post by purplefrog
Basically what marc_h94 said. Just avoid having any A2 resits whatsoever.

If I just put my overall grade, as opposed to individual modules, will I be at any disadvantage?
Original post by Jasmine_777
If I just put my overall grade, as opposed to individual modules, will I be at any disadvantage?

No you won't, you'll just be annoying them :tongue: If you're at one of those private schools that still can choose whether to declare overall AS grades though, for UCL it is basically a requirement that you declare them. Also you could ask your tutor to include any impressive UMS scores in your reference.:smile:
No you won't, you'll just be annoying them :tongue: If you're at one of those private schools that still can choose whether to declare overall AS grades though, for UCL it is basically a requirement that you declare them. Also you could ask your tutor to include any impressive UMS scores in your reference.:smile:

annoying them huh... oohh the joy! :tongue:
Original post by Jasmine_777

I'll be honest and say I don't know the answer to that.
I had aaaa at AS with an A in each module too, so on the UCAS form instead of just declaring the grade overall grades, I filled out each of modules I sat and selected 'A' as I thought it would help reinforce the fact I had a "strong performance" in chemistry/biology. And it would look strange if i only declared module scores for that - would seem like I had something to hide in the others - so declared them all for the sake of consistency.
I should think if you have an A overall but perhaps a B or C in a module it might be better just to stick the overall grade down as they'll have no idea (and can't wrongly assume you have those Bs or otherwise). Because you've still achieved the top grade, which is a strong performance - and they can't tackle you down on that claim :tongue:
I'll be honest and say I don't know the answer to that.
I had aaaa at AS with an A in each module too, so on the UCAS form instead of just declaring the grade overall grades, I filled out each of modules I sat and selected 'A' as I thought it would help reinforce the fact I had a "strong performance" in chemistry/biology. And it would look strange if i only declared module scores for that - would seem like I had something to hide in the others - so declared them all for the sake of consistency.
I should think if you have an A overall but perhaps a B or C in a module it might be better just to stick the overall grade down as they'll have no idea (and can't wrongly assume you have those Bs or otherwise). Because you've still achieved the top grade, which is a strong performance - and they can't tackle you down on that claim :tongue:

Purplefrog do you think that people with 4 A2s are 'unofficially' at an advantage? I know that UCL have an AAA offer but surely it must show them that you can deal with greater work pressure? Or is there no advantage whatsoever? Otherwise what's the point- I saw on your application profile that you did 4 A2s. I'm thinking of dropping down to 3 and then using the frees for BMAT/interview prep.
Purplefrog do you think that people with 4 A2s are 'unofficially' at an advantage? I know that UCL have an AAA offer but surely it must show them that you can deal with greater work pressure? Or is there no advantage whatsoever? Otherwise what's the point- I saw on your application profile that you did 4 A2s. I'm thinking of dropping down to 3 and then using the frees for BMAT/interview prep.

It has absolutely no advantage whatsoever. This question was asked the open day I went to and the Dr Brenda Cross addressed it herself. So long as you take biology and chemistry and one other subject to A2, it is adequate. If you take 4 or more, they will not care at all - and will not show any sympathy or flexibility if you miss an offer due to taking on extra subjects.
It is to ensure fairness, as lots of schools are very heavy handed in pretty much shoving their kids either to drop a subject or take all 4 forward to A2 and this is rather unfair either way.
The only reason I took 4 was because I got 100% in RS and 95% in Maths, meaning I'd only have to scrape Cs (on average) per module in order to get As in them :p: which isn't really a lot of effort and I thought I might as well - especially as if I didn't get into medicine - I'd either do a science course (which helps having maths) or go into teaching (either philosophy or politics) after taking a few extra A-levels.

Seriously, don't take 4 unless you really love the subjects. You are at NO ADVANTAGE whatsoever in the admissions process other than you might have the possibility to totally cock up one subject - my offer was AAA (including chemistry, biology) meaning they didn't mind what my 3rd A was in... However, I have heard of some people taking 4+ subjects and they specified what they wanted the 3rd A in as well which could screw you up if you're doing badly in it and think you got the others to fall back on!
And also, the admissions team will definitely not look at things lightly if you apply with 4+ subjects and then get an offer/interview and subsequently decide to drop it (you must inform them as they are entitled to withdraw their offer as it was based on the info of you taking on that many subjects).

But by far, most of the applicants had 3 subjects (both that I met at interview, and on the freshers groups of UCL medics). BMAT prep is definitely the most important thing you should be doing in the 3 weeks leading up to it. If you're really keen you can start a month early, but 3 weeks is plenty of time!
It has absolutely no advantage whatsoever. This question was asked the open day I went to and the Dr Brenda Cross addressed it herself. So long as you take biology and chemistry and one other subject to A2, it is adequate. If you take 4 or more, they will not care at all - and will not show any sympathy or flexibility if you miss an offer due to taking on extra subjects.
It is to ensure fairness, as lots of schools are very heavy handed in pretty much shoving their kids either to drop a subject or take all 4 forward to A2 and this is rather unfair either way.
The only reason I took 4 was because I got 100% in RS and 95% in Maths, meaning I'd only have to scrape Cs (on average) per module in order to get As in them :p: which isn't really a lot of effort and I thought I might as well - especially as if I didn't get into medicine - I'd either do a science course (which helps having maths) or go into teaching (either philosophy or politics) after taking a few extra A-levels.

Seriously, don't take 4 unless you really love the subjects. You are at NO ADVANTAGE whatsoever in the admissions process other than you might have the possibility to totally cock up one subject - my offer was AAA (including chemistry, biology) meaning they didn't mind what my 3rd A was in... However, I have heard of some people taking 4+ subjects and they specified what they wanted the 3rd A in as well which could screw you up if you're doing badly in it and think you got the others to fall back on!
And also, the admissions team will definitely not look at things lightly if you apply with 4+ subjects and then get an offer/interview and subsequently decide to drop it (you must inform them as they are entitled to withdraw their offer as it was based on the info of you taking on that many subjects).

But by far, most of the applicants had 3 subjects (both that I met at interview, and on the freshers groups of UCL medics). BMAT prep is definitely the most important thing you should be doing in the 3 weeks leading up to it. If you're really keen you can start a month early, but 3 weeks is plenty of time!

Thanks for the info :smile:
Hey, really want to apply to UCL. I got 86% in my chemistry As-level (an A), 82% in Biology (because one of our teachers didn't prepare us well enough, there was a big furore about it in my school), 93% in maths, and 98% in English lit. Do you think I'll get an interview?
Also, because I do further maths, I took C3 a year early and only got 78% (bad day). Will UCL look down on a retake?
And what do UCL think of the EPQ?
Thanks so much. :smile:
Reply 50
Hey i was wondering does UCL still state no A2 resits because in my school we have to do January and June. If i don't get a offer for medicine this year id like to apply next year after resitting 2 - 3 AS modules but ill try my best to do well in my A2 modules first time. But atm my grades are not up to caliber with UCL :redface:
Reply 51
Original post by Thescorchedman
Hey, really want to apply to UCL. I got 86% in my chemistry As-level (an A), 82% in Biology (because one of our teachers didn't prepare us well enough, there was a big furore about it in my school), 93% in maths, and 98% in English lit. Do you think I'll get an interview?
Also, because I do further maths, I took C3 a year early and only got 78% (bad day). Will UCL look down on a retake?

If you took A level Maths in year 11, it's a retake. But if you started FM in year 12, I don't think there would be a problem, as that would be your fourth AS

and for the record, stop blaming other people for not preparing you
Reply 52
Hi everyone I'm also applying to UCL! (Just posting so I can watch thread) :biggrin:
Original post by ratrabbit
If you took A level Maths in year 11, it's a retake. But if you started FM in year 12, I don't think there would be a problem, as that would be your fourth AS

and for the record, stop blaming other people for not preparing you

Yeah, sorry, it came out wrong. But thanks a lot for the help. :smile:
Original post by Thescorchedman

UCL has no way of seeing your UMS unless its declared in your reference or you somehow throw it in there with your statement (which you really shouldn't waste space on :tongue:). Nobody can honestly assess if you'll get an interview or not - UCL take a look at your whole application. The BMAT plays an important role in this: where if you get a good BMAT score, you boost your priority ranking for interview, whereas if you get one that's below the cohort average, then you will be given less of a priority (but still will get some boost). There are some incredibly amazing people who get interview invites for the first few weeks of the interview cycle - these people are Gods, UCL liked their personal statement so much they decided to interview them without needing to assess their BMAT results.

They are supportive of the EPQ as it gives independent research skills, but as its not incredibly widespread its not something they expect or will go out of their way to praise you for. Though if you do mention it/declare you're doing one - be prepared to talk about your topic in depth at interview, regardless of what it's on!

And just to make it clear, if you do say one or two retakes in total - it really shouldn't affect your application. They just don't want you to get into a retake culture with regards to how you approach your exams. All of UCLs main exams are sat at the end of the year. If you fail in just one paper, you have to resit EVERY SINGLE ONE in a couple of weeks and pass them all again. If you fail one paper (or even more) this time round - you should either have an damn good excuse or you are on the hit list to be removed from the course. But one or two A-level module retakes should be okay :smile:
UCL has no way of seeing your UMS unless its declared in your reference or you somehow throw it in there with your statement (which you really shouldn't waste space on :tongue:). Nobody can honestly assess if you'll get an interview or not - UCL take a look at your whole application. The BMAT plays an important role in this: where if you get a good BMAT score, you boost your priority ranking for interview, whereas if you get one that's below the cohort average, then you will be given less of a priority (but still will get some boost). There are some incredibly amazing people who get interview invites for the first few weeks of the interview cycle - these people are Gods, UCL liked their personal statement so much they decided to interview them without needing to assess their BMAT results.

They are supportive of the EPQ as it gives independent research skills, but as its not incredibly widespread its not something they expect or will go out of their way to praise you for. Though if you do mention it/declare you're doing one - be prepared to talk about your topic in depth at interview, regardless of what it's on!

And just to make it clear, if you do say one or two retakes in total - it really shouldn't affect your application. They just don't want you to get into a retake culture with regards to how you approach your exams. All of UCLs main exams are sat at the end of the year. If you fail in just one paper, you have to resit EVERY SINGLE ONE in a couple of weeks and pass them all again. If you fail one paper (or even more) this time round - you should either have an damn good excuse or you are on the hit list to be removed from the course. But one or two A-level module retakes should be okay :smile:

I know it's a bit of a subjective question, but from your experience would you say that the BMAT is more important than GCSEs and AS levels combined?
I know it's a bit of a subjective question, but from your experience would you say that the BMAT is more important than GCSEs and AS levels combined?

I would say, solely from my experience and that of other people I know and met on my cohort it goes as following:
- BMAT Score and having an A at AS Chemistry
- having an A at AS biology
- other AS subjects
- GCSEs

your A2 predictions probably fall somewhere between 2 and 3...

Though it must be said, on my interview day (there are around 20-23 people in each session: am or pm), all the people I spoke to had such a broad spectrum of BMAT scores and subjects and GCSEs... they really do have a cocktail of an admissions system. They clearly mix different elements together to give your priority score. Though it must be said, if you have As in chem/bio and a KILLER BMAT score, you are almost certainly guaranteed interview so long as your personal statement is relatively decent.

Unlike Imperial, who just number crunch your BMAT score and work their way down the applicants - UCL's shortlisting methods are a lot more personal to you and you know that a computer has not randomly singled you out just on a number - but an admissions team has reviewed your entire paper application.
I would say, solely from my experience and that of other people I know and met on my cohort it goes as following:
- BMAT Score and having an A at AS Chemistry
- having an A at AS biology
- other AS subjects
- GCSEs

your A2 predictions probably fall somewhere between 2 and 3...

Though it must be said, on my interview day (there are around 20-23 people in each session: am or pm), all the people I spoke to had such a broad spectrum of BMAT scores and subjects and GCSEs... they really do have a cocktail of an admissions system. They clearly mix different elements together to give your priority score. Though it must be said, if you have As in chem/bio and a KILLER BMAT score, you are almost certainly guaranteed interview so long as your personal statement is relatively decent.

Unlike Imperial, who just number crunch your BMAT score and work their way down the applicants - UCL's shortlisting methods are a lot more personal to you and you know that a computer has not randomly singled you out just on a number - but an admissions team has reviewed your entire paper application.

That's really good to know. I also like the way they reply to admissions queries! Instead of just being sent some generic drivel copied from the prospectus, both times I was answered personally by the head admissions tutor. Credit to UCL!
Reply 58
Original post by Dean54
Hey, I'm hoping to apply to UCL!
I have 11A* 1A at GCSE
5 High A's at AS - bio, chem, phy, psych, and maths
My UKCAT average was okayish at about 643, but the BMAT is yet untaken!
Personal statement and references are also excellent...

Wow the negs were a bit harsh I think, so long as you are not a troll people should relax :wink:

I've been through the process once so I still remember some of the details. GCSEs are obviously good while you also have a strong combination of subjects for A-Levels. Are these 5As obtained in 1 sitting with no resits? Their policy has recently become a little harsher so resits will only hinder your application.

So long as you can be predicted 3As everything should be good. While I was rejected for other reasons, a friend of mine was rejected within a week or two of applying because he was predicted B in chemistry despite high predictions on other subjects so yeah.

Just check your personal statement again to make sure it's up tp scratch. Perhaps I would advise to start revising now for the BMAT since you have taken the UKCAT. There should be a couple of very good threads on how to prepare and useful resources. if you still end up with a BMAT slightly below than average don't worry, as long as the other elements fo your applications are strong you should be fine (my mates who applied with me were at least).
Reply 59
i've been looking at their resit policy and i just have a small question about it...cos i know they dont look at it favourably. I resat one of my maths modules...which I got an A in anyway to get a better A in the hope of getting an A*. Will this hinder my application because i did get an A in the first place?

Quick Reply

Latest