The Student Room Group

11th January 2012 - 6BIO1 - edexcel biology unit 1

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by aqua05
aaww..thanks :cool:

Btw do you know what are the likely topics which would come in this exam ??

I really have no idea:colone::colone:

I am actually just doing 3past paper of bio + chem every day, so hopefully will finish all of the past paper from the previous spec by tuesday nd then when i start doing the past paper from our spec, i will let you what i think MAY come up:smile:
Reply 41
Original post by aqua05
aaww..thanks :cool:

x

ooo btw do you know what stuff are missing from the cgp book but its still in the "green book" that you need to know about for the exam?
Reply 42
Original post by arnab
ooo btw do you know what stuff are missing from the cgp book but its still in the "green book" that you need to know about for the exam?

got no idea :smile:
I never used the cgp book..
Just the green book by ann fullick & the revision guide thats it!
Reply 43
2 weeks until the exam........ Freakin' out!
I've got this....aaah.

I think I'll be okay. Hopefully. Maybe.

I need to get the hang of the data/graph/table questions. Grrr. Good luck. I can't believe we've only got til the 11th. It's come so quickly!
Reply 45
Original post by blingmonkeys
May 2011 was so hard :frown:

i know right?! That 6marker DNA semi conservative experiment question was so damn confusing! (although now it makes sense lol) almost cried when i saw that question in the exam! i was like u waaaah? :frown: just left me gulping for like 10mins, which lead to my downfall for the unit1 exam....

retaker here :colone:
Reply 46
Original post by Hanz_a93
i know right?! That 6marker DNA semi conservative experiment question was so damn confusing! (although now it makes sense lol) almost cried when i saw that question in the exam! i was like u waaaah? :frown: just left me gulping for like 10mins, which lead to my downfall for the unit1 exam....

retaker here :colone:

I think i remember you from last year! Retaker as well:tongue:
Same here...that question left me:confused:
Hopefully this year the paper is better:rolleyes:
Reply 47
Original post by aqua05
I think i remember you from last year! Retaker as well:tongue:
Same here...that question left me:confused:
Hopefully this year the paper is better:rolleyes:

yehhh i was the guy who made the 6bio1 thread last year xD
hows revision going for u? im sure its on point judging from the a* style response u gave to that strawberry q on page2 xD yes im a stalker aha :P
yes hopefully its a paper with no trick questions! and hopefully our unit paper goes well azwell :wink:
Reply 48
Original post by Hanz_a93
yehhh i was the guy who made the 6bio1 thread last year xD
hows revision going for u? im sure its on point judging from the a* style response u gave to that strawberry q on page2 xD yes im a stalker aha :P
yes hopefully its a paper with no trick questions! and hopefully our unit paper goes well azwell :wink:

It's going okay-ish :rolleyes:... my performance really depends on my mood really :wink:
So cant really sayy much...HAA! i found our paper soo easy..BUT i was soo nervous as it was the 1st paper & i just ended up messing it up!! :redface:
But hopefully this year, we may do better :wink:
Reply 49
i'm so so worried, i keep doing really bad on the papers, but i understand everything, have you got any exam practice tips
thankyouu :smile:
Reply 50
need help in this question

How does the shape of the primary structure help in determining the shape of the protein ?
Hi.

I wanted to know if any of you knew if we needed to know about apolipoproteins?
Reply 52
Original post by timetowork123
Hi.

I wanted to know if any of you knew if we needed to know about apolipoproteins?

no we dont have know that !
Reply 53
Helloo people!
Can anyone help me out over here..!

What is the effect of temperature & alcohol on the cell membrane, the structure of the cell membrane and its permeability?
& if possible why does it happen?

Original post by aqua05
Helloo people!
Can anyone help me out over here..!

What is the effect of temperature & alcohol on the cell membrane, the structure of the cell membrane and its permeability?
& if possible why does it happen?

temperature - the higher the temperature the greater the permeability
at low temperature the membrane is selectively permeable
as temperature increases the kinetic energy increases
phospholipids move more, creating gaps in the membrane
allowing pigment to move through
proteins are also denatured

alcohol - the higher the alcohol concentration the greater the permeability
alcohol disrupts the membrane as it is a solvent
as alcohol is non-polar it causes the solution to be less polar
it dissolves the phospholipids as they need a water environment
Original post by aqua05
need help in this question

How does the shape of the primary structure help in determining the shape of the protein ?

the primary structure doesn't have a shape, it's just a chain of amino acids

the primary structure determines the secondary and tertiary structure
the different r groups
the different bonds formed between the r groups e.g. ionic bonds
hey people ! so im repeating this unit i gave it in june 2011 and it was so hard !!! :O im thinking that semi ocnservative question wont pop up again !! it killed meh !! :O just in case it somes again can someone please gimme a brief upon it about conservative and dispersive methods too ! and also the graphs are the worst !! there is just so much you can extract from them but i dunno how !!! please help !
AND yes !!!! please someone tell me ethical issues social issues etc of genetic screening !!! its so difficult i just know that "who has the right to perform these test" !!! i read it form a mark scheme !! i mean WAA ? what does it mean
Original post by arnab
I really have no idea:colone::colone:

I am actually just doing 3past paper of bio + chem every day, so hopefully will finish all of the past paper from the previous spec by tuesday nd then when i start doing the past paper from our spec, i will let you what i think MAY come up:smile:

HY ! iwas wondering why are you doing the papers of previous sepcification well i saw them they are divided into different units and sections and what i see common is only molecules and cell membrane stuff ! i mean atherosclerosis and CVD stuff isnt even there in older specs papers !! :smile: if you find it please do tell me :smile:
Reply 59
Original post by moizedexcel
hey people ! so im repeating this unit i gave it in june 2011 and it was so hard !!! :O im thinking that semi ocnservative question wont pop up again !! it killed meh !! :O just in case it somes again can someone please gimme a brief upon it about conservative and dispersive methods too ! and also the graphs are the worst !! there is just so much you can extract from them but i dunno how !!! please help !

Hiii there :smile:
Dont panic ! im a retaker of this unit.. I know how it feels as well..
1st of all...relaxxxx !
Read pg 79 of the green book its all there !... in the paper the test tube which we were given was the clue... If you still dont understand after reading..quote me :smile:

For the graphs.. extract information like this:

look at initial rate or say whatever is at zero

if there are 2 or more line..see if there is any difference between them..if there is quote it & then suggest whats the difference between them

if its something like a bar chart - look at the one which has the biggest difference between them...say they are talking about a decrease in weight so they give different types of foods so you look at the food which decreased the weight the most & MENTION HOW MUCH..& mention which type of food decreased the least amount of weight

look at the final value...any difference..

main important bit i forgot! mention the general trend of the graph is it decreasing or increasing

To make it easier for you..start from the initial rate & then move as the graph is moving..i mean mention the trend from the start..
I have seen places where graphs are constant...& it actually is a mark in the marking scheme so mention when the graph is constant

Hope this helps ! :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending