The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Hi, I have a place at Sidney Sussex in October, but Im on a gap year at the moment near Cambridge. Do you think it would possible to join any of the university or college societies now?
Reply 261
Original post by xilefakamot
Anything else about Jesus? I want to know what I'm getting myself into :smile:

er, not really. 'keen' summarises the college pretty effectively in every aspect of life.

oh, and your formal's by far the best in cambridge- and one of the cheapest!
Reply 262
Original post by nuodai
Robinson's obviously the best college in every respect, which is why Kobie and Doughnuts forgot to put it in their lists -- it would just embarrass the other colleges. (Incidentally, I might have taken you to your interview... but it depends on the day.) Feel free to PM me if you want to know anything about Robinson or maths or maths at Robinson.

Haha xD...thank you for clearing up that mystery for me :P...was wondering why it wasn't on the lists. My interview was on the 6th and the guy who took me said he did CompSci...so I don't think it was you O.o...it's cool that you're doing the best subject at the best college though :3.

Thanks for the offer; I will do once the shock of the offer wears off and I remind myself once again of the undoubtedly many questions swirling through my brain :smile:
Reply 263
Original post by duckpancakes
Hi, I was pooled and yesterday was given an offer by Catz. Very happy! Just wondering what you could tell me about the college. It looks very nice but obviously I knew a lot more about my chosen college. Like what's it's reputation/traditions etc? Thanks :smile:

unusually fun* for a small college, very close i.e. everyone seems to know everyone else there, will do LITERALLY ANYTHING 'for the wheel'

aggressively pro-cindies (even more than most of the party colleges)

excels at mixed netball :')

*particularly if you like going out, drinking, team sports and breaking the 'don't **** where you eat' rule with your collegemates :tongue:

Doughnuts!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 264
yet to hear anything good about Churchill, is there anything? haha
Is there a reason why Churchill College has more strict requirements when it comes to law?
Original post by deejayy
what is a swap?

A swap is when two societies( whether it be sports societies, drinking societies or any other society from different colleges arrange to go out together. So the Emma boy drinking group for example asks the Selwyn girls drinking group to go to the Majal or go to formal hall then go to Cindies/Lola lo/life

basically all freshers will be able to go on swaps as drinking societies in the first year accept everyone and they are organised by freshers by themselves! yeah thats a swap really , it is really fun....i already am signed up for 3 for the first week back!!
Original post by Kobie
unusually fun* for a small college, very close i.e. everyone seems to know everyone else there, will do LITERALLY ANYTHING 'for the wheel'

aggressively pro-cindies (even more than most of the party colleges)

excels at mixed netball :')

*particularly if you like going out, drinking, team sports and breaking the 'don't **** where you eat' rule with your collegemates :tongue:

I do not go to Catz myself but I know quite a few people that do and I can confirm this is definitely true! Catz people are lovely and really friendly and their freshers were definitely the most outgoing!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 268
Original post by anil10100
yet to hear anything good about Churchill, is there anything? haha

Yea, more info on Churchill would be nice!
Reply 269
...And is there, er, anything about the reputation of Girton other than that it's out of town...?
Reply 270
Original post by anoushka1
I do not go to Catz myself but I know quite a few people that do and I can confirm this is definitely true! Catz people are lovely and really friendly and their freshers were definitely the most outgoing!

friendly to the point of being sharky :awesome: not the same as tit hall/ homerton who seem to welcome guests like honorary members of their own college, but definitely the best college to swap with!

is it possible to be outgoing and rather cliquey at the same time? i'm desperately searching for a word for this! i'd be tempted to replace 'outgoing' with 'energetic'. but any offer holders heading to catz- you're in for a wild ride :biggrin:
Is the work load really, really hard to cope with? I was really looking forward to being pushed to work hard but now I'm scared about whether I can handle it. (for a natsci physical applicant)
Original post by QuinStar
...And is there, er, anything about the reputation of Girton other than that it's out of town...?

Well aside from the fact that you feature in the Homerton motto "at least it's not Girton", no.

I jest (sort of). They have the most beautiful onesies for rowing. I mean seriously, I came.
Is the Assassin's Guild as awesome as it sounds?!

EDIT: I'm guessing no-one knows about the Assassin's Guild then.. :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by chickenonsteroids
Is there a reason why Churchill College has more strict requirements when it comes to law?

They have a very very demanding DoS
Reply 275
Same question basically...has Trinity Hall got any kind of reputation in any area? Or what do students think about it? :smile:
Original post by The West Wing
They have a very very demanding DoS

Excuse my ignorance... but what is that? :redface:
Reply 277
Original post by Cast.Iron
Well aside from the fact that you feature in the Homerton motto "at least it's not Girton", no.

I jest (sort of). They have the most beautiful onesies for rowing. I mean seriously, I came.

Erm... Yay? Guess I'll just accept the cat and the swimming pool as plus sides.
Reply 278

Girton? What's Girton?
Erm... Yay? Guess I'll just accept the cat and the swimming pool as plus sides.

Sorry, that was cruel.

The Girton folk I have met seem nice enough and in some ways it is a very good thing that you're not assigned a personality stereotype like you get at other colleges.

On the plus-side, you get to live in a castle, you have an indoor swimming pool and you have to pass the 'Welcome to Cambridge' sign on your way to lectures.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending