The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Northumbria Applicants for 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingGoonIan
Thanks I was really hoping for some current or previous students. I've read some reviews that I found using Google which were disappointing to say the least.

I'm a current student at Northumbria and I would definitely recommend the university. I'm in my final year, studied Web Design for 2 years then realised the course wasn't for me. The university were really supportive and helped me to organise an alternative course or option for my final year. The courses ask for feedback on a regular basis and have course reps to ensure the courses are what students want. The university itself has lots of support services which is useful, a fantastic Students' Union (It also won Union of the Year 2011), great library and computing facilities, sports facilities etc. I've really enjoyed my time at Northumbria as a whole. Eventhough I found my course difficult, my issue was resolved and I was supported by staff.
Hope this helps in some way.
Leanne
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Original post by Northumbria
I'm a current student at Northumbria and I would definitely recommend the university. I'm in my final year, studied Web Design for 2 years then realised the course wasn't for me. The university were really supportive and helped me to organise an alternative course or option for my final year. The courses ask for feedback on a regular basis and have course reps to ensure the courses are what students want. The university itself has lots of support services which is useful, a fantastic Students' Union (It also won Union of the Year 2011), great library and computing facilities, sports facilities etc. I've really enjoyed my time at Northumbria as a whole. Eventhough I found my course difficult, my issue was resolved and I was supported by staff.
Hope this helps in some way.
Leanne

Thanks but what about living in the area?
Reply 162
Original post by lily92
I'm applying for a few courses at Northumbria, all business related. And hoping to either stay in Camden Court or Victoria Halls.

Snap.

International Business Management
Business with marketing

Accepted for both with 280 UCAS points needed and they accept general studies which I have 30 points for from AS. So 250 to get on my courses from 3 A Levels! :biggrin:
Thanks but what about living in the area?

It's really nice actually. I plan on staying up here once I've finished my degree! There are quite a few areas that are definitely more student based, for example Jesmond, Heaton, Sandyford, Shieldfield and the City Centre. It's also quite cheap for renting once you move out of halls so you save quite a bit of money. I don't know what it's like to live in halls as I lived in a flat in Heaton, however some of my friends did and they really enjoyed the experience, they felt safe and liked how close they were to the campus and the City Centre.
Any other questions? :smile:

Leanne
Original post by Northumbria
It's really nice actually. I plan on staying up here once I've finished my degree! There are quite a few areas that are definitely more student based, for example Jesmond, Heaton, Sandyford, Shieldfield and the City Centre. It's also quite cheap for renting once you move out of halls so you save quite a bit of money. I don't know what it's like to live in halls as I lived in a flat in Heaton, however some of my friends did and they really enjoyed the experience, they felt safe and liked how close they were to the campus and the City Centre.
Any other questions? :smile:

Leanne

Thanks, I do have one last question as a nursing applicant.

If you had to choose to work in any of the following areas where wouldn't you choose and why:

Sunderland
South Tyneside
Northumberland
Gateshead
Newcastle

If you had to choose to work in any of the following areas where wouldn't you choose and why:

Sunderland
South Tyneside
Northumberland
Gateshead
Newcastle

Good question. If I were a nursing student, I would probably say Northumberland. This is only due to travelling to and from the areas. I don't know much about Sunderland and South Tyneside, but I know working within a City Centre, such as Newcastle would be much easier for travelling to and from work. That would be my only reason. One of my current roommates is a nursing student and he finds it much easier living in Newcastle as he can cycle to and from work each day, rather than spend a lengthy amount of time travelling.

Hope this helps :smile:

Leanne
Mechanical Engineering!
Original post by mely-moo-x
I have an interview on 15th February and I'm in the same position. I know the interview is in a group and we have to discuss our visual CV but is that all we have to do in the interview? I was going to use power point so I could fit more in rather than the A3 card...

Yeah, I'm contemplating doing a powerpoint.

On the email i received it said we could prepare any questions we wish to ask, i'd assume that would be after everyone has presented their Visual CV's.
Anyone applied for 'Contemporary Photographic Practice'?
Got an interview for it on the 22nd Feb!
Offer for Mech Eng BEng!
Original post by RichardJames

Original post by RichardJames
Got an Interview for Northumbria on the 17th of February for Fashion Communication! I'm really excited but its getting tricky to cut down everything for my Visual CV... I guess its better to have too much than too little.
Anyone else applied to Fashion Communication ?

I have on one the 17th for fashion comms too : ) im also finding it hard to cut down everything for it! good luck and ill see you there!
Hi guys! I've just had my interview date confirmed for the Fashion Communication course on the 17th at 1pm - I can't wait! I seen that we get 5 mins to present our Visual CV, but does it have to last 5 mins, or is that just the general time outline that we have? Also, does anyone know if there is a separate one-on-one interview? Just because I seen that they ask you certain questions, so I was wondering if that was going to be in private or in front of everyone in the group!
Oh, is there anyone else who has an interview moving to Newcastle from elsewhere in the UK? I'd be moving from Glasgow so it would be nice to see if there is anyone else in my kind of situation and having to check out accommodation :smile:
Original post by marialitizia

Oh, is there anyone else who has an interview moving to Newcastle from elsewhere in the UK? I'd be moving from Glasgow so it would be nice to see if there is anyone else in my kind of situation and having to check out accommodation :smile:

I'm moving from Durham, if that counts. :P

Still haven't decided which accomodation to go for though, there's absolutely loads.
Conditional offer for Nursing, providing I supply a second reference within 14 days. A 2nd reference ffs.
Reply 174

Sunderland
South Tyneside
Northumberland
Gateshead
Newcastle

I wouldn't chose Gateshead if it meant working at the Queen Elizabeth hospital. It's quite unpleasent (or certainly always has been up until I last went a few years ago). Poor staff morale in particular and the patients you might have contact with could be a bit...unpleasent (mind, the same can be said of anywhere of course).

If you were guarenteed to work in Hexham hospital, should you chose Northumberland, then that would be great. Being in the Tyne Valley it's fairly easy to get to being around 20 miles west of Newcastle (about 90 minutes on the bus, or a pleasent train journey) and it's always been pleasent as far as hospitals goes, in a pleasent hosptial in a lovely town (I was born there :p: Not that the maternity ward is there any more).

If working in primary care then all area have their good and bad areas. The only place I'd steer clear of again would be Gateshead, unless working in the West of the Borough.

But then I'm a snob :p: (not really...)
Original post by River85
I wouldn't chose Gateshead if it meant working at the Queen Elizabeth hospital. It's quite unpleasent (or certainly always has been up until I last went a few years ago). Poor staff morale in particular and the patients you might have contact with could be a bit...unpleasent (mind, the same can be said of anywhere of course).

If you were guarenteed to work in Hexham hospital, should you chose Northumberland, then that would be great. Being in the Tyne Valley it's fairly easy to get to being around 20 miles west of Newcastle (about 90 minutes on the bus, or a pleasent train journey) and it's always been pleasent as far as hospitals goes, in a pleasent hosptial in a lovely town (I was born there :p: Not that the maternity ward is there any more).

If working in primary care then all area have their good and bad areas. The only place I'd steer clear of again would be Gateshead, unless working in the West of the Borough.

But then I'm a snob :p: (not really...)

So do you work in health care?
Reply 176
[QUOTE="KingGoonIan;35996050"]So do you work in health care?[/QUOTE

No, just have a reasonable knowledge of the region and its hospitals (often through personal experience). I can't comment on what they're actually like in terms of staff, just my own perceptions (and perceptions of those I know). Take the Queen Elizabeth in Gateshead, for example, the staff (nurses in particular) seemed to be so used to dealing with alcoholics, drug users and binge drinkers, particularly on a Friday night, and were overworked that they started to treat everyone with disdain. Made for an unpleasent atmosphere. It might have changed in recent years but it's always been known as being a bit of an unpleasent hosptial in this respect.

Looking at becoming a Graduate mental health worker or psychotherapist in a few years though and about to start getting whatever work experience I can get (in the voluntary sector and hopefully NHS) but have done little thus far.
Reply 177
Applied for BsC Computer animation and Digital SFX :smile: anybody else? I've not found anybody else doing my course yet..
Has anyone applied for Biotechnology :smile:
I applied for law distance learning, applied in January, got accepted in January with an unconditional offer.
Very excited,

A bit worried with 4 kids and a small business in a nuclear country, .... :-)

Quick Reply

Latest