The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7020
Original post by Athena
Hmm... Christ's, Clare (High Table), Darwin, Downing, Emma, Fitz, Jesus, King's, Lucy Cav, Magdalene, Peterhouse, Robinson, Sidney and Trinity.

Have also been to a Christmas dinner at Churchill courtesy of Cambridge Consultants, and a fancy dinner at Queens' after PhD interviews...

Ooh, I've actually done Robinson as well! You've been to loads though. I don't think I'll ever get to King's, seeing as neither of my friends there have been to formal in over a year!

Original post by Topaz_eyes
That sounds like a lot to me! :tongue:

I've done Downing, Caius, Catz, Magdalene, John's, Churchill (kind of...), Queen's, Pembroke and oh so nearly went to Trinity, but there was a power cut! I've got Clare in week 8, too. It would be amazing to get them all, but I think I'm happy with variety. Girton or Homerton would be very cool though and I'd like to try Trinity again some time :smile:

I was meant to be at that Trinity formal as well! The powercut was annoying :frown: Clare is really nice, and I actually really liked Homerton and Girton too even if they are kind of far.

Original post by Tortious
I think I've only been to Pembroke and Newnham. I was at Emma for a dinner in the Fellows' breakfast room on Monday though. :biggrin: Do they always serve those rhubarb and custard sweets after formal? They were so good... :sogood:

We had my dad's 50th birthday meal in the Fellows' Breakfast Room :biggrin: Why were you there? And no, I've never had those. We usually get a mint selection. I never eat mints when drinking wine though because they taste icky, but I really like minty chocolate so the handbag I take to formal always has a stash of formal mints that I've put in there to eat later. One night on my year abroad I opened that bag and found six of them and had a huge nostalgia trip while eating them :p:
Reply 7021
Original post by Zoedotdot
How many colleges has everyone managed to formal at? I was counting the other day and the actual number I've made it to isn't very impressive - I've done Emma, Clare, Trinity Hall, Catz, Trinity, John's, Churchill, Girton, Homerton, Magdalene, Robinson and Downing I think. I've also had places at Murray Edwards and Jesus but was ill so couldn't go :frown: I felt like I'd been to loads, but then counting it up made it seem like not actually that many!

Girton, Churchill, Caius is all I believe.
I think this is just implying we need a TSR formal :biggrin:
We had my dad's 50th birthday meal in the Fellows' Breakfast Room :biggrin: Why were you there? And no, I've never had those. We usually get a mint selection. I never eat mints when drinking wine though because they taste icky, but I really like minty chocolate so the handbag I take to formal always has a stash of formal mints that I've put in there to eat later. One night on my year abroad I opened that bag and found six of them and had a huge nostalgia trip while eating them :p:

I was having dinner with a QC who's an alumnus. :yep: I know what you mean about liking the mints though - I remember slipping one into my suit pocket for later once. I then went to the bar, forgetting all about it, and pulled my hand out of my trouser pocket to find it'd melted into my palm! :facepalm2:

I think we must just've been lucky to get them; apparently your chefs are entering some competition and used the dinner as an excuse to practise. :p:
iirc: Peterhouse, Pembroke, Clare, Trinity, Magdalene, Downing, Fitz, Jesus and Selwyn.
Original post by Topaz_eyes
That sounds like a lot to me! :tongue:

I've done Downing, Caius, Catz, Magdalene, John's, Churchill (kind of...), Queen's, Pembroke and oh so nearly went to Trinity, but there was a power cut! I've got Clare in week 8, too. It would be amazing to get them all, but I think I'm happy with variety. Girton or Homerton would be very cool though and I'd like to try Trinity again some time :smile:

Trinity could be arranged sometime again. Perhaps the very start of next term? Or alternatively at the end of this term? PM me when would suit

Zoedotdot
How many colleges has everyone managed to formal at?

Trinity, Johns, Newhnam, Murray Eds, Emma, Robinson, Christs, Peterhouse, Selwyn and Downing
I haven't done many other formals: Caius, Corpus, Murray Edwards, Jesus and Robinson. I have a friend who's done every college except Girton and Clare Hall (and possibly Darwin).

Original post by Doughnuts!!
Ha! A-Level Maths and AS Further Maths here! :smug:

But yeah, it would mean a hell of a lot if I won! :puppyeyes:

Mmm, that was a few months ago. I may need more proof than that :wink:

(I told the genius guy in my year to vote for you. He says he will a) vote and b) vote for you if you pay him £50. I have informed him that as the winner of the Student CLJ Criminal Law Essay competition in 2010, he should know better than to encourage freshers to accept bribery. He just laughed.)
I've "only" managed Emma, Peterhouse, Pembroke, Corpus, Caius and John's. I think. Most of them were from first year, where I actually thought I was doing quite well with them all. Second year was very much a home ground formal year. If I decide I gotta catch em all, 4th year would be a very epic ride... Just want to do Girton and then I'll be happy, I reckon.

Is there much going on with CUSU elections this year? Megadramas, exciting new developments, etc..?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7028
No. of job offers: 2
No. of job offers based in Berlin: 0

-_-

(No offense English people, but I would rather chew my own arm off and beat myself to death with it than work in London again...)
Reply 7029
How many colleges has everyone managed to formal at? I was counting the other day and the actual number I've made it to isn't very impressive - I've done Emma, Clare, Trinity Hall, Catz, Trinity, John's, Churchill, Girton, Homerton, Magdalene, Robinson and Downing I think. I've also had places at Murray Edwards and Jesus but was ill so couldn't go :frown: I felt like I'd been to loads, but then counting it up made it seem like not actually that many!

Just Catz and Emma, I think... I'm very unadventurous! I would organise a choir swap but the only person I know in a choir is at Christ's... :s-smilie:
I don't want a job in London either, I want a job in Cambridgeshire. This is not going well so far.
Original post by Athena
Would anyone at Clare Hall, Corpus, Caius, Newnham, Pembroke, Catz, John's or Selwyn like a mixed swap with either a King's society or a uni sports team?

Potentially! I usually swap with my 2nd year guys with girls from other colleges, but it'd be nice to have a "civilised" swap :p: What were you thinking?

Original post by It could be lupus
There was a group originally set up on facebook of a similar vein to what you were thinking about. It wasn't very successful

Hmmm yeah I'm not surprised....may end up just being like me and a whole load of my friends at other colleges, then hoping it spreads just casually between friends rather than en masse random people etc.

I think I could pull off a Pembroke one, I know quite a few people there, and it's always a popular college for formals....if my friends there go for it, I could get a group of upto 30 in I think which is pretty big....

And in terms of formals I think I've done, Sidney, Clare, Pembroke, Queen's, Murray Edwards, Selwyn, Downing, Emma. I'm actually doing Trinity tonight though for Formal Freedom :biggrin: Peterhouse in couple of weeks for a swap....

And I've got friends at the following colleges and plan to go there for formal (eventually...): Girton, Homerton, Fitzwilliam, Magdalene, John's, Tit Hall and Robinson. Actually that's a pretty long list, I should really make the effort to go to one of them soon...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7032
Original post by Canned Door

Is there much going on with CUSU elections this year? Megadramas, exciting new developments, etc..?

Hears CUSU elections mentioned *swoops in*

Well one of the welfare and rights candidates withdrew after speaking to the other candidate, coordinator looks like it might be the most interesting battle from the manifestos it looks close I'm looking forward to seeing them at hustings. Education is uncontested again and this is Sam's 4th time he's run for a CUSU sab position.

President in my view has one very strong candidate who I really think should win, access again has what I believe to be a clear winner, I just think the field as a whole could be a lot stronger there. And women's looks like it might be close as well, again another one that needs to be seen at hustings I feel!!

I always think I've been to a lot of formals and then I think about it and I haven't I've only done: Caius, Queens (plus I've dined twice in the old hall), Magdalene, Trinity, John's, Sydney, Clare, Peterhouse and Downing whilst on a summer school. Oh and in the posh hall at Corpus for a rugby dinner.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7033
Original post by Leipzig
No. of job offers: 2
No. of job offers based in Berlin: 0

-_-

(No offense English people, but I would rather chew my own arm off and beat myself to death with it than work in London again...)

Which companies would you want to work for in Berlin?
I have now done my mock for the second time. If this copy gets lost and I end up sitting this mock exam for a third time, I am actually going to drop labour law and take Legal history. I'm sure I can memorise 7 supervisions of legal history in about 12 weeks...

Original post by smilepea
And women's looks like it might be close as well, again another one that needs to be seen at hustings I feel!!

I know one of the two running for it - she's our current women's officer and I have to say, she's done a better job than the other women's officers I've seen in Christ's. I feel the fact she doesn't just do film nights and nothing else was alredy an improvement but my bf commented that she's the first women's officer he's noticed arranging things (for obvious reasons, he had less to do with the previous women's officers than I did :tongue:) Not that I know much about the other women's officer who could be just as great for all I know :cool:
Reply 7035
Original post by ukebert
I don't want a job in London either, I want a job in Cambridgeshire. This is not going well so far.

Get yourself here tomorrow: Cam Connect 2012 - Thursday 1 March 2012, 3.00pm - 6.00pm

"This annual event gives our users a chance to meet over 30 of the region's leading technology and business services companies. Undergraduates, postgraduates and postdocs of all disciplines are welcome. Please bring your University ID card.

There are lots of opportunities to work in the Cambridge area, especially in the technology-based companies in the Science Park, the City centre and the surrounding villages. While many of them are looking for computer scientists, engineers, mathematicians and natural scientists, there are also openings in finance, HR, marketing and even graphics. Some will consider students for short-term and summer work as well."

Link (needs Raven log-on):
http://www.careers.cam.ac.uk/datain/datainform_general/eventorsg_general.asp?purpose=CC12
Reply 7036
Original post by Y__
Which companies would you want to work for in Berlin?

Anyone. Literally *anyone* who will hire me, (not pretend to hire me and then actually ask whether I want to spend 3 months out of my 5 month internship in London...)
Original post by Leipzig

Intriguing. Could you elaborate?
Caius, Downing, Newnham, Emma, Churchill, Jesus, Peterhouse. It looks quite pathetic now. Doing Fitz tonight. Tried both Trinity and John's this year and had both cancelled by power failure, maybe I'm bad luck.
Reply 7039
Original post by Slumpy
Um...I can't think how to prove it without invoking logs and then power series:colondollar:
But I'd guess at GCSE the explanation might suffice and you can say proof by looking at the graph?
Take y>x and consider 2y/2x. You've obviously gone too long without doing enough maths. :tongue:

I did give a "look at the graph" argument though.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest