The Student Room Group

Who is your favourite British monarch?

Poll

Favourite British monarch?

Tell me and why!

Mine is Henry VIII, as his impact on the monarchy was huge. He founded the Anglican Church and his reign is fascinating, the most interesting. He was both a ruthless tyrant and a loving family man. After the Tudors, the monarchy gets sooo boring (though I am quite fond of Charles II as I'm studying him for A level history).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Probably Queen Victoria.
William of Orange - has a cool name.
Reply 3
We need to bring back the names for them.

Elizabeth the Scrounger.
Reply 4
Original post by ras90
We need to bring back the names for them.

Elizabeth the Scrounger.

My favourite name is Ethelred the Unready.
Reply 5
Elizabeth I.

She was the Iron Lady of the 1500s.
Elizabeth I
Was no nonsense, strong willed in her beliefs and knew how to deal with Parliament.
Though I have a soft spot for Charles I, undermined by power hungry politicians.
No Henry VII in the poll?

He ended the Wars of the Roses by defeating Richard III and then maintaining his position in the face of two subsequent military challenges.

Married Elizabeth of York, uniting the houses of York and Lancaster, in a brilliant political move and, despite the political utility of his marriage, reportedly never even looked at another woman, a phenomenally rare thing in a medieval king, English or otherwise.

He rebuilt the power of the monarchy, and left the treasury in the black and considerably fuller than when he started, again a phenomenally rare thing in a medieval king, most of whom left the Crown in debt.

He managed to arrange excellent marriages for his children so that not only was his surving son king of England, but his eldest daughter was Queen of Scotland and his youngest was Queen of Spain (for a while).

He is also a direct ancestor of the current monarch, unlike some of the more famous ones whose lines were cut off.
It would help if all the Monarchs were listed, as I'd like to vote for Elizabeth II.
Ummm Queen Boudicca, damn it.
Original post by NDGAARONDI
Ummm Queen Boudicca, damn it.

Think the OP is only counting monarchs from the current line, which started with William the Conqueror.
Charles II. He's the King who brought back partying!!
Elizabeth and Victoria for frankly incredible guts in male dominated societies.

Henry V for Agincourt!

William of Orange for the transformation of the monarchy in the Glorious Revolution.

Henry VIII for making school history lessons so much more interesting, nothing like a couple of executions to spice things up :tongue:

Completely torn, can't decide! AAAAAHHHHH!!!
Reply 13
King Kong
Reply 14
Henry V, for owning the French :cool: .
Edward the First just because i like him in braveheart.

But in all seriousness Henry VII for the reasons stated above
Got to be good ol' Queen Vic
Reply 17
Richard the Lionheart, a true professional.
henry VIII was a proper geezer
Reply 19
Original post by Destroyer25
Think the OP is only counting monarchs from the current line, which started with William the Conqueror.

I think it's actually quite arbitrary to start from William the Conqueror. He was related to previous kings of England, and it's not like it has been an unbroken line since then.

Quick Reply

Latest