The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Economics: A591, A592 and A593

Hey everyone,
Is anyone doing the OCR GCSE Economics exams this year? I'm doing A592 and A593 (I did A591 last year). If so, how are you revising and does anyone have any predictions for the questions that will come up?
Looking at the stimulus material for A593, I am going to predict the following topics for A593:

How globalisation can lead to greater international interdependance (referring to the graphs of inflation and GDP growth in the Stimulus material).

The UK's trade patterns (referring to the diagram showing the percentage of UK exports to other countries and the diagram showing what the UK exports)

To explain the trend of the UK current account balance between the years 2000 and 2009.

Protectionism and what it leads to (i.e. retaliation).

Factors which have driven globalisation and perhaps to evaluate which factor we think is the one that has benefited globalisation the most.

Poverty-why it can be bad for health, trade etc. and how developed countries can help poor countries. They may ask to describe the difference between absolute poverty and relative poverty.

These are my predictions, does anyone else have any predictions for any of the units?

Good luck to everyone taking the exam! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
whens your exam mine is on the 25th
Reply 2
Original post by avi312
whens your exam mine is on the 25th

Same :smile: On my birthday :frown:
Reply 3
in the morning or afternoon
Reply 4
Afternoon :smile:
What do you think the questions will be on, we got told to look at globalisation, poverty and the current account deficit. Also did you do A591 and A592? Our teacher said the grade boundaries would be low as it was a hard paper..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by abbyabz
What do you think the questions will be on, we got told to look at globalisation, poverty and the current account deficit. Also did you do A591 and A592? Our teacher said the grade boundaries would be low as it was a hard paper..

I did A591 last year but I found A592 hard :frown:
Yeah.... I think it seemed more like an A-Level paper where you had to apply your knowledge, instead of just a simple statement.... A591 was all about the housing market which we have NEVER done so... that was fun!
Reply 8
Original post by abbyabz
Yeah.... I think it seemed more like an A-Level paper where you had to apply your knowledge, instead of just a simple statement.... A591 was all about the housing market which we have NEVER done so... that was fun!

The GCSE Economics course is actually just about as hard as the AS economics course. In fact, for practice, our teacher made us do some AS paper questions rather than GCSE paper questions to prepare us for the exams. The GCSE exams don't seem to be too much easier, though, even after doing some AS papers.
Original post by usycool1
The GCSE Economics course is actually just about as hard as the AS economics course. In fact, for practice, our teacher made us do some AS paper questions rather than GCSE paper questions to prepare us for the exams. The GCSE exams don't seem to be too much easier, though, even after doing some AS papers.

Oh, that gives me hope for next year!!
Same :smile: On my birthday :frown:

Happy Birthday!! Hope you're all ready for the exam today! I'm not...
Reply 11
Original post by SophF_rth
Happy Birthday!! Hope you're all ready for the exam today! I'm not...

Thanks! :biggrin: Lol I'm just doing some last minute revision now...I should have done more before :tongue:

Good luck! :biggrin:

How did A591 and A592 go for you? :smile: And I haven't seen you on the year 11 thread lately...
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks! :biggrin: Lol I'm just doing some last minute revision now...I should have done more before :tongue:

Good luck! :biggrin:

How did A591 and A592 go for you? :smile: And I haven't seen you on the year 11 thread lately...

Haha! I hope your day isnt too bad! :wink:

I took some time off TSR to revise... it really didnt work! :P I've posted about 5 times on this new thread! Can't believe we've got through so many!!

I should be revising but i keep getting distracted easily :'( And I want to take eco next year! :wink: I was actually quite pleased with A591 as I found it easier than last year! (Hopefully get above a C this time! ) A592 was alright not too bad :smile: Yoou?
Reply 13
Haha! I hope your day isnt too bad! :wink:

I took some time off TSR to revise... it really didnt work! :P I've posted about 5 times on this new thread! Can't believe we've got through so many!!

I should be revising but i keep getting distracted easily :'( And I want to take eco next year! :wink: I was actually quite pleased with A591 as I found it easier than last year! (Hopefully get above a C this time! ) A592 was alright not too bad :smile: Yoou?

Lol thanks :smile:

Lol I tried to do that but it never works :tongue: Ikr, we've got through so many quite quickly :smile: Still, not as good as the year 12s but oh well...

That's good (about A591) :smile: I thought A592 was slightly harder than previous years but it went OK :smile:
Lol thanks :smile:

Lol I tried to do that but it never works :tongue: Ikr, we've got through so many quite quickly :smile: Still, not as good as the year 12s but oh well...

That's good (about A591) :smile: I thought A592 was slightly harder than previous years but it went OK :smile:

Welcome!

Haha! It really doesn't! I have all my notes around me but never look at them aha!! Well we are almost year 12s so we can take their credit!

It is :smile: In class we had been doing some similar questions so I didnt feel it was too bad! Then watch me come out with a D... ;D
How did you all find it? :wink:
Reply 16
Pressed for time, you? :smile:
Reply 17
How did you all find it? :wink:

I thought it was much easier than A592 tbh :smile: The only question that threw me a bit were the poverty questions :frown:

You? :smile:
The poverty questions seemed odd for 4 marks each....

The paper was OK but there wasn't as many one markers as usual! The 12 markers was good though!
I thought it was much easier than A592 tbh :smile: The only question that threw me a bit were the poverty questions :frown:

You? :smile:

Opposite to me then! I thought it was harder than A592! haha! I think/ I hope i did fine on those question what threw me was the fact I could remember regulations which has meant i've lots at least 5/8 mark from that question! :frown:
How was your timing?

Quick Reply

Latest