The Student Room Group

Did anyone else get an audition for the 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony? (Part 2)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Drumbeat
yes thats possible although I had all my fittings done last saturday, the only issue that had with me is that I wear glasses and I got the impression they don't want to see any . The lady seemed to hover around and i noticed the girl near me had glasses also and she took her number. I'm sure the plot will unfold at some stage

I suspect it was to do with glasses as a costume guy told me last Saturday that they were about to finally make a decision on glasses. I suspect it may be more of an issue for segment 44 because of its nature.:tongue: I have never worn contact lenses and now have dry eyes so probably they would not be suitable but I did make an appointment for a contact lens trial but cancelled awaiting the decision.

When I had my costume filtting a few weeks ago they did mention the glasses problem, especially as I will be having a special role within 44, and took down my details. They said that if necessary they would make up some period type glasses - whatever those are. Clearly if they are generally 'allowing' glasses I don't want to go the expense of a possibly abortive contag lens trial.
Reply 61
Original post by OneAndOnlyEmmaW
No Rio for me then.... not good enough... no ceremonies.....

Just recieved this.....

'Dear Emma,

Thank you for being a part of the Rio Flag Handover auditions for the Olympic and Paralympic Games. You are part of an outstanding group of volunteers who have brought excellence energy and enthusiasm to the auditions and the show itself.

We are in the process of making our first round of offers to applicants, and you are now on a Standby List of volunteers on standby to help ensure a full and fabulous cast for the show.

We are conservatively inviting people to fill each role. Due to strict accreditation rules, conflicting schedules or external events, we will be making second and third round offers over the coming weeks.

As standby cast you may be asked to be part of a key group of performers. This will require you to attend weekly evening rehearsals and four full-day rehearsals in the weeks before the event.

The team would like to thank you personally for your time and dedication and will hopefully be in touch.

Regards,
RFH Team'

I have had the same email. Never thought in a million years I would get a place as, although I am a tap dancer, i was pretty (very) rubbish at samba dancing and certainly compared with all those lithe young things, and I went along for the laugh, prompted by TSR enthusiasm! I can't manage the olympic closing ceremony and have a ticket for the paralympic closing ceremony already and lots of paralympic tickets for when the rehearsals are so...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 62

Just recieved this.....

'Dear Emma,

Thank you for being a part of the Rio Flag Handover auditions for the Olympic and Paralympic Games. You are part of an outstanding group of volunteers who have brought excellence energy and enthusiasm to the auditions and the show itself.

We are in the process of making our first round of offers to applicants, and you are now on a Standby List of volunteers on standby to help ensure a full and fabulous cast for the show.

We are conservatively inviting people to fill each role. Due to strict accreditation rules, conflicting schedules or external events, we will be making second and third round offers over the coming weeks.

As standby cast you may be asked to be part of a key group of performers. This will require you to attend weekly evening rehearsals and four full-day rehearsals in the weeks before the event.

The team would like to thank you personally for your time and dedication and will hopefully be in touch.

Regards,
RFH Team'

So thats great news then?! Basically you are an understudy??? or am I reading this wrong?

How are you feeling about it? :biggrin:
Reply 63
Original post by Pinnerite
I suspect it was to do with glasses as a costume guy told me last Saturday that they were about to finally make a decision on glasses. I suspect it may be more of an issue for segment 44 because of its nature.:tongue: I have never worn contact lenses and now have dry eyes so probably they would not be suitable but I did make an appointment for a contact lens trial but cancelled awaiting the decision.

When I had my costume filtting a few weeks ago they did mention the glasses problem, especially as I will be having a special role within 44, and took down my details. They said that if necessary they would make up some period type glasses - whatever those are. Clearly if they are generally 'allowing' glasses I don't want to go the expense of a possibly abortive contag lens trial.

ok thanks for the info i am happy to wear period type glasses so long as i can see where i am going, don't want to trip up and knock down anyone else.
i am like you never had contact lens not sure if i would get on with them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Bignic12
So thats great news then?! Basically you are an understudy??? or am I reading this wrong?

How are you feeling about it? :biggrin:

nope no understudy, there version of a reserve. Dont get to go to rehersals till a space becomes avaliable
Reply 65
ok thanks for the info i am happy to wear period type glasses so long as i can see where i am going, don't want to trip up and know down anyone else.

Ooh interesting news about the glasses - I'd not heard of any of this until now. I can see how they wouldn't fit in with the costume very well, but equally we do need to be able to see where we are going! I'm in a similar boat with the contact lenses as they do not make them anywhere near strong enough for my eyes. Hmm I hope they let us know something official about it soon so that we have some options! I trust them though :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 66
nope no understudy, there version of a reserve. Dont get to go to rehersals till a space becomes avaliable

I spoke to the guy and he said that is was for either Olympic closing or paralympic closing. In the first round they had been conservatine in offering places but when they received refusals because of conflicts with holidays etc. then they would send out the second and third round of places.
Reply 67
ok thanks for the info i am happy to wear period type glasses so long as i can see where i am going, don't want to trip up and know down anyone else.

Maybe that's why the OC budget is so high - they're budgeting for laser surgery for anyone who needs glasses! ;-)

That said, after a lifetime of being a four-eyes, I finally cast off the specs after laser surgery just over 2 years back. Never looked back!
Reply 68
Just a thought - possibly a bit late for those rehearsing at the stadium tonight - but insect repellent might be useful! I saw small flying bitey beasties last night and at least one of them made contact. The greenery is real and as there are going to be animals as well I think I shall go well prepared next time.
Reply 69

Just recieved this.....

'Dear Emma,

Regards,
RFH Team'

Oh what a shame!

I have heard nothing re. Rio Handover as yet myself (but don't think I'll be able to do that now anyway as already committed elsewhere including the main para. ceremonies, both opening and closing!).

Wonder if that's good or bad at this stage, not to have heard re. Rio etc. I mean, so few people here on TSR have heard either way and your the first with this sort of "in limbo" status from what I can make of it so far!
Reply 70

oh no! as I have said to you before,nothing ventured nothing gained. I am disappointed for you Emma but so many have been upgraded from reserve, you never know and you could get that call soon enough :redface:

Just recieved this.....

'Dear Emma,

Regards,
RFH Team'

So sorry to hear this. Since my phone call last week (when the guy basically told me that I was a "reserve"), I haven't received any more notification to confirm this - neither verbal, nor email. However, I am expecting to receive this same email (that both you and Pinnerite received) myself. After scouring through the list he had in front of him and advising me of the news over the phone (with profuse apologies), I responded : "Oh, Ok then" and was about to put the phone down when the guy hurriedly added, "you never know, there could be people pulling out so stay positive". However, I'm not holding my breath!

Yes I am disappointed but hey ho, I auditioned and even if / when I receive the "reserve" email, I honestly doubt that I'd be able to do their rehearsals anyway. Subsequent to that phone call, my mind's been focused more on my role in Ceremonies - even if it is for Closing Ceremony.

I'd say Emma to stay positive in relation to Ceremonies because last night another Understudy (Mola) was promoted to full Cast Status. I'm sure there are other groups who have experienced their Understudies getting Cast. This means that there is still a chance to be part of it. Yes I know it will start as Understudy but bearing in mind the numbers involved in Ceremonies, just hold out a little longer. Besides, am I right in thinking that the Paras are not fully Cast yet? You could still be in with a chance!! Keeping my fingers crossed for you Emma.
Today I received the "drop everything you're doing, rearrange your diary, delve deep into your pockets for additional travel money" Accreditation Email. I telephoned Ceremonies to find out whether it is possible to collect it at a different time and they basically said that I would need to be prepared to wait if it's outside my appointment time.

Was hoping to go and collect it at the same days that I'm down for rehearsals but unfortunately, the next few weeks, my rehearsals fall on the weekends at the times when they are closed. The next time my rehearsal ends up on a weekday is in August. Do you think I should risk it and wait until then to collect it? I'm just reluctant to make the journey down and shell out extra money, just to collect my Accreditation Pass.
Reply 73
Original post by Dancerwoman
Today I received the "drop everything you're doing, rearrange your diary, delve deep into your pockets for additional travel money" Accreditation Email. I telephoned Ceremonies to find out whether it is possible to collect it at a different time and they basically said that I would need to be prepared to wait if it's outside my appointment time.

Was hoping to go and collect it at the same days that I'm down for rehearsals but unfortunately, the next few weeks, my rehearsals fall on the weekends at the times when they are closed. The next time my rehearsal ends up on a weekday is in August. Do you think I should risk it and wait until then to collect it? I'm just reluctant to make the journey down and shell out extra money, just to collect my Accreditation Pass.

Dancerwoman they are open Saturdays! I was part of their first bunch of people to get that email and we all made a big effort to be there. Turns out as long as you have HAD the email the chance is you can go anytime. Certainly several people have just turned up since to suit rehearsals etc. and the whole process is very slick and he longest I have heard anybody having to be there is 45 minutes. However from July 16th it will not be possible to enter the stadium without it so I should get it as soon as convenient.
Reply 74
Don't worry, Dancerwoman - I had the same thing and got an email for my entire segment group, giving a list of times when we could drop in, and saying we didn't have to let anyone know that we couldn't make our scheduled appointment. I'm probably being over-cautious with regard to confidentiality in not listing those times here, but PM me if you like.
Reply 75
On second thoughts...no need!
In light of this message, may I propose that we continue our discussions on the above topic under its own TSR thread here please?

Abiraleft said .........................

Moderating on a cold, rainy Tuesday night at the Britannia

TSR Moderation Team: Moderator

Re: Did anyone else get an audition for the 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony?

Hi guys, this thread has now exceeded the size limit we allow (500 pages) so I'm closing it. I'll be shepherding off the last couple of pages to a new thread, which will be up in just a couple of moments.
In light of this message, may I propose that we continue our discussions on the above topic under its own TSR thread here please?

Hi guys, this thread has now exceeded the size limit we allow (500 pages) so I'm closing it. I'll be shepherding off the last couple of pages to a new thread, which will be up in just a couple of moments.

I think this is going to be REALLY confusing because I can see more than one thread on the same subject.

Wondering whether "Abiraleft" will start up a new thread with the original title Pt2? as the majority of us either have this thread as part of their Internet History or remember it from past visits.

Quick Reply

Latest