The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

University of Essex: Ask A Student Thread / Information Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Which halls were/are you in and what are the dimensions of your desk? Just a rough estimate would still be really helpful if you don't know exactly. Thanks
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 821
Hi, the desks are a decent size and can fit a lot on them whatever halls you are in! I am a current third year student at Essex uni and lived on campus in my first year, so if you have any other questions about campus feel free to ask! :smile: ^Sam
Original post by sam.m1
Hi, the desks are a decent size and can fit a lot on them whatever halls you are in! I am a current third year student at Essex uni and lived on campus in my first year, so if you have any other questions about campus feel free to ask! :smile: ^Sam

Thank you Sam :smile:
I've been invited to a group interview in January and I just wondered whether this is kind of like an assessment or if it's just a day to get some extra information? If anyone has had them before :redface:
What are the halls like? Do many go and stay in the University Quays?
Original post by sam.m1

hey just saw ur post:smile: gonna be a postgrad next year in Essex and was wondering where is better to stay? Towers or quays? Heard we share accommodation only with postgrads so that is quiter but not 100% sure but this must be the case.. any reccommendations?
Original post by 2cool4scool
I've been invited to a group interview in January and I just wondered whether this is kind of like an assessment or if it's just a day to get some extra information? If anyone has had them before :redface:

Hi, what course is the interview for? Each department interviews differently, but for the biological sciences department we have quite informal interviews and tours of the campus etc.
Hi, I'm looking at going to Essex uni in 2017 and am planning on doing actuarial science/accounting. I have a car and wondered if there is student parking/ at which accomodation is parking avaiilable (I'd like campus accomodation btw)! If anyone knows about this or how much it would cost it would be a great help, thank you :h:
Reply 828
Original post by fluffybunny333
Hi, I'm looking at going to Essex uni in 2017 and am planning on doing actuarial science/accounting. I have a car and wondered if there is student parking/ at which accomodation is parking avaiilable (I'd like campus accomodation btw)! If anyone knows about this or how much it would cost it would be a great help, thank you :h:

According to the Essex website FAQs, there is no parking available for students
Hey Guys,
Is there anyone from Essex University that did Biomedical Science or is currently doing it... Can you like send me personal Message please thanks..
I'm off to university of Essex to study economics for 2016 entry. I initially applied to UoM but missed the offer slightly so I got into Essex through clearing. It's all very last minute but I managed to secure my place of stay at southcourts. I'd like to know how good is the economics department at Essex? What's the overall rep like of the uni? is the nightlife good at Colchester? Etc. Thanks
Hi, im studying economics and will be staying at Matthew Quays, anyone else going there..
Original post by Warrior1996
I'm off to university of Essex to study economics for 2016 entry. I initially applied to UoM but missed the offer slightly so I got into Essex through clearing. It's all very last minute but I managed to secure my place of stay at southcourts. I'd like to know how good is the economics department at Essex? What's the overall rep like of the uni? is the nightlife good at Colchester? Etc. Thanks

Hi there! First off, congratulations on getting into Essex! I'm a current student here and I study politics but I've had some experience with the economics department. The economics department was just recently ranked as one of the top 5 for its research excellence and its academics are world class experts in their field. In my first year I took Introduction to Economics and the lecturers were so engaging, support classes are also offered if you need them. There are also loads of resources online to help you too.

Essex as a university has a great reputation worldwide, particularly in the social sciences. We're in the top 2% of universities worldwide and are 2nd in the UK for student satisfaction. The nightlife and social side of things tends to centre around our on campus night club, Sub Zero and the SU Bar. Both are a great night out. We have Milk It in the SU Bar which is a night of karaoke and cheesy tunes and there's something on almost every night of the week in Sub Zero. On Saturdays we usually have a DJ, Zane Lowe was here last year. Freshers week tickets are on sale now and I'd advise you to buy some before they sell out! Colchester itself does have a club and quite a few nice bars. Twisters is always good if you're into indie music.

Hope this has helped! If you have anymore questions I'll be happy to answer!
Original post by ShiobhanL
Hi,

I'm a first year international student starting at the Colchester campus this October. Haven't sorted out my accommodation yet, which is quite worrying (for obvious reasons). I'm on the undergraduate waiting list for accommodation and was wondering when rooms usually become available.

Hi there!

I'm a current student at Essex in my third year. Obviously not having somewhere to live can be quite daunting, especially as an international student. Have you tried getting in contact with our student services hub at [email protected]?

We also have an on campus letting agency run by our students union that does a great job of finding students places to live off campus. They can be reached here [email protected].

Hope that helps!
Original post by CampusCat
Hi there!

I'm a current student at Essex in my third year. Obviously not having somewhere to live can be quite daunting, especially as an international student. Have you tried getting in contact with our student services hub at [email protected]?

We also have an on campus letting agency run by our students union that does a great job of finding students places to live off campus. They can be reached here [email protected].

Hope that helps!

I've contacted the hub, but they haven't been responding to my emails!

I've also emailed SU Lets, but their response was that they didn't have any more rooms available to let and that they've put me on a waiting list. They have also given me a list of hotels and B&Bs to stay at temporarily, but that'll burn a hole in my pocket in the long run. Definitely out of the question.

Seeing as uni begins in eight days, it's beyond daunting. Is there anything else I can do at this point?
I've contacted the hub, but they haven't been responding to my emails!

I've also emailed SU Lets, but their response was that they didn't have any more rooms available to let and that they've put me on a waiting list. They have also given me a list of hotels and B&Bs to stay at temporarily, but that'll burn a hole in my pocket in the long run. Definitely out of the question.

Seeing as uni begins in eight days, it's beyond daunting. Is there anything else I can do at this point?

HI there,

I certainly understand how daunting it must feel this close to the start of term.

If you want to contact the hub as a matter of urgency you might want to give them a ring on 01206 874000. They will be back in the office on Monday from 9am.

There are other estate agents in Colchester itself but I cannot vouch for how good they are as I haven't used them personally and they will most likely charge an admin fee.

There is also a student accommodation, called The Maltings, a short walk away from the university- however it is not operated by the University of Essex, instead it is run by a private company who handle everything. Quite a few students from the university stay there. It's website is: https://www.mystudentvillage.com/uk/themaltings/

There is also another private company which runs accommodation called Avon Way House and that too may be worth exploring.

Your best bet would be to contact the hub first to see what they advise as they have better experience in handling this sort of situation.

Again I only know of the two private student accommodation providers but I do not know what they are like to live in, how they operate nor if they have any rooms available but it could be worth checking.

Hope this helps.
HI there,

I certainly understand how daunting it must feel this close to the start of term.

If you want to contact the hub as a matter of urgency you might want to give them a ring on 01206 874000. They will be back in the office on Monday from 9am.

There are other estate agents in Colchester itself but I cannot vouch for how good they are as I haven't used them personally and they will most likely charge an admin fee.

There is also a student accommodation, called The Maltings, a short walk away from the university- however it is not operated by the University of Essex, instead it is run by a private company who handle everything. Quite a few students from the university stay there. It's website is: https://www.mystudentvillage.com/uk/themaltings/

There is also another private company which runs accommodation called Avon Way House and that too may be worth exploring.

Your best bet would be to contact the hub first to see what they advise as they have better experience in handling this sort of situation.

Again I only know of the two private student accommodation providers but I do not know what they are like to live in, how they operate nor if they have any rooms available but it could be worth checking.

Hope this helps.

I'll check these options out, thank you!
Hi,

I'm a first year international student starting at the Colchester campus this October. Haven't sorted out my accommodation yet, which is quite worrying (for obvious reasons). I'm on the undergraduate waiting list for accommodation and was wondering when rooms usually become available.

Have you looked at private accom.?
Any feedback on politics would be good - are you going abroad/ doing a placement - any downsides to course? Thx
Hi there! First off, congratulations on getting into Essex! I'm a current student here and I study politics but I've had some experience with the economics department. The economics department was just recently ranked as one of the top 5 for its research excellence and its academics are world class experts in their field. In my first year I took Introduction to Economics and the lecturers were so engaging, support classes are also offered if you need them. There are also loads of resources online to help you too.

Essex as a university has a great reputation worldwide, particularly in the social sciences. We're in the top 2% of universities worldwide and are 2nd in the UK for student satisfaction. The nightlife and social side of things tends to centre around our on campus night club, Sub Zero and the SU Bar. Both are a great night out. We have Milk It in the SU Bar which is a night of karaoke and cheesy tunes and there's something on almost every night of the week in Sub Zero. On Saturdays we usually have a DJ, Zane Lowe was here last year. Freshers week tickets are on sale now and I'd advise you to buy some before they sell out! Colchester itself does have a club and quite a few nice bars. Twisters is always good if you're into indie music.

Hope this has helped! If you have anymore questions I'll be happy to answer!
Original post by Heliborus
Any feedback on politics would be good - are you going abroad/ doing a placement - any downsides to course? Thx

Hi! I've found being a member of the Government Department at Essex a great experience. Both the administrative and academic staff are really helpful if you ever have any problems or questions about anything. There's so much variety too with what you can study. In first year there are four compulsory modules but you also get to chose the rest of them yourself. I even did a maths module in first year! There's a lot of help regarding essay writing and other academic skills as we have a study skills officer who puts on workshops throughout term. To be honest, I really love my course and I can't think of any downsides other than that I chose some modules that I didn't enjoy purely because that just wasn't what I was interested in.

I'm actually currently in the USA on my year abroad! It's such an interesting time to be here with the election, Bernie Sanders just visited my campus! Regardless of where you want to go there are so many options all over the world. The Essex Abroad office really makes sure you're prepared as well, they've helped me very step of the way and still keep in touch whilst I'm abroad.

I'd definitely recommend Essex if you want to study politics and do a year abroad. I've loved my time there and, as much as I like being on my year abroad, I'm excited to go back!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending