The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ZeroIgnition
hi guys i want to trasnfer year 2 into a uni and my a levels are BBD but the uni have said even if i achieve a high 2.1 they will not consider me if i dont get AAB, but they thing is this particular university accepts bbc for clearing for first year. So i dont understand why they are being a bit strict. Should i still call them up after i get my uni results or just leave it?
But you aren't asking to go into year one, are you? So they are looking for their standard entry grades to support a transfer into year two, even if you have done well in your first year. There's nothing to stop you ringing them up after you have your uni results, but to be quite honest I'd say there's little point.
Original post by jneill
You wouldn't "transfer" , but you would be applying for an MSc as a normal postgraduate.

Actually I just googled and it looks like they do have a standalone MEng to top-up your BEng (like the MSc would be in the UK). But it's not a transfer. You still have to apply as a graduate.

You really need to contact universities in Australia. This forum is mostly about applications to UK universities...

ok thank you jneill :smile:
Hi -

I work on higher education policy at BIS and I’m interested in hearing your views on switching uni and degree course.

If you have any thoughts you’d like to share, please comment on the thread I set up this morning: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4164283&p=65759189#post65759189

Thanks

Laurence
Original post by Magic Dust
Many universities only consider a transfer if you have a really valid personal reason, it often isn't enough for you to just say 'I am not enjoying the uni I am currently at' as they may question if you'll like it at their uni, and if you don't it could lead to you not getting the grades and bringing down their average.

I just got accepted into Southampton as a transfer. I was previously at Oxford Brookes, so I don't see why the ones you have picked would be kicking above your place.

Good luck :smile:

Hi I am looking to Transfer to Huddersfield university and they instructed me to apply through Ucas Extra or Clearing but I don't know how. do I click apply as an individual or through school/college and inform my personal tutor
Original post by Claudiatheapple
Hi I am looking to Transfer to Huddersfield university and they instructed me to apply through Ucas Extra or Clearing but I don't know how. do I click apply as an individual or through school/college and inform my personal tutor

Who is going to provide your reference?

If it is someone from your university then apply as an individual.
Original post by PQ
Who is going to provide your reference?

If it is someone from your university then apply as an individual.

I just contacted my tutor to help me with it but he said he isn't sure as to how to proceed with it :frown:
and the university I want to apply to said I should apply through ucas extra but I cant really access that until I have actually sent in a normal application.
so am filling in the application and its asking me what qualification I will receive from the uni ...am not really sure as to how to go by this
Original post by Claudiatheapple
I just contacted my tutor to help me with it but he said he isn't sure as to how to proceed with it :frown:
and the university I want to apply to said I should apply through ucas extra but I cant really access that until I have actually sent in a normal application.
so am filling in the application and its asking me what qualification I will receive from the uni ...am not really sure as to how to go by this

There's an example in my sig on how to enter university modules on UCAS.

The university advised Extra because you spoke to someone who is fairly junior and doesn't understand the difference between Extra and a late application. Just apply as a late applicant to that one choice and once you have confirmation from UCAS send your applicant ID details through to their admissions team clarifying that you're applying to transfer and which year and which course you want to be considered for.
Original post by PQ
There's an example in my sig on how to enter university modules on UCAS.

The university advised Extra because you spoke to someone who is fairly junior and doesn't understand the difference between Extra and a late application. Just apply as a late applicant to that one choice and once you have confirmation from UCAS send your applicant ID details through to their admissions team clarifying that you're applying to transfer and which year and which course you want to be considered for.

In your SIG? Where can I find that
So I applied for student finance again for 2nd year using my current university's details. Since then, I've received a conditional offer for 2nd year at a different uni, and have put them as my Firm. They asked me to scan my passport so they can confirm my fee status. So should I update my student finance now even though I'm still waiting for SFE to send me my entitlement/breakdown letter? Or should I wait for them to send it first? Last year it took them about 4 weeks to send the first entitlement letter and then when I changed my uni on results day it only took them a few days to send me a new updated entitlement letter. Also wondering what they mean by confirming fee status - do they want to confirm with SFE that I have a loan or do they want to see my passport to ensure I'm not an EU or international student?
SFE question - I've already used my false start at a previous university a few years ago, I'm now transferring from the first year at my current uni to the second year of a different one where the course is the same length, will I still get funding for the remaining two years?
Original post by thedral
SFE question - I've already used my false start at a previous university a few years ago, I'm now transferring from the first year at my current uni to the second year of a different one where the course is the same length, will I still get funding for the remaining two years?

Should do. Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey m8s, a few questions. I'm a 2nd year student, due to begin my 3rd in October of a 3 or 4 year course. I'm currently subject to a police investigation is this something I would have to disclose to the university during the application process? And if so, am I right in thinking that they are likely to reject me on this basis. Also, could the verdict of this investigation affect my potential student status - would they have the right to expel me or not let me begin studying after there's been a verdict?

Also, am I too late to look into transferring to begin from 2nd year next year. I got AAA in my A levels but a 2:2 in my 1st year. Do you think this would put me in bad stead or I would stand a good chance of being admitted to somewhere decent? (say , Russell group?)

Lastly, I was wondering how I should approach universities. How does the following sound: emailing/calling them and initially inquiring if there is a possibility to transfer, stating my A levels grades and where I've previously studied, and my 1st year grade?
Hey m8s, a few questions. I'm a 2nd year student, due to begin my 3rd in October of a 3 or 4 year course. I'm currently subject to a police investigation is this something I would have to disclose to the university during the application process? And if so, am I right in thinking that they are likely to reject me on this basis. Also, could the verdict of this investigation affect my potential student status - would they have the right to expel me or not let me begin studying after there's been a verdict?Also, am I too late to look into transferring to begin from 2nd year next year. I got AAA in my A levels but a 2:2 in my 1st year. Do you think this would put me in bad stead or I would stand a good chance of being admitted to somewhere decent? (say , Russell group?) Lastly, I was wondering how I should approach universities. How does the following sound: emailing/calling them and initially inquiring if there is a possibility to transfer, stating my A levels grades and where I've previously studied, and my 1st year grade?Thanks!
Original post by Alfred Hitchcock
Hey m8s, a few questions. I'm a 2nd year student, due to begin my 3rd in October of a 3 or 4 year course. I'm currently subject to a police investigation is this something I would have to disclose to the university during the application process? And if so, am I right in thinking that they are likely to reject me on this basis. Also, could the verdict of this investigation affect my potential student status - would they have the right to expel me or not let me begin studying after there's been a verdict?
In theory you only have to disclose a criminal record, which you don't apparently have yet. As to whether your current uni will throw you out if you are convicted, that probably depends on what your sentence is - and also (for some courses) what the offence is. As to whether you need to tell them now that you are being investigated, that is a matter for you to decide. It might be helpful to seek advice from your Students Union.

Also, am I too late to look into transferring to begin from 2nd year next year. I got AAA in my A levels but a 2:2 in my 1st year. Do you think this would put me in bad stead or I would stand a good chance of being admitted to somewhere decent? (say , Russell group?)
Most unis will not allow transfer into the third year of a three year course in any case. If you are doing a four year course in Scotland, where the first two years are broadly equivalent to a first year in England, a transfer may be possible but it is up to the uni concerned. This would be a very late stage to be investigating the possibility of transferring, as the unis are mostly busy with first year applicants and may not be interested in talking to anyone else.

Lastly, I was wondering how I should approach universities. How does the following sound: emailing/calling them and initially inquiring if there is a possibility to transfer, stating my A levels grades and where I've previously studied, and my 1st year grade?
What happened about your second year grade? You should have that by now.

I'd suggest calling the unis to begin with as there's not much point in writing emails if there's no chance of being considered.
My friend tried to transfer to Manchester University and she had the proper qualifications and a valid reason, so how come she was rejected.

The school said that the admissions tutor didn't just accept her application
Original post by Playmaker#10
My friend tried to transfer to Manchester University and she had the proper qualifications and a valid reason, so how come she was rejected.

The school said that the admissions tutor didn't just accept her application

No places?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There were places, she called them and they said she could apply, then rejected her for no reason.

I also didn't get the notification of your reply
Original post by Playmaker#10
There were places, she called them and they said she could apply, then rejected her for no reason.

I also didn't get the notification of your reply

Maybe other people also applied...

They aren't obliged to take everyone that applies you know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Minerva
In theory you only have to disclose a criminal record, which you don't apparently have yet. As to whether your current uni will throw you out if you are convicted, that probably depends on what your sentence is - and also (for some courses) what the offence is. As to whether you need to tell them now that you are being investigated, that is a matter for you to decide. It might be helpful to seek advice from your Students Union.

Most unis will not allow transfer into the third year of a three year course in any case. If you are doing a four year course in Scotland, where the first two years are broadly equivalent to a first year in England, a transfer may be possible but it is up to the uni concerned. This would be a very late stage to be investigating the possibility of transferring, as the unis are mostly busy with first year applicants and may not be interested in talking to anyone else.

What happened about your second year grade? You should have that by now.

I'd suggest calling the unis to begin with as there's not much point in writing emails if there's no chance of being considered.

Hey. Thanks very much for this! I didn't sit my 2nd year exams due to the events that led to up to this investigation. I send a bcc email to about 15 unis, and all but York have not replied. I have also contacted my SU's advice centre, but they weren't very useful. Not sure if I feel ready to begin 2nd year in 2016 since this has all been quite traumatic, but thank you anyway!
Met the requirements to transfer to my new uni and emailed them my transcript, now I'm impatiently waiting for them to get back to me and make my offer unconditional. Just confirm my offer already :frown: :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest