The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
jkmoy
as for the girl not good looking,now you see why us men was in the pub alot,plus if you have sex with an ugly girl,you dont care about dumping her in the morning.one rule,have sex at her place then leave,DONT STAY OVER NIGHT.you will regret it in the morning.1,she might of nicked your wallet or 2 you she what she is really looks like in the morning.

When you go to Uni, you have to watch the kind of chics you pick up so you don't end up being that guy that always gets the fatty. It's guy-code round here. Besides, the local girls I've met seem to find it cocky on my part when I speak everyday English.

Basically, as someone already pointed out, if you want the okay chics, go to Brassick or sumn, local chics are not goodlooking, it's prolly sumn in the water. . .lol.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 41
leqe
When you go to Uni, you have to watch the kind of chics you pick up so you don't end up being that guy that always gets the fatty. It's guy-code round here. Besides, the local girls I've met seem to find it cocky on my part when I speak everyday English.

Basically, as someone already pointed out, if you want the okay chics, go to Brassick or sumn, local chics are not goodlooking, it's prolly sumn in the water. . .lol.

More fat chicks for me then :yep:
Reply 42
leqe

LOL, chicks in Brassick are pretty hot...

Prices ain't bad either, get's bit boring tho
Reply 43
catoutofthebag
Don't patronise me. The university is clearly in the city of Hull and you only have to look at map to see that.

catoutthebag Im sure your at university, but I'm not sure it's Hull as you clearly have no idea where it is. As you can see from the map I have provided the university is outside the city with the city being on the coast and the university being at least 10-15 minutes away.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&q=university&fb=1&gl=uk&ei=zlZ9TL6QMsWM4gbp-8WmBg&ved=0CB8QtgMwAA&split=1&rq=1&ev=zo&sll=53.758531,-0.327873&sspn=0.105747,0.338173&radius=8.29&hq=university&hnear=&ll=53.738356,-0.360832&spn=0.105797,0.338173&z=12
Reply 44
Matts51
catoutthebag Im sure your at university, but I'm not sure it's Hull as you clearly have no idea where it is. As you can see from the map I have provided the university is outside the city with the city being on the coast and the university being at least 10-15 minutes away.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&q=university&fb=1&gl=uk&ei=zlZ9TL6QMsWM4gbp-8WmBg&ved=0CB8QtgMwAA&split=1&rq=1&ev=zo&sll=53.758531,-0.327873&sspn=0.105747,0.338173&radius=8.29&hq=university&hnear=&ll=53.738356,-0.360832&spn=0.105797,0.338173&z=12

There isn't a specific small 'dot' on the earths surface which is called Hull, and then everything else just out from that is only near Hull. The rest of the urban area radiating out from the centre of Hull is also part of the city.

The university is near the edge, I will give you that, but it is most definitely in Hull.
Reply 45
Original post by Stalin
The University of Hull isn't even in Hull.

Sorry, but The University is in Hull. It isn't in the city centre, but it's certainly within the city. Only think I can think of is some of the halls of residence, which are in a village nearby. :smile:
Original post by coffeecat
Sorry, but The University is in Hull. It isn't in the city centre, but it's certainly within the city. Only think I can think of is some of the halls of residence, which are in a village nearby. :smile:

and to confuse everyone Cottingham is not in Hull, it's in the East Riding of Yorkshire!

I went to 6th form college in Hull and so most of my spare time was spent there. I now live between Leeds and Bradford and I can safely say that Hull is one of the safest places i've ever been. Like has already been said most of these negative reports come from southerners who have no idea.

Hull has an additional problem in that when Humberside was abolished and separate councils created all the wealthy areas ended up as part of East Yorkshire whilst all the scummy bits ended up as part of hull which totally and utterly screws the statistics. Imagine the percentages if you removed Roundhay etc from the stats for Leeds and just left in the less affluent areas - the unemployment and crime rates in percentage terms would rise.

Not saying the whole city is scummy though! The area around the university is really nice. I love newland ave which is full of coffee shops and nice restaurants, the avenues has some stunning houses as well but for me I always loved going to pearson park on a hot day with friends.
Reply 47
hey iv applied to hull uni, i really wanted to go there...but now i found out that its one of the worst places to be .... is it ?
is the seaside nice?

where should i hve accomadation if i do go to hull university?

thanks in advance
SN
Original post by iturhs
hey iv applied to hull uni, i really wanted to go there...but now i found out that its one of the worst places to be .... is it ?
is the seaside nice?

where should i hve accomadation if i do go to hull university?

thanks in advance
SN

the seaside? if you're referring to the humber estuary there are nice bits but it's not exactly seaside. Further afield Hornsea and Withernsea are dumps, Bridlington's ok - typical seaside resort really.

The lawns in cottingham is where my husband stayed as a student and he loved it there. Honestly ignore the bad press about the place. have you been to an open day?
It frustrates me the amount of times I have to explain to people how nice Hull and Cottingham in particular, actually are. I'm from Birmingham originally, and can safely say I feel safer here than I do back at home, in fact, my car insurance premium went down by 15% when I moved haha.

I've only been here five months, but I've loved it, it's not to say there isn't bad parts, there is in every city, but I certainly couldn't point you in the direction of any. There is a huge student population here, and the places you'll end up going 90% of your time, be it to the supermarket, the pub, or on nights out, will be along with your fellow students.
Don't listen to overused misconceptions. It's great here.

But the key is: COME AND SEE IT FOR YOURSELF :smile:
It's what happened to most of us this year; you have to come and see it to realize that it is in fact a fantastic University in a fabulous area.
Reply 51
Original post by OrmondDrone
It's a good place to be a student - very affordable, plenty going on and a great atmosphere. Just not a great place to grow up in - lots of council estates, social problems, and mediocre schools.

Message is, if you go there, have fun and get a good degree but then leave :smile:

Actually its fine to grow up in. Also why is it any worse growing up in a council estate in Hull rather than say... Manchester?

The estates are all on the outskirts of Hull by the way... No one would go there unless they lived there. It's like I'm studying in London but have never been much south of the Thames (where there are a lot of deprived areas with high levels of crime).

I grew up near the university, it's a nice area, you should have a good time :smile:

Oh & to end the argument of where the university is freaking located. Check this map, PINK LINE city limit, as you can see the university is clearly within the boundary.
(edited 13 years ago)
By 'UK' I take it it means England and Wales?
Reply 53
Clearly OP has never seen Coventry.
Original post by Bobifier
Clearly OP has never seen Coventry.

Haha... agreed. There is only one place I have visited that is worse than my hometown (the advantage of coming from Stoke!) and that's Coventry. I thought Hull was lovely when I visited.
Original post by Shook
I was looking around and read that on the BBC website.

Kind of wish I didn't put it as my insurance now :/ The Business School seems really good and it's 30th-ish for Economics... but worst place in the UK is pretty alarming wouldn't you agree?

its a good university but at this rate the climate change is going, Hull will be the new atlantis
Reply 56
Original post by zKlown
LOL, chicks in Brassick are pretty hot...

Prices ain't bad either, get's bit boring tho

Is Brassick a brothel or something then?
Reply 57
Original post by big-boss-91
its a good university but at this rate the climate change is going, Hull will be the new atlantis

To be fair you could say that about a large proportion of the universities in the UK xD
No Birmingham is.
Reply 59
But a few years ago the Beeb was saying the same about Luton
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3692154.stm
:rolleyes:

Latest