The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Private accommodation (private halls)

Hello there!

So I've pretty much given up on LSE accommodation and have started looking for some other places to live...

I'm looking at private halls b/c I'm new to London and don't want the extra headache of dealing with landlords and I also want to live on my own.

The two that I have my eyes on right now are Therese House (by Barbican area) and Dashwood Studios (by Elephant and Castle). Their prices are the same, around £220pw though atm Dashwood is providing 3 months of travel for free.

Has anyone got experience/advice with either of these places or areas?

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, I just booked a room with Dashwood yesterday, the bronze studio, they even upgrade your internet limit if you view and book o the same day. I liked that they had a 42 week tenancy, its only 10 minutes from like the main London area and it has a lot more facilities/ and is newer than Therese, which to me felt like a boarding school! Hope this helps!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Thanks for the info Shaf04! Dashwood does look really good but the Elephant and Castle area isn't really what I'm looking for. I decided to go with Therese House! I hope it'll go alright. Gl with you too!
Reply 3
I spent my first year at Nido Spitalfields (its about 3 stops on the Central from campus). I really enjoyed staying there because it was essentially a luxury apartment. There's also a Nido King's Cross which is closer to campus. Have a look through it and see if any of it is in for price range. The place is pretty fantastic and impressive.
Reply 4
They also rejected my application yesterday, so I had to enter their waiting list. (I'll be in Media & Com, 2011-2012). Terrible, considering my finances.

Can anyone give me advice on what to do next? Should I come in mid September and start looking for a roommate then, while temporarily staying somewhere or should I search for a place to live right now?

Do I have any chance with the waiting list?
Reply 5
Original post by feanorv
They also rejected my application yesterday, so I had to enter their waiting list. (I'll be in Media & Com, 2011-2012). Terrible, considering my finances.

Can anyone give me advice on what to do next? Should I come in mid September and start looking for a roommate then, while temporarily staying somewhere or should I search for a place to live right now?

I'm in the same position. Doing an MSc in Economics.

I think I would like an apartment in the 100-160 range. Basically the cheapest option and a decent apartment close to the school in Zone 1 or 2. Send me a message if your interested.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by feanorv

Sorry to hear that, but no clue about whether waiting list will work out...I wouldn't hold my breath though considering how terrible lse accommodation has been thus far.

I think you should give the fb flatshare group a shot - https://www.facebook.com/groups/169992569728230/; no clue who has authority to add you though. I thinking going early will probably be a good idea.
Reply 7
Original post by dmalex
Hello everyone, I have also booked a Bronze room at Dashwood Fresh Student Living. I hope it will be alright. I have done a deep research and this is the best value for price. Although the price range is way over my budget, 220, they do have way to facilitate that as 4% discount in full payment and a free unlimited travelcard zone 1 and 2 for 3 months. In my accountability, it will end up being around 200 pounds a week discounting the 4% and the 3-month travelcard.

Heeeey! Im in Dashwood too! First person I've heard from there! Nice to meet you! I have a Bronze studio too, it was the best for the price and 10 mins away from my campus, plus its brand new so should be good! Which uni are you from??
Reply 8
Original post by dmalex
Heyyyy! Glad to know my first neighbor. Cos is brandnew, it's been hard to find information, referees and testimonials about the Dashwood student living. As I am in Brazil right now, I couldn't get to see the rooms available. Did you have a chance to see them in the show flat? My room is 526! which one is yours? Some bronze rooms have a balcony. Did you get one of those?

I will be studying MSC Ngos and development at LSE. And you?

Ahhh yes, I went to see the rooms and the building, its really nice and there is a bustop smack outside the door, the common rooms look decent enough! I am on the 2nf floor and you're on the 5th so if you're on the right side should be a good view! I don't have a balcony/bay window though, but not too big on that! Atleast with brand new we'll be the first to use everything so can't be too bad!! Im in 235, they had a disabled access one left, same price but alot more space so I took that one since its first come first serve, but they have to make them according to policy! Im doing my
MSc Intenational Marketing from Kings so just based in Waterloo! Are you coming from Brazil or there on holiday??
Reply 9
Original post by dmalex
You can't image how relieved I feel. I booked online so can't see it how it really looks. I have just sent my Tenancy Agreemment and I am now happy and more confident that I did a good choice.

Good to know that you are studying Marketing. I have been working in this field since I got my bachelor degree: Media and Advertising. I am originally an advertising agent that became a fundraiser for NGOs, still working in marketing department though, but for social causes.

Yes! I am going from Brazil. Now, I am just relaxing at my family's house before going abroad.

Do you have facebook? add me dimitri caetano.

Haha nah dude, its all good! from what I saw and can tell, we'll be fine!! Oooo thats awesome, you have alot of experience so i'll be grilling you for hints and tips! I've just finished my undergrad from Lancaster University and not had any work experience after that yet, so I'll be needing a lot of help! Sure I'll add you on fbook now, if you need to know anything about the place or stuff nearby, let me know!! Also, chilling in Brazil sounds AWESOME! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by dmalex
Hi

I am having trouble with Dashwood Fresh student living. unfortunately, I can't take the studio anymore, since my university has provided me an accommodation offer. However, in the same day that I paid the tenancy deposit and signed the tenancy agreement, I asked them to cancel it and refund me the tenancy deposit.

But they are refusing me to refund it. It was $350 paid by credit card.

Everything happened within 24 hours.

Unless they solve my problem and refund me the due tenancy deposit, I wouldn't recommend to anyone stay at Dashwood fresh student living.

Hey, sorry you're having that problem, it truly sucks. I asked them specifically before paying whether there is a cooling off period in case I find somewhere else more suitable and they said no, most places have that rule, once you pay the deposit you have to stick with it! Hopefully you can sort something out, but you did sign an agreement and I'm sure it says in the fine print that there isn't a deposit refund.
Reply 11
Where did you all find a list of these private halls? I'm currently looking for a place to live...
Reply 12
Original post by Shaf04

Original post by Shaf04
Hey, I just booked a room with Dashwood yesterday, the bronze studio, they even upgrade your internet limit if you view and book o the same day. I liked that they had a 42 week tenancy, its only 10 minutes from like the main London area and it has a lot more facilities/ and is newer than Therese, which to me felt like a boarding school! Hope this helps!

me and my gf are moving into dashwood studio's too. It looks really good.
Reply 13
Original post by jakajak1
me and my gf are moving into dashwood studio's too. It looks really good.

Oh hey! that's great! what uni are you guys from? And which floor? I'm in King's, 2nd floor, bronze studio!:biggrin:
Reply 14
We go to London south bank so just around the corner to uni :-) We are on the 7th floor so on the top :-)
Reply 15
We go to London south bank so just around the corner to uni :-) We are on the 7th floor so on the top :-)

Oooo that'l be an amazing view! Have you met any others from Dashwood yet? I can't seem to find many people!
Reply 16
Original post by Shaf04

Shaf04 -- I was thinking about Dashwood as well, but I'm looking for a place with my boyfriend. We're not too fussy about our accommodation and don't require loads of space, but do you think it would be too small for a couple? The bronze room that is. I'm just worried we'll be tripping over each other! (I like the common study areas, and TV rooms for when we need some actual space from each other!!) THanks!
Reply 17

Hey! I just asked Shaf04 the same question, but reading your post, I thought I'd ask you as well -- I'm looking for a place with my boyfriend, but worried the Bronze studio would be too small for us. We don't need a ton of space, I just dont' want us being crammed. Any input on this? Did you guys get to view the studio in person?

Thanks!
Reply 18
Original post by Natalie29
Shaf04 -- I was thinking about Dashwood as well, but I'm looking for a place with my boyfriend. We're not too fussy about our accommodation and don't require loads of space, but do you think it would be too small for a couple? The bronze room that is. I'm just worried we'll be tripping over each other! (I like the common study areas, and TV rooms for when we need some actual space from each other!!) THanks!

Hey! Well, I guess when I saw the bronze I thought they'd be comfortable for me, as in one person, but if you look at the Silver, that has a bit more space. Even with the bronze you shouldn't be like too suffocated, but you'l definitely need to use the common room and stuff a lot as the bronze is designed for one person and the occasional guest I suppose! Also, it might be better to ask Asha, the lady who does the bookings about space issues, she can usually work things out, she helped me make my mind up as well!
But really iif you guys aren't that fussed, its bigger than any dorm room I've ever lived in, and couples shared those too, so I'm sure you guys will be reet! What uni are you in?? :smile:
Have you guys thought of iQ hoxton as an alternative? it has great transport links to LSE, is in a great area by Shoreditch, and still has Silver Studios remaining. Contact us at http://www.iq-student-accommodation.com/student-accommodation/hoxton

or email [email protected]

Quick Reply

Latest