The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by therockandsock
Is it worth sending any SAT scores to Warwick?

As a UK student who did A-Levels and GCSE's I did SAT's in my spare time and did alright in them.

Would Warwick see this in a negative light as taking SATs may indicate that you might apply to the US hence not serious about Uk application

or will they see this as a case of proactivity?

It probably has little weight but obviously I dont wanna send it if it will be a negative thing?

Hi,
additional information such as this won't be received negatively, so, if you believe it to be relevant and an important part of your application, you probably want to include it.

If you email [email protected] , they can inform you of the best way to update your application with additional qualifications.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 301
Original post by Francium
I have been given an offer to read Economics and I was wondering if it is possible to transfer to the MORSE course. I have already fulfilled the requirements for both courses since I have completed the IB program with 41/45 and a 6 in Maths HL.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
transfers between departments, such as this, are not automatic, either before or after you arrive.

You will need to email [email protected] to find out whether you are able to be considered for MORSE, in light of your application to Economics. The "requirements" for the courses are not purely academic requirements, so the application may not necessarily be successful even if you are able to switch at this stage.

In terms of transferring once you begin the course, it would be up to the departments involved (Economics and Stats) whether you would be permitted to transfer.
Reply 302
Original post by Aluu93
Hi,

I received an offer from Warwick for L100 on of grades A*AA at A-Level in three subjects including Maths and
grade A at AS Level in one further subject. Considering I do 5AS levels and 3A2 levels, would dropping one of these AS levels make a difference to my offer? (i.e would the University retract the offer/ask for different requirements)

Thanks

Hi,
presuming you mean that you study 3 A2's, and 2 additional AS's (that is, not double counting the modules which form part of your A2's), and we have placed no restrictions on which of the two AS's can be part of your offer (for instance, we exclude General Studies, so that cannot be part of meeting your offer), then you are free to meet the offer however you wish. If you wish to focus on one AS exclusively, then that would be fine.
I would double check this with the Undergraduate admissions office ([email protected]), however
Original post by University of Warwick
Hi,
X

Seeing as the deadline has approached, are Warwick aiming to get back to the majority of applicants any time soon?
Reply 304
Original post by -Illmatic-
Seeing as the deadline has approached, are Warwick aiming to get back to the majority of applicants any time soon?

Hi,
we are working hard to make decisions on applications as quickly as possible, but I wouldn't be able to give a specific time frame on when any one individual application could expect to hear back.

As I've mentioned earlier, it's an important process, both for us and yourselves, so it's crucial we are making well informed, correct decisions, which can take some time given the volume of applications we receive.
Reply 305
I do 4 subjects at A2 (including Further Maths) but my offer is only for 3 subjects - is that normal? Just want to be sure it's not a mistake or anything! Thank you
Have any rejections at all be handed out?
Reply 307
Original post by blooper123
Have any rejections at all be handed out?

Hi,
the statistics I have access to only show the number of offers processed, not the number of rejections, so I'm unable to give you any info about this.
Reply 308
Original post by hanlem
I do 4 subjects at A2 (including Further Maths) but my offer is only for 3 subjects - is that normal? Just want to be sure it's not a mistake or anything! Thank you

Hey,
if you email [email protected] , they can clarify this for you. Have you already achieved any full A2 levels, or are they all being certificated in the summer?
Hi,
the statistics I have access to only show the number of offers processed, not the number of rejections, so I'm unable to give you any info about this.

Are you able to give us info on how many offers have been processed by any chance?
Apparently there is an automated email going round to all applicants which I haven't received. Is there a particular reason why some people aren't getting this email ? does it mean they can be expecting an offer from Warwick sooner ?
Edit: just got it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by WalkerPrince
Same question.

Does not gettin this email mean a decision has already been made? That's what it sounds like....

Means your application fell of the desk so you werent part of that e-mail
Hi, I'm a bit of a mess at the moment!
Originally I was looking at the Econ/Econ History course, because I've applied elsewhere to study History & Econ. When it was withdrawn, I applied for Econ/Pol/International rather than just Econ, will admissions think it's a bit weird, seeing as half of my personal statement is about history? I'm not sure if it would be strictly counted as 'International', and I'm a little frightened that they won't think I've shown commitment to the course etc.

Another question was, how many places are for economics approx? & are they shared between the other courses, or is there a ratio set?
Thank you :smile:
Reply 313
Original post by -Illmatic-
Are you able to give us info on how many offers have been processed by any chance?

Hi, I've mentioned this before on previous pages, but I don't think there's anything to be gained in simply giving a number out as to how many offers we've processed, simply because the number is meaningless information without knowing how many offers we plan to make and our total number of applicants.

Given we don't wish to make public our complete admissions strategy whilst the cycle is still open, I think the only thing which will happen if I do state a number is that people will draw false conclusions about their own application, and I don't wish to be responsible for that.
Reply 314
Original post by roseroserose.
Hi, I'm a bit of a mess at the moment!
Originally I was looking at the Econ/Econ History course, because I've applied elsewhere to study History & Econ. When it was withdrawn, I applied for Econ/Pol/International rather than just Econ, will admissions think it's a bit weird, seeing as half of my personal statement is about history? I'm not sure if it would be strictly counted as 'International', and I'm a little frightened that they won't think I've shown commitment to the course etc.

Another question was, how many places are for economics approx? & are they shared between the other courses, or is there a ratio set?
Thank you :smile:

Hi,
I mention in the "admissions notes" document that, since the withdrawal of Econ Hist, we are happy to have personal statements which display a particular interest in a field of economics which we provide modules on, but do not run a specific course on, such as Economic History.

As I mention just above, we do have a a target number of offers to make, but this is not made public at this stage, and this number is across the three courses we "host", so you are no more likely to receive an offer from applying to one course as opposed to another.
Reply 315
For exams, is it possible to retake modules that were taken in January if we don't get what we want? So these would be taken in the summer in time for results day.
Hi,

Got an offer yesterday and I've been browsing through the Department website. Read something about an exchange programme with the University of California. Do you have any further information on this? I've looked everywhere and there is no clear information. Roughly how many spaces are there for the programme each year, also what is the selection process if it is oversubsribed?

If you can't answer it, could you please message me a more appropriate person to ask?

Thanks
Reply 317
Original post by AVFC127
For exams, is it possible to retake modules that were taken in January if we don't get what we want? So these would be taken in the summer in time for results day.

Hi,
I believe there are some nuances surrounding the extent to which retakes are possible, so I would email [email protected] to find out, given your precise set of circumstances, to what extent you are able to include retakes. I think what you describe is fine, but don't want to confirm for definite and give misleading information.
Reply 318
Original post by WalkerPrince
Hi,

Got an offer yesterday and I've been browsing through the Department website. Read something about an exchange programme with the University of California. Do you have any further information on this? I've looked everywhere and there is no clear information. Roughly how many spaces are there for the programme each year, also what is the selection process if it is oversubsribed?

If you can't answer it, could you please message me a more appropriate person to ask?

Thanks

Hi,
congratulations on getting an offer!

There is more complete information about "year abroad" schemes we run at http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/ug/current/erasmus, including the California scheme . There should also be contact details there if you require further information.
Hi,
congratulations on getting an offer!

There is more complete information about "year abroad" schemes we run at http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/ug/current/erasmus, including the California scheme . There should also be contact details there if you require further information.

Thanks for the link. Very helpful. Sounds competitive. I've emailed the UG office asking how many spaces they have each year, no info there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending