The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 3A Summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

There are official AQA reivison guides on Amazon. Phillip Allan is for a certain type of person and not everyone likes his style.
Reply 21
Original post by FHickman
Would everyone advise to use Phillip Allan? I have been using the textbook (which is not great) and GeoFactsheets that we have been given in class and they are very useful but I still feel I am not very prepared with just these! Also, how far through the syllabus is everyone as we have only just started our third topic and it doesn't seem we will get everything done in time?

About almost done with tectonics, and half done with globalisation. Still got World Cities to go.
Reply 22
Original post by HotfireLegend
About almost done with tectonics, and half done with globalisation. Still got World Cities to go.

We've done Weather and World Cities. Just about to start Tectonics. Am I the only one who finds Weather the most interesting :tongue:
Reply 23
Original post by DavidCrow
We've done Weather and World Cities. Just about to start Tectonics. Am I the only one who finds Weather the most interesting :tongue:

I wanted to do weather, but they didn't choose it! I'm definitely choosing it at Uni.
(The human geog topics, World Cities and Globalisation are a bit boring IMO)
Reply 24
Oh that is relieving, I thought we were really far behind! I'm doing Tectonics, World Cities and Conflicts! Tectonics much easier than human topics, how do you memorise everything for the human topics as I find them very easy just hard to remember everything?
Reply 25
Oh that is relieving, I thought we were really far behind! I'm doing Tectonics, World Cities and Conflicts! Tectonics much easier than human topics, how do you memorise everything for the human topics as I find them very easy just hard to remember everything?

Physical is just basically application of facts.
Human's more theoretical. Perhaps make a giant spider diagram/thought shower thing and put it on your wall with all causes and impacts of whatever your current topic is?

EDIT: Edited first post with A* information. Enjoy!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
Good to see people are preparing early on XD

Finished doing Tectonics for the synoptic question(Really actually confident and looking forward to this one). Middle of Atmospherics/Weather and Climate and Conflicts and just started doing ecosystems so we have a choice of what physical short question we want to do.

One thing that is bugging me, how long is the exam? I previously thought it was 2hours but it says on the web that its 2 in a half and i'm just wondering how that works, Because you have to answer one synoptic questions for one hour, and two short answer questions for half an hour each right? Then there is another half an hour floating about.
Has anybody got any tips how best to spend their time? Clarification would be appreciated!
I'm possibly just being really thick right now, and I would ask my teacher 'cept it's half-term and I know if i don't get an answer soon it's going to drive me mad. XD
Reply 27
Original post by Marial79
Good to see people are preparing early on XD

Finished doing Tectonics for the synoptic question(Really actually confident and looking forward to this one). Middle of Atmospherics/Weather and Climate and Conflicts and just started doing ecosystems so we have a choice of what physical short question we want to do.

One thing that is bugging me, how long is the exam? I previously thought it was 2hours but it says on the web that its 2 in a half and i'm just wondering how that works, Because you have to answer one synoptic questions for one hour, and two short answer questions for half an hour each right? Then there is another half an hour floating about.
Has anybody got any tips how best to spend their time? Clarification would be appreciated!
I'm possibly just being really thick right now, and I would ask my teacher 'cept it's half-term and I know if i don't get an answer soon it's going to drive me mad. XD

The exam is 2 and a half hours. Split it into 45 minutes for each short answer question and an hour for the essay. If you are doing two physical topics and one human topic, you must answer your human topic as a short answer question, so do that first to 'ease yourself in'. Then do the essay (to avoid not finishing it, as it is worth the most marks), and finally the other physical question at the end of the paper.
Reply 28
Original post by DavidCrow
The exam is 2 and a half hours. Split it into 45 minutes for each short answer question and an hour for the essay. If you are doing two physical topics and one human topic, you must answer your human topic as a short answer question, so do that first to 'ease yourself in'. Then do the essay (to avoid not finishing it, as it is worth the most marks), and finally the other physical question at the end of the paper.

You, my dear, are a life saver. Thank You! It all makes sense now XD
IMO I wouldn't split it into 45/45/1hr. The first two sections are 25 marks each and are pretty straight forward tbh. I would say spend at least 1hr on these sections and 1hr 30 for the 40 mark :smile:

I can never do a 40 mark in an hour :frown:

We've done tectonics, finishing globalisation and just starting conflict..so not too much to go.
Reply 30
Are their essays in this subject :frown:
Reply 31
Original post by Aylish
Are their essays in this subject :frown:

Yes. Most of the questions are about 6/8/12 marks and the final one on this paper is 40 marks. Don't let that put you off if you're choosing your A-Levels/GCSEs though, it's still a very enjoyable subject that gives you good job opportunities should you then continue to take it to University!
Reply 32
Yes. Most of the questions are about 6/8/12 marks and the final one on this paper is 40 marks. Don't let that put you off if you're choosing your A-Levels/GCSEs though, it's still a very enjoyable subject that gives you good job opportunities should you then continue to take it to University!

Oh I hate essays major rethink then and it's a levels :frown: I'm not happy with ethier this or history I hate it.
Reply 33
Original post by Aylish
Oh I hate essays major rethink then and it's a levels :frown: I'm not happy with ethier this or history I hate it.

Try the science-based subjects then like Chemistry, they don't really have essays.
Reply 34
Whose doing Conflicts? I cannot get my head around it, much rather do Development and Globalisation but my teacher said we're too far in now to change! Any tips for Conflicts? Or shall I just self-teach myself Development and Globalisation?
Reply 35
Whose doing Conflicts? I cannot get my head around it, much rather do Development and Globalisation but my teacher said we're too far in now to change! Any tips for Conflicts? Or shall I just self-teach myself Development and Globalisation?

Sadly, I'm not doing conflict, but I'm doing Dev and Glob. It's mostly common sense apart from the key words to be honest. Good question though, but I think you may come out with a better result if you did the conflicts questions since you'll be taught the information by the teacher and you'll have work based on it too. Having the two topics in one go may be too much.
Hey :biggrin:
I've just found this thread :P I think this is one of the exams which I'm not looking forward to the most, sitting for 2.5 hours is not my idea of fun :L

I'm doing Plate Tectonics, World Cities and Weather & Climate. We do usually do 4, but my college department thought that some people prefer human/physical geography, so everyone does World cities and plate tectonics, then the human classes do development and globalisation, and the physical do Weather&Climate! Anyway, how are you guys finding this unit, I don't mind the material, but I I just find that its way to much to learn! :/
Reply 37
Original post by LGrosvenor101
Hey :biggrin:
I've just found this thread :P I think this is one of the exams which I'm not looking forward to the most, sitting for 2.5 hours is not my idea of fun :L

I'm doing Plate Tectonics, World Cities and Weather & Climate. We do usually do 4, but my college department thought that some people prefer human/physical geography, so everyone does World cities and plate tectonics, then the human classes do development and globalisation, and the physical do Weather&Climate! Anyway, how are you guys finding this unit, I don't mind the material, but I I just find that its way to much to learn! :/

25% extra time = 2.5 hours + extra time! Imagine that and then 2.5 hours isn't so bad after all! :biggrin:

Hey, that sounds like a good way to sort out the class. I'd much rather mine did it that way, since we have to do two human modules and one physical, and I much prefer the physical. (With the occasional human for breaks)

Plate tectonics is pretty simple. I'm starting World Cities soon, but never did weather/climate. I don't think it's too much. Just start revising early.
Reply 38
I'm doing globalization and development, plate tectonics and world cities.

What revision guides are available apart from the collins guide (already have it)?
25% extra time = 2.5 hours + extra time! Imagine that and then 2.5 hours isn't so bad after all! :biggrin:

Hey, that sounds like a good way to sort out the class. I'd much rather mine did it that way, since we have to do two human modules and one physical, and I much prefer the physical. (With the occasional human for breaks)

Plate tectonics is pretty simple. I'm starting World Cities soon, but never did weather/climate. I don't think it's too much. Just start revising early.

Lol yeah! I had 25% extra time at GCSE, I wish I still had it now! D: and yeah :smile: Humans OK, but I'm more of a scientist, definitely prefer physical! I find plate tectonics simple as well, a lot of case studies though! Weather is the opposite, we are doing weather at the moment, and its a lot of theory! I've just finished World Cities, bleh its OK, not good, not bad. So glad I'm not needing to write an essay about it in the summer! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending