The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 3A Summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by swbp
I'm doing globalization and development, plate tectonics and world cities.

What revision guides are available apart from the collins guide (already have it)?

You have the Collins one that's Student Support Materials - Unit 3?
There's those ones from that famous book company, forgot the name. Go to your local Waterstones and have a look in the revision guides section, there's bound to be quite a few.

Original post by LGrosvenor101
Lol yeah! I had 25% extra time at GCSE, I wish I still had it now! D: and yeah :smile: Humans OK, but I'm more of a scientist, definitely prefer physical! I find plate tectonics simple as well, a lot of case studies though! Weather is the opposite, we are doing weather at the moment, and its a lot of theory! I've just finished World Cities, bleh its OK, not good, not bad. So glad I'm not needing to write an essay about it in the summer! :biggrin:

Yay, same page! :biggrin:
What's World Cities about? (Finishing Globalisation, WC is next topic)
Reply 41
Hey, I've just recieved my mocks back and despite revising ridiculously hard for them, I'm still really struggling with the essay technique, especially in the 40 markers, which are an absolute nightmare! My teachers say that my knowledge is good but I need to improve my essay technique. I know they mark our mocks harshly to shock us into revising and working harder, but no matter how much revision I do I can't seem to improve my essays. Does anybody have any good resources I could use or tips for the essays? Any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated.
Thanks.
Original post by HotfireLegend

Yay, same page! :biggrin:
What's World Cities about? (Finishing Globalisation, WC is next topic)

Well world cities is more about:
Slums, retailing, sustainability, urbanisation, counterurbanisation, suburbanisation etc :smile: cant remember what else, but there is more :smile:
Reply 43
Well world cities is more about:
Slums, retailing, sustainability, urbanisation, counterurbanisation, suburbanisation etc :smile: cant remember what else, but there is more :smile:

Sounds like the population unit put into context. Is it common sense stuff?

Jamiliah: PM me an example of how you'd answer a question and I'll see if I can help you with the technique.
(edited 12 years ago)
Sounds like the population unit put into context. Is it common sense stuff?

Yeah, I think a lot of its common sense to be honest :biggrin:
Reply 45
Yeah, I think a lot of its common sense to be honest :biggrin:

Then I should be ok. Just gotta get case studies learnt for application.

(Physical Geog is less common sense IMO)
Reply 46
Anyone feeling confident about this so far? I've just found out that since I've got so many UMS in my previous papers, all I need is a B on this paper to get an A overall!
Anyone feeling confident about this so far? I've just found out that since I've got so many UMS in my previous papers, all I need is a B on this paper to get an A overall!

I'm confident-ish. :L Just so much to learn!! And I've figured that out as well, I only need 80/120 UMS to get my A, and thats a high C! xD Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 48
I'm confident-ish. :L Just so much to learn!! And I've figured that out as well, I only need 80/120 UMS to get my A, and thats a high C! xD Good luck :biggrin:

*whistle* Good luck to you too!
Reply 49

I need 127/200 to get an A and a place at oxford for geography :tongue:

A bit worried about Unit 4B though. Anyone else think the 2 month preparation time for it is too short? I have other things to revise for as well you know AQA :tongue:
Reply 50
Original post by DavidCrow
I need 127/200 to get an A and a place at oxford for geography :tongue:

A bit worried about Unit 4B though. Anyone else think the 2 month preparation time for it is too short? I have other things to revise for as well you know AQA :tongue:

Wow, well done. My school did Paper 4 in January though. That gave us until Christmas to do the fieldwork and practise, and leaves us free for the Summer.

I have up to 4 Psychology papers to do in addition to GEO3...
Subscribing, any tips?
Reply 52
Original post by alittlehelp
Subscribing, any tips?

Any specific areas?
Tip on who to do well in the essays please? :biggrin:
Reply 54
Original post by keepinorder
Tip on who to do well in the essays please? :biggrin:

- Point
- Evidence
- Evaluation

- Synoptic (use case studies)
- Refer to facts and figures
- Evaluate
- Compare and contrast
- Future impacts
Reply 55
Does anyone have the mark scheme for the Assessment Exercises in the back of the Philip Allan book? (or the mark scheme for the AQA past paper in the back of the AQA book)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 56
Nelson Thornes book is appalling. This Phillip guy interests me dearly.
Reply 57
Just found out I have to get a C in the summer to get an A! happy days, but i'm still aiming for an A*
Reply 58
Not sure whether to aim for A or A* to be honest - I had Paper 4 remarked, and it came back exactly the same... I could 'take it easy' and get a B on this paper for the A, but if I want A*, I need like 97% on this paper, and there's no guarantee I'll get anywhere near that...

Bit of a debate, since I have to worry about Psychology too.

Acedlol: Check amazon?
Doing Plate Tectonics, Weather, Development & Globalization and Conflicts (our teachers make us learn four even though you only answer three to give us more choice) SO MUCH to learn though! However I am enjoying it and want to do it at uni!
How is everyone revising?

Quick Reply

Latest