The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by EveIsBored
Hello :smile: I have a question regarding module EC331 (Research in Applied Economics). I have an offer for L100, though, to be honest, I'm a little vary of this individual project as I've never done anything like it and am afraid it may prove to be too much of a challenge. I'd like to know whether it is fairly common for students to do projects on economic history (which is the subject that interests me most) and whether they are regarded as inferior to those that focus on more contemporary issues.

Hi,
If you are holding an offer for L100, then you don't have anything to worry about with the RAE project! The way the whole L100 course is designed is such that you will develop the tools in your first and second year which enables you to answer pretty much any question you have (in Economic History or other topics) during the RAE project.

For example, we teach mathematical and statistical methods in first year, followed by methods on computing and data analysis at the end of the first year, and then econometrics during the second year. This "toolbox" then helps you decide on an appropriate method to answer a question which you will develop along side a project "supervisor".

In terms of Economic History, this is one of the strengths of the department, and so we often see really good projects in interesting areas. If it's something which interests you, then I'm sure there will be great people around who you can ask for advice, or even supervise the project. It wouldn't be regarded in any way as inferior, and a top project in this area can lead on to further study (at MSc or PhD level) following on from your work.
(edited 12 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Hey,

The Warwick L100 Economics Course is currently showing up on my student finance application as a four year course, yet the course is clearly shown in all prospectuses and websites as a three year course. Could you clarify this for me, and also suggest why it's coming up as a four year course and how long this will take to change to the right number of years?
Reply 342
Original post by University of Warwick
Hey,
if you email [email protected] , they can clarify this for you. Have you already achieved any full A2 levels, or are they all being certificated in the summer?

Sorry didn't see this!
I hadn't at the time of applying although I have now (I did Maths A2 in January), but that won't be on my application
Reply 343
Original post by pieandmash
Hey,

The Warwick L100 Economics Course is currently showing up on my student finance application as a four year course, yet the course is clearly shown in all prospectuses and websites as a three year course. Could you clarify this for me, and also suggest why it's coming up as a four year course and how long this will take to change to the right number of years?

Hi,
yes, the course is a 3 year course, so I would contact the student finance people to check they have it down correctly.

If you need to contact the Warwick student finance people, their contact details are on their website at http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/academicoffice/finance/
Reply 344
hello!

I'm still in my first year of sixth form but i'm planning my A2s for next year. I'm interested in either doing economics or economics and maths at Warwick. I know some subjects are seen 'stronger' than others, and I was wondering if you look at Biology and Chemistry differently? I am currently only planning on carrying one on so would like to know which is generally preferred?
I hope this all made sense, and thank you for your time!
Reply 345
Hey,

I was wondering if you could give your opinion on the L116 Economics and Industrial Organisation, would this degree be better than the standard Economics L100 course to enter Investment banking and similar jobs? Im at a crossroad at the moment.

Thanks
Reply 346
Original post by Abi1233
hello!

I'm still in my first year of sixth form but i'm planning my A2s for next year. I'm interested in either doing economics or economics and maths at Warwick. I know some subjects are seen 'stronger' than others, and I was wondering if you look at Biology and Chemistry differently? I am currently only planning on carrying one on so would like to know which is generally preferred?
I hope this all made sense, and thank you for your time!

Hi,
no, we would regard Biology and Chemistry as very similar subjects. I would encourage you to study the one you will enjoy the most!
Reply 347
Original post by Jonty007
Hey,

I was wondering if you could give your opinion on the L116 Economics and Industrial Organisation, would this degree be better than the standard Economics L100 course to enter Investment banking and similar jobs? Im at a crossroad at the moment.

Thanks

With the flexibility in the L100 course, it is possible to tailor your L100 course to reflect a preference for studying modules in Industrial Economics, even if you don't enrol on the L116 course itself.

Aside from the name on your degree certificate, the main differences are

1. You are required to study the World Economy module in 1st year L100, but this is replaced with Foundations of Accounting and Finance in L116. You can still choose the other as an option on both courses, however.
2. You are required to study certain Industrial Economic modules on L116 in second year, which reduces your module choice flexibility considerably (for example, you wouldn't be able top study languages for course credit). If you are on L100, you can choose these modules as options, or choose something else entirely.

In terms of one degree simply being a "better brand name" for something like Investment Banking, I would say there is no difference at all, and it shouldn't be something which influences your choice.
Reply 348
With the flexibility in the L100 course, it is possible to tailor your L100 course to reflect a preference for studying modules in Industrial Economics, even if you don't enrol on the L116 course itself.

Aside from the name on your degree certificate, the main differences are

1. You are required to study the World Economy module in 1st year L100, but this is replaced with Foundations of Accounting and Finance in L116. You can still choose the other as an option on both courses, however.
2. You are required to study certain Industrial Economic modules on L116 in second year, which reduces your module choice flexibility considerably (for example, you wouldn't be able top study languages for course credit). If you are on L100, you can choose these modules as options, or choose something else entirely.

In terms of one degree simply being a "better brand name" for something like Investment Banking, I would say there is no difference at all, and it shouldn't be something which influences your choice.

Thank you very much! That was precisely my dilemma, choosing between a much more focused course or something with more flexbility. I think I will go for the L100 course as it would allow me to tailor the degree in such a way that it suits what I would want to study.
Reply 349
Does the department still intend to respond to most applicants by the end of the month? Is there a time when we are most likely to hear?

Thanks.
Reply 350
Original post by AVFC127
Does the department still intend to respond to most applicants by the end of the month? Is there a time when we are most likely to hear?

Thanks.

In past years, by the end of March we have typically replied to about 90% of applicants.

Given we are making offers at a quicker rate this year than in previous years, I'm hopeful that this figure will be higher by the end of the current month.
In past years, by the end of March we have typically replied to about 90% of applicants.

Given we are making offers at a quicker rate this year than in previous years, I'm hopeful that this figure will be higher by the end of the current month.

I was wondering if there are still offers to be given - it seems that most people are now receiving rejections.

Thanks
Reply 352
Original post by vinchenzo25
I was wondering if there are still offers to be given - it seems that most people are now receiving rejections.

Thanks

The latest figures I have from mid March indicate that we still have offers to make for both Home/EU and Overseas applicants
Reply 353
Hi,
I was just hoping to get some information on the potential study abroad opportunities offered within the department.

How competitive is the application process for the 2 placements for the Uni of California (in terms of the number of applications if possible) and are decisions for these places based solely on academic performance in the first year?

For the study abroad opportunities in Europe, is there a basic language requirement to be granted a placement? If so, can you incorporate learning the required language within your degree or does this need to be done outside of the course itself? Also what is the level of competition for these placements?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 354
Original post by RJ93
Hi,
I was just hoping to get some information on the potential study abroad opportunities offered within the department.

How competitive is the application process for the 2 placements for the Uni of California (in terms of the number of applications if possible) and are decisions for these places based solely on academic performance in the first year?

For the study abroad opportunities in Europe, is there a basic language requirement to be granted a placement? If so, can you incorporate learning the required language within your degree or does this need to be done outside of the course itself? Also what is the level of competition for these placements?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
study abroad typically takes place between the second and third year of study. Whilst the California scheme is competitive, it is not solely based on academic performance as to who is selected, though we do expect the students we send to be of a high standard.

In order to be able to take an Erasmus place in Europe, we ask that students have at least ‘A-level standard’ in the target language (except for those going to French institutions where language proficiency is expected to be higher).

This can be achieved via selecting language options in both the first and second year of study, which count towards your course credit, or via taking options outside the department.

Again, this scheme is competitive, though I don't have up to date information on how many applicants / places there were available last year, and more details are available on the website - http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/ug/current/erasmus. There should be contact details on the website if you wish to find out more about the UC or Erasmus scheme.

We are hopeful of expanding our placement opportunities in the near future (in a wide range of countries), but I wouldn't wish to promise that these will be available by the time you come to study, as we are currently only in the exploratory stage. The general plan is to make more opportunities available, however.
-

Hi,
In the eyes of the Warwick admissions department are those applicants that were made offers really early "stronger" than those that are yet to be made offers ?
Are those that received their offer in March, or are yet to receive it, weaker applicants than those who received it earlier, or is it just that they were at the bottom of the list and so you got round to assessing them later ?
I am sure their is no discrimination at Warwick once everyone gets in about who got their offers first, but I am just curious whether it is down to administrative reasons or academic reasons.
Thnx
Reply 356
Hi would students studying Economics and Business studies be disadvantaged when applying? also would taking 3 years to do a levels disadvantage you heavily?
Hi there,

I'm currently doing Maths (stats), History, Economics and Geography (which I'll drop at the end of the year), at AS.
From what I've read in a lot of prospectuses it seems that the more maths you have the better. So do you think picking up a further maths AS in year 2 would be a good move? I'd also be doing an extended project and I might as well ask if Warwick is interest in that while I'm at it.

Thank you in advance
Hi,
Is there a difference at the moment with percentages of people that have been offered/rejected for economics compared to economics & various supplements?
Reply 359
Original post by member910132
Hi,
In the eyes of the Warwick admissions department are those applicants that were made offers really early "stronger" than those that are yet to be made offers ?
Are those that received their offer in March, or are yet to receive it, weaker applicants than those who received it earlier, or is it just that they were at the bottom of the list and so you got round to assessing them later ?
I am sure their is no discrimination at Warwick once everyone gets in about who got their offers first, but I am just curious whether it is down to administrative reasons or academic reasons.
Thnx

Hi,
it can be a combination of many reasons, two of which you mention above, so it's not fair to try and pick out one specific factor above all.

In some situations, we would like to keep an application on "hold" to see if space permits us to make an offer, but on other occasions, we simply haven't got round to processing the application.

Quick Reply

Latest