The Student Room Group
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website

Anglia Ruskin University 2012

Hey everyone
I couldn’t find an Anglia Ruskin thread so I made one! I just got a conditional offer! I was soo happy
Is anyone else going to this university? Or had a conditional place here?

Also has anyone heard from accommodation?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've got a conditional offer too, which would change after my IELTS test results next month. I'm not completely sure if this is the school I wanna end up though. I'd be studying English lit & writing :smile: hbu?
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website
Reply 2
i'm doing social work :smile: do you live in Cambridge?
I've applied. And recieved an offer for Optometry.
Haven't been able to apply for accomodation yet because I haven't firmed it yet (waiting to see if Glasgow give me an offer too).
Reply 4
Got an offer last October to do Optometry. Have chosen ARU as my firm choice :smile:
Applied for Peter Taylor House accommodation about January/February time, haven't heard anything back from them about it though.
Reply 5
Original post by britchick
Got an offer last October to do Optometry. Have chosen ARU as my firm choice :smile:
Applied for Peter Taylor House accommodation about January/February time, haven't heard anything back from them about it though.

wow haven't you emailed them about it
Reply 6
SO what societies are you going to join?
Reply 7
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
I've applied. And recieved an offer for Optometry.
Haven't been able to apply for accomodation yet because I haven't firmed it yet (waiting to see if Glasgow give me an offer too).

hi im currently doing my AS levels in biology, chemistry, physics and Rs, and want to study optometry at university was just wondering what offer you been given to do optom at anglia ruskin. if you dont mind me asking?:smile:
Reply 8
I'm from Finland (that's why I have to take the language test). I haven't even gotten to the point where I'd think about accommodation! Can you guys tell me your thoughts about the school? You probably know a lot more about it than I. The internet is full of crap about everything, so I don't know if I should belive what it says about Anglia Ruskin.
Original post by rahema
hi im currently doing my AS levels in biology, chemistry, physics and Rs, and want to study optometry at university was just wondering what offer you been given to do optom at anglia ruskin. if you dont mind me asking?:smile:

Everyone got offered ABB. Mine was to include AB I'm maths and biology and the second B could be from anything. Other people's offers may be slightly different.
Original post by Ainoaino
I'm from Finland (that's why I have to take the language test). I haven't even gotten to the point where I'd think about accommodation! Can you guys tell me your thoughts about the school? You probably know a lot more about it than I. The internet is full of crap about everything, so I don't know if I should belive what it says about Anglia Ruskin.

I never heard a bad word about it, other than 'why go there? It's an old tech'. Yeah, well, most Optom schools are old techs.
I liked it. I liked the location, I liked the atmosphere and I think it'll be really good.
Reply 11
Hi everyone :smile:

I'm currently at ARU, so if you have any questions I'll try my best to answer them for you...Though I live at home away from campus, which a is a fair distance, so anything about nightlife, halls or societies will have fairly limited response, sorry. I'll have a go though ^_^

Just out of interest, what have you read about it Ainoaino? :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Rhia

I'm currently at ARU, so if you have any questions I'll try my best to answer them for you...Though I live at home away from campus, which a is a fair distance, so anything about nightlife, halls or societies will have fairly limited response, sorry. I'll have a go though ^_^

Well with quick google search I found some news about the school having problems with some students, who didn't feel like they were getting the education they paid for.

Then some threads where people say things like "a degree from Anglia Ruskin? You'd be better with no degree at all" and ****.

Somehow I feel like findind negative feed back and experiences from the school is the easiest thing ever, but then reading the good experiences is really hard! Like I just cant seem to find them anywhere :smile:

Anyway, do you have any knowledge of the English lit & writing course in Anglia Ruskin? :smile:
Reply 13
To be honest, I cannot relate to that situation, because from my experience so far, everything has been great :smile: Lecturers are passionate about what they teach and it's a great atmosphere. I haven't encountered any problems so far :smile:

I disagree with the opinion of those that feel an Anglia Ruskin degree isn't worth it. Admittedly, it is far down the league table, but if an opinion of a uni is purely based on that, then well, I'm not quite sure what to say.

I understand about the feedback point. It's easy to find negative points, but positive points are always more difficult to find!

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know anything about the English Lit and Writing course (my course in under the Faculty of Science and Technology). However, from the Guardian, under English, ARU is ranked 49th out of 106 for 2012, which is fairly high up (though I'm not too keen on league tables).

Link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-guide-english
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Rhia

Whats the university like?
Reply 15
Everyone got offered ABB. Mine was to include AB I'm maths and biology and the second B could be from anything. Other people's offers may be slightly different.

oh okay i was just wondering because im not completey sure if i should apply for optometry, because first of i may not get the grades and second i heard optometry quite competetive. do mind me asking if you got any other offers and if you applied for just optometry because im thinking of applying for orthoptics as well :smile:
Original post by rahema
oh okay i was just wondering because im not completey sure if i should apply for optometry, because first of i may not get the grades and second i heard optometry quite competetive. do mind me asking if you got any other offers and if you applied for just optometry because im thinking of applying for orthoptics as well :smile:

You can see them all in my sig, but I applied for Optom x4 at Manchester, Anglia Ruskin, Glasgow Caledonian and Ulster. I also applied for Orthoptics in Liverpool. I'm going to firm Anglia Ruskin and back-up Liverpool.
I'm predicted ABB, by the way, and got rejected without interview at Manch, an offer the same day as my application was sent from Anglia, an offer from Ulster about a month ago and Orthoptics arrived in December sometime. Waiting on Glasgow.
Reply 17
You can see them all in my sig, but I applied for Optom x4 at Manchester, Anglia Ruskin, Glasgow Caledonian and Ulster. I also applied for Orthoptics in Liverpool. I'm going to firm Anglia Ruskin and back-up Liverpool.
I'm predicted ABB, by the way, and got rejected without interview at Manch, an offer the same day as my application was sent from Anglia, an offer from Ulster about a month ago and Orthoptics arrived in December sometime. Waiting on Glasgow.

do you mind me asking what you got for your AS levels ?
Original post by rahema
do you mind me asking what you got for your AS levels ?

BBCC, but I've now resat and it's up to BBBC with one of the Bs very close to an A.
Reply 19
BBCC, but I've now resat and it's up to BBBC with one of the Bs very close to an A.

Ive been predicted BCCC, but trying to get at least the C's to B's at the end of AS. so im not sure what to do when it comes to apply for uni. Did you have lots of work experience within the optometry flied.

Quick Reply

Latest