The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA3 11th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hhh123
Really? When I write about a study I usually evaluate it using points such as gender bias and commenting on the methodology which creates abou 3 points. And then in my very end paragraph I would include synoptic issues such as reductionism determinism etc...?

Carry on usin gender bias and methodology etc. But then after that i use synoptic stuff. Eg theory or study is reductionist deterministic, nature nurture, scientific etc...
In unit 3 use synoptic cus thats where the eval marks are.
Have u got a list of debates/issues/approaches?
Reply 221
Original post by Eternal*
Carry on usin gender bias and methodology etc. But then after that i use synoptic stuff. Eg theory or study is reductionist deterministic, nature nurture, scientific etc...
In unit 3 use synoptic cus thats where the eval marks are.
Have u got a list of debates/issues/approaches?

Okay thanks :smile:

No I don't have a list of synoptic issues. I just go by reductionist deterministic nature V nurture psycholog as a science etc.. Any more to add to this?
Reply 222
Original post by Mephestic
sounds good to me, I got 100ums doing something similar- my technique was:

outline (usually 2 relevant theories)
studies supporting/against x 3 (2 should do also he good detail)
IDAs like mad.

Excellent thanks. What IDAs did you use?
Reply 223
Hello,

I did the exam in January but have to retake it... the questions were
Aggression: Institutional (small marker) then evolutuionary explanations of war (big marker)
Eating Behaviour: Neural and Hormonal mechanisms
Relationships: The Breakdown of

Just wondering what peoples' predictions were for Aggression/Eating Behaviour/Relationships in June?
Original post by thursdayJ
Hello,

I did the exam in January but have to retake it... the questions were
Aggression: Institutional (small marker) then evolutuionary explanations of war (big marker)
Eating Behaviour: Neural and Hormonal mechanisms
Relationships: The Breakdown of

Just wondering what peoples' predictions were for Aggression/Eating Behaviour/Relationships in June?

Relationships: sexual selection/maintenance
Eating behaviour: they haven't specifically asked biological explanations of a eating disorder whereas they have mentioned 'psychological' soo idk XD

aggression: probably genes (longer question) or social psychological theories (:

but idk, best to learn everything (:
Original post by hhh123
Excellent thanks. What IDAs did you use?

it depends on the studies! generally aggression is easy as most reseach has been into men, not women-violence among women is much lower-if there is a genetic link surely women should have equal levels which isn't the case. therefore gender bias is evident but also highlights the nature v nurture debate- is it genes causing aggression or environment and learning? etc

for relationships I wrote about real world applications for counselling for ducks model in helping people overcome breakup etc
Reply 226
^^^ okay thanks for the ideas.

Please can someone tell me what the aggression eating and sleeping questions were in jan 2012?
Reply 227
Original post by hhh123
^^^ okay thanks for the ideas.

Please can someone tell me what the aggression eating and sleeping questions were in jan 2012?

Sleep was split:

Outline one explanation for narcolepsy. (4 marks)

Outline and evaluate Evolutionary explanations for sleep. (4+16 marks)

Eating:

Outline and evaluate the role of neural mechanisms in eating behaviour. (8+16 marks)

I didn't do Aggression sorry. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 228
The aggression question in jan was also split..
4marks on research into institutional aggression
20marks on evolutionary explanations of group displays of aggression
Original post by Heyimdec
Sleep was split:

Outline one explanation for narcolepsy. (4 marks)

Outline and evaluate Evolutionary explanations for sleep. (4+16 marks)

Eating:

Outline and evaluate the role of neural mechanisms in eating behaviour. (8+16 marks)

I didn't do Aggression sorry. :smile:

Original post by Mephestic
it depends on the studies! generally aggression is easy as most reseach has been into men, not women-violence among women is much lower-if there is a genetic link surely women should have equal levels which isn't the case. therefore gender bias is evident but also highlights the nature v nurture debate- is it genes causing aggression or environment and learning? etc

for relationships I wrote about real world applications for counselling for ducks model in helping people overcome breakup etc

Original post by VanessaXD
Relationships: sexual selection/maintenance
Eating behaviour: they haven't specifically asked biological explanations of a eating disorder whereas they have mentioned 'psychological' soo idk XD

aggression: probably genes (longer question) or social psychological theories (:

but idk, best to learn everything (:

Whats prediction of Agression, Relationships and Gender?

Thankyou
Original post by hhh123

No I don't have a list of synoptic issues. I just go by reductionist deterministic nature V nurture psycholog as a science etc.. Any more to add to this?

Role of animals, free-will,
Anyone got any aggression notes on their laptop/computer?
Reply 232
Original post by hhh123

Gender bias, culture bias, ethical issues, role of animals, free will, is psychology a science? You could also use the approaches (behavioural, psychodynamic, evolutionary, biological and cognitive).
(edited 11 years ago)
how would a sexual selection question be phrased? ANYONE?! my teacher said she doesnt think it could come up on its own as a 24 marker :/
Original post by Eternal*
Anyone got any aggression notes on their laptop/computer?

http://www.brain-freeze.co.uk/psychologya2notes.html
Reply 235

**** me. Where was this for January Q_Q

:>>>>>>>>>>>>
Reply 236
People keep asking for what is 'likely' to come up, I'm sure it's been previously mentioned but here are my teachers predictions:

Relationships: Sexual Selection/PI

Aggression: Social Explanations (Social Learning Theory + Deindividuation)

Biological Rhythms and Sleep: Restoration Theory + Sleep Disorders (SW?)

Then again, I guess that is most likely, and depends on how they word the questions. I cannot emphasise how much I dislike this paper, and it's hard to tell what will come up because they sometimes split the questions.

Hopefully this paper will be better second time round! ^^
Reply 237
Original post by idealized
how would a sexual selection question be phrased? ANYONE?! my teacher said she doesnt think it could come up on its own as a 24 marker :/

It will be worded very similar to this:

'Discuss the relationship between sexual selection and human reproductive behaviour. (8+16 marks)'

And yes it is a possible 24 marker to come up, we made a plan in class for it. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Heyimdec
It will be worded very similar to this:

'Discuss the relationship between sexual selection and human reproductive behaviour. (8+16 marks)'

And yes it is a possible 24 marker to come up, we made a plan in class for it. :smile:

so thats the same as outlining and evaluating? =]
Reply 239
Original post by idealized
so thats the same as outlining and evaluating? =]

It is yes. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest