The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Feb 2012 W100 people over here!

Seems like there are a few of us! Thought it'd be good to get our own thread going!

So I'm a 34yr old single mum to a 5yr old little girl, mid divorce after 11 years marriage, living near Guildford, not studied since I was 15 so this'll be interesting to say the least!! Tell me a bit about you!

Oh and I received my NUS Extra card today - silly excited for some daft reason & can't wait to use it! I'm officially a student now! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi, nice to hear from you :smile:

I'm 21 and have just dropped out of Nottingham University because I simply wasn't happy there. I was studying history but have decided to start law in Feb. I have also decided to work part time whilst studying and I think I will be much better off.

It was quite a sudden decision really but I am sure it's the right one. Plus I prefer the south of Eng to the North tehe...no offence northerners!

What made you decide to study law?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
I'm also enrolled for W100 in February. I'm just working my way through Y166 at the moment.
Reply 3
Original post by puddingandpie
What made you decide to study law?

In all honesty - the divorce! In the last 18 months I've had to deal with so many various orders & battles & I've actually really enjoyed researching it all & going to court, making applications & arguing it all. It's really fired me up & being able to help friends with some of their battles, I find it really interesting. Plus the amount of money I've paid out to solicitors when I have had to use them - my god if they're making that much out of just me what the heck are they making per annum off everyone?? I want some of that thank you! :biggrin:

Hi Clumpy! :smile:

So what is everyone doing to prepare? I'm thinking I need to set up some sort of desk area & filing cabinet, make sure the laptop will survive a few more years & fix some niggles there, stock up on ink cartridges & paper...

Any books or anything you're getting in advance? Anything you're looking into early? Wondering if I need to ask for certain materials for Christmas!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Just thought I'd pop in and say hello to all you LLB newbies :tongue: As some sort of OU LLB "veteran" I'll help where I can, just quote me if you need anything.

One thing you guys might want to consider is joining the Open University Law Society.. The elections for committee roles are going to run in December, and if you want to volunteer for anything, you have until the 21st November to nominate yourself :smile: Membership is also freeeee!
Reply 5
Original post by alawhisp
Just thought I'd pop in and say hello to all you LLB newbies :tongue: As some sort of OU LLB "veteran" I'll help where I can, just quote me if you need anything.

One thing you guys might want to consider is joining the Open University Law Society.. The elections for committee roles are going to run in December, and if you want to volunteer for anything, you have until the 21st November to nominate yourself :smile: Membership is also freeeee!

Thanks for all that! Have checked out the society, I've only glanced it for now but it doesn't say if you need to attend meetings in person or it it's all online or teleconferencing or what? Would committee members have to be local & if so local to where? London? Shall have a proper looksie later. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Oppro
Thanks for all that! Have checked out the society, I've only glanced it for now but it doesn't say if you need to attend meetings in person or it it's all online or teleconferencing or what? Would committee members have to be local & if so local to where? London? Shall have a proper looksie later. :smile:

There's very little going on at the moment, really. They've had some struggles with getting members and volunteers, I think. There's no mention of committee members needing to attend meetings in person, so I have no idea how they manage it. Sorry I can't answer your questions, I only found out that they existed a few months ago :tongue:
Original post by Oppro
In all honesty - the divorce! In the last 18 months I've had to deal with so many various orders & battles & I've actually really enjoyed researching it all & going to court, making applications & arguing it all. It's really fired me up & being able to help friends with some of their battles, I find it really interesting. Plus the amount of money I've paid out to solicitors when I have had to use them - my god if they're making that much out of just me what the heck are they making per annum off everyone?? I want some of that thank you! :biggrin:

Hi Clumpy! :smile:

So what is everyone doing to prepare? I'm thinking I need to set up some sort of desk area & filing cabinet, make sure the laptop will survive a few more years & fix some niggles there, stock up on ink cartridges & paper...

Any books or anything you're getting in advance? Anything you're looking into early? Wondering if I need to ask for certain materials for Christmas!

Wow, well good luck with your future study, hope all goes well :smile:

To be honest, I'm not doing anything to prepare at the moment, just making sure the office area is tidy and all stationary is ready for lift off.
Original post by alawhisp

I shall check out the law society too, thanks :smile:
Reply 9
Currently in a massive debate about whether or not to start this course. Eeek.
why did someone give me a negative rating...did i say something wrong? :frown:
Reply 11

I don't understand the neg thing round here, it seems you get a neg rating for answering a question, giving an opinion, being nice, being mean, agreeing, disagreeing... have given up being bothered about it & I've only been here a week! :biggrin:
Original post by Oppro
I don't understand the neg thing round here, it seems you get a neg rating for answering a question, giving an opinion, being nice, being mean, agreeing, disagreeing... have given up being bothered about it & I've only been here a week! :biggrin:

tehe, maybe I should stop being paranoid about it :biggrin:
Reply 13

I was wondering why someone did that too, your post's fine!
Reply 14
Hi, wanted to introduce myself.
I am ebba, 33 and will be studying w100 in february.
Has anyone bought the books already?
Has anyone booked more courses for september 2012?
Reply 15
Just a quick question, I phoned up OU earlier to ask about what amount of financial support I could expect to receive and she said if I fill out the form that'll tell me, and I then can decide whether or not to commit myself to the course (I was worried that filling it in would mean I'd already committed myself, but she said it just reserves a place and shows my interest). So, I was just wondering if this is the 'register' part under W100 or something else? If anyone knows :smile:
Reply 16
Yes Smoosh... the Register button only "holds" a place for you.
You need to go through the payment/financial support application sequence before you are finally committed and even then you can withdraw/transfer/cancel before the course starts with no penalty :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Hexe72
Yes Smoosh... the Register button only "holds" a place for you.
You need to go through the payment/financial support application sequence before you are finally committed and even then you can withdraw/transfer/cancel before the course starts with no penalty :smile:

Thank you :biggrin: Didn't want to accidentally sign myself up :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by Smoosh
Thank you :biggrin: Didn't want to accidentally sign myself up :tongue:

Yeah I know the feeling :tongue:

Not sure if you're eligible for the financial support side of things but don't let that put you off registering for places either. Just click through that you want to apply for financial support and let them process the application. If/when it's approved the funds will "sit on your account" until you apply them to the relevant course/s you want to use them for. Also you can transfer those funds to a different course/s as long as it's BEFORE THE COURSE START DATE with no penalty.

Some courses do fill up quicker than others and this is a good way to ensure you don't miss out. Pre-register for all of the courses you're interested in (within reason lol) and then decide nearer the time which one/s you actually want to do :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by ebbajay
Hi, wanted to introduce myself.
I am ebba, 33 and will be studying w100 in february.
Has anyone bought the books already?
Has anyone booked more courses for september 2012?

Hi ebba,
Welcome to the OU :biggrin:

You don't have to buy any books now, everything you need is included in the course fees and will be sent to you nearer the start date.

The only reason you see some people buying books in advance is to be able to get a headstart on the workload, especially if they are committing a lot of time elsewhere or taking on a high workload at once.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending