The Student Room Group

Why English players are overrated

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
There is a culture of negativity in England and I assure you that the media like nothing more than to see us fail so that they can blame the players. The fans are guilty too. Can you name me any fans of a country that boo their own captain (John Terry)? Rooney is constantly lambasted and vilified in the press, yet we expect him to be our talisman. I don't even think English players even enjoy playing for our country, and it doesn't surprise me. People also complain about the lack of English players in premier league teams. This is true, but I wonder what sort of reaction you would elicit from the fans if a top club decided to field a team of young English players? If it compromised their league position, I bet the fans would be calling for the manager's head and a return to fielding the foreign superstars.

If England want some sort of success at international level, then that is a problem we should address.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 101
If Javier Hernandez was English, would he be worth more? Yes. What other major country would hype up Emile Heskey as the solution to a striker problem (World Cup 2010 buildup). And no other country has more overrated players (feel free to name any countries btw) than England. Six pages of this thread, and still noone can say I'm wrong.
Reply 102
You're completely right - I mean look at the England football team - LOL! I can almost envisage the Euro 2012 - we've got a relatively easy group, definitely won't make it through. Embarrassing - lmao. I suppose all you can do is laugh really......
Reply 103
Original post by knoxuk
You're completely right - I mean look at the England football team - LOL! I can almost envisage the Euro 2012 - we've got a relatively easy group, definitely won't make it through. Embarrassing - lmao. I suppose all you can do is laugh really......

Or cry. I still remember 2010, a so called "easy" group, Green ****ed up against the Yanks, the Algeria game is the worst I've ever seen, they beat Slovenia (and apparently England were back, and going to win the WC the "hard way"). And then they got raped by the Germans.
Reply 104
Original post by elijahbrooke
Or cry. I still remember 2010, a so called "easy" group, Green ****ed up against the Yanks, the Algeria game is the worst I've ever seen, they beat Slovenia (and apparently England were back, and going to win the WC the "hard way"). And then they got raped by the Germans.

I remember when we played Spai na couple of months back, "Oh we'll get slaughtered... we're so ****... 4-0 I'm telling ya... This'll be good.. blah blah blah" The squads were announced, it was a young squad, not the best, and we went and beat them.

The world cup mess was down to the squad selection and Capello has to be even more careful with it now that Lampard and Terry are older, not as good etc.
@ Jim-Jam, we won because of luck and determination. Don't expect the same result next time. It is obvious Spain didn't give a **** about the match and even then we were dominated. Trust me, if we were to play them in a competition, I would expect to see us get raped.
Reply 106
Original post by Darth Vader 7
@ Jim-Jam, we won because of luck and determination. Don't expect the same result next time. It is obvious Spain didn't give a **** about the match and even then we were dominated. Trust me, if we were to play them in a competition, I would expect to see us get raped.

They didn't give a ****? Really? I didn't know you were one of their managerial staff or players.
Reply 107
Name a country that has better players than England.

And I'll name you 10 countries that have worse players than England.
Reply 108
Original post by elijahbrooke

Yep - very true, we beat Spain but got totally dominated - like you said; we would/will get absolutely hammered by them in the Euros.
Reply 109
Original post by Jim-Jam
They didn't give a ****? Really? I didn't know you were one of their managerial staff or players.

You don't have to be part of their staff to realise they evidently didn't really care as much about the fixture as we might have. Make that a competitive game and the final 10 mins of domination from their side would have been the whole 90 minute game against us.

That said, we didn't play some star players either. Welbeck Sturridge Cleverley & Wilshire would cause any team problems, none of whom were at the world cup. Smalling & Jones are ridiculously good too.

I honestly think England could be see in this euro's as what Germany were in the last world cup - a revelation of a new generation. This is comming from one of the most pessimistic england supporters around, too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 110
It's not only English players to be honest. If you go to Brazil you won't believe the hype they're building for Neymar. They're desperate for their next superstar, especially as they can't stand Messi being the best in the world.
Reply 111
Original post by rickjames
You don't have to be part of their staff to realise they evidently didn't really care as much about the fixture as we might have. Make that a competitive game and the final 10 mins of domination from their side would have been the whole 90 minute game against us.

That said, we didn't play some star players either. Welbeck Sturridge Cleverley & Wilshire would cause any team problems, none of whom were at the world cup. Smalling & Jones are ridiculously good too.

I honestly think England could be see in this euro's as what Germany were in the last world cup - a revelation of a new generation. This is comming from one of the most pessimistic england supporters around, too.

I thought you were being veeeerrryy sarcastic till that last bit. :P I agree, and teams seem to be using their young English players too.

United - Jones, Smalling (Welbeck)
Chelsea - Sturridge
Liverpool - Henderson, Kelly, (Shelvey, Spearing)
Arsenal - Wilshire

Then there's like Walker, Gibbs, loads of them.

Only question is, will they be any good? They don't have to be as individually good as Lampard/Ferdinand/Gerrard if they can play together tbh!

And Brazilians are often overhyped. Robinho, Adriano, where are they at now? Not heard anything about them in years.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 112
Original post by Jim-Jam
I thought you were being veeeerrryy sarcastic till that last bit. :P I agree, and teams seem to be using their young English players too.

United - Jones, Smalling (Welbeck)
Chelsea - Sturridge
Liverpool - Henderson, Kelly, (Shelvey, Spearing)
Arsenal - Wilshire

Then there's like Walker, Gibbs, loads of them.

Only question is, will they be any good? They don't have to be as individually good as Lampard/Ferdinand/Gerrard if they can play together tbh!

And Brazilians are often overhyped. Robinho, Adriano, where are they at now? Not heard anything about them in years.

I think a bulk of that depends on the manager in question. They need to be protected from the media and given the right system to flourish in. Easier said than done, and sometimes I wonder if Capello is right for the job given his stubborn nature to follow 442.
Reply 113
this is like a prediction for the euros...
Media hype.
England DO have a world class player

He's called Paul Scholes

Quick Reply

Latest