The Student Room Group

Receding Hairline Help (PICS INCLUDED)

Hi,

My hairline has receded massively over the last few years and has dragged my confidence down a lot and I don't know what to do with my hair.I have attatched a picture of what my hair currently looks like below. Please tell me the best style I should have.

=[[.jpg

Scroll to see replies

out of interest what age are you now and how old were you when the balding began?

Im kind of in a similar boat
Reply 2
Front up to it and shave it all off. Young men with hair just on the sides of their head look utterly ridiculous. Not that you have that, I think you're probably OK now, but just when it reaches a critical level of baldness. The 'event horizon' if you will.
I can't believe your username is Recede. Your hair really really doesn't look that bad, definitely not something to be insecure about.. I think a picture from the front but showing the top of your head would help.

There are some products on the market now that are meant to help with hair growth but I have no idea if they work! Might be worth trying them if it's really upsetting you, but I can't see anything wrong with your hair!
have a 1 all over imo, including stubble
Reply 5
Original post by bloomblaze
out of interest what age are you now and how old were you when the balding began?

Im kind of in a similar boat

I'm 19 but I started to notice my hairline receding when I was 16.

Apparently none of the products on the market can actually grow hair back once the hair has gone.

I feel really insecure about my hair now, I honestly think it is at a critical level of baldness. I walk around with a baseball cap every time I go outside. Luckily for me I work at cineworld where the uniform consists of wearing a baseball cap.

This is what my hair looks like from the top. However my hair is shorter in that picture. I don't know whether my hair looks better shorter or longer.

ha.bmp
Reply 6
Original post by mandem2k11
have a 1 all over imo, including stubble

I might give that a go. Not sure if the buzz cut suits my face type though... But I guess I can't be picky.
Reply 7
do a wayne rooney - worked for him - but whoever said number one all over was a good shout
Reply 8
Original post by potter94
do a wayne rooney - worked for him - but whoever said number one all over was a good shout

I would happily do a Wayne Rooney if I had £30,000.
Reply 9
Original post by Recede
I would happily do a Wayne Rooney if I had £30,000.

haha yeah - you're a student a don't have a spare 30k? well who knows maybe in the future - just try a load of styles out and experiment - you'll soon find something that is right for you which you are comfortable with - maybe ask a barber or someone - I'm sure they have loads of people asking these questions
Reply 10
Original post by potter94
haha yeah - you're a student a don't have a spare 30k? well who knows maybe in the future - just try a load of styles out and experiment - you'll soon find something that is right for you which you are comfortable with - maybe ask a barber or someone - I'm sure they have loads of people asking these questions

Good idea! I'll go to the barbers tommorow morning and ask them what they think is the best hair style for my receding hairline. Hopefully they can tell me the miracle, er, I mean answer that I need to hear.
Propecia...minoxidil. This should help you maintain your hair as it is - make sure you read up about sides.

But the bad news is, because your hairloss is so aggressive at 19. You may lose it w/o treatments by the time you are in your mid 20s.

I am in mid 20s, and a lot of my friends that are bald right now, were losing hair heavily at your age.

The good news is, hair cloning is around the corner. Google 'histogen', 'aderans' and 'replicel', so even if you lose it young, you may be able to get your hair back once better treatments come to the market. If you want to look into Hair transplants now, check our hasci - dr gho. he will be able to perform a HT without your donor hair being depleated.

Failing all of the above - shave it off.
Reply 12
What is the average age for your hair to recede?
Reply 13
Original post by fat_hobbit
Propecia...minoxidil. This should help you maintain your hair as it is - make sure you read up about sides.

But the bad news is, because your hairloss is so aggressive at 19. You may lose it w/o treatments by the time you are in your mid 20s.

I am in mid 20s, and a lot of my friends that are bald right now, were losing hair heavily at your age.

The good news is, hair cloning is around the corner. Google 'histogen', 'aderans' and 'replicel', so even if you lose it young, you may be able to get your hair back once better treatments come to the market. If you want to look into Hair transplants now, check our hasci - dr gho. he will be able to perform a HT without your donor hair being depleated.

Failing all of the above - shave it off.

Hair cloning looks very exciting, however I bet it would cost an arm and a leg like hair transplants. I'm currently using minoxidil. I started around three weeks ago. Would you recommend me having a number 1 buzz cut for now?
Reply 14
Original post by ALII

Depends, some peoples hair never recedes.
Original post by Recede
Hair cloning looks very exciting, however I bet it would cost an arm and a leg like hair transplants. I'm currently using minoxidil. I started around three weeks ago. Would you recommend me having a number 1 buzz cut for now?

I cant really advise you, as I can't see your face.

But , yes generally with severe recession it is better to go shorter. Or if your recession is not so bad, you can try the 'jude law' (pre extreme baldness) style. My hairline is a bit like pierce brosnans these days.

But yeah, receeding hairlines sucks.

Check out Dr gho, is is basically doing hair multiplication...if my own hairloss was severe enough, touch wood it isn't, I probably would go to him.
Original post by ALII

For aggressive cases, late teens, early 20s

Rooney for example was losing his hair when he was at Everton - and he was 17/18

Many other guys lose a bit of hair, but don't go full out bald - 'mature hairline'. 20-40. Pierce Brosnan, Jordan knight to name a couple.

And then finally, there are some lucky lucky bastards, who don't have any hair loss at all.

Generally though, if you are just receeding and not diffusing, by that, your hair as a whole becoming a thinner. You may get away with not losing it all. If you develop a bald spot, pretty much destined to be bald.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by fat_hobbit
I cant really advise you, as I can't see your face.

But , yes generally with severe recession it is better to go shorter. Or if your recession is not so bad, you can try the 'jude law' (pre extreme baldness) style. My hairline is a bit like pierce brosnans these days.

But yeah, receeding hairlines sucks.

Check out Dr gho, is is basically doing hair multiplication...if my own hairloss was severe enough, touch wood it isn't, I probably would go to him.

Thanks for the advice. I would love to have a hairline like Pierce Brosnans btw!!

Dr gho seems like a miracle worker, unfourtunately an expensive miracle worker aha.
Original post by Recede
Thanks for the advice. I would love to have a hairline like Pierce Brosnans btw!!

Dr gho seems like a miracle worker, unfourtunately an expensive miracle worker aha.

Yeah, Pierce brosnan is a great example of hairloss that stabilises after a while. If anything it makes him look distinguished.

'mature hairline'

Clearly he has receded a bit. I think he looks better with that hairstyle, then his heavy mop days. Very handsome man, would love to look like him.

My hairline is not has back as his, probably because I am much younger, but I think the worse thing about hairloss; especially with receders, you never know how far back your hairline will go.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Recede

BTW gho is cheaper then what rooney paid!

Quick Reply

Latest