The Student Room Group

AS AQA B English Literature

How is anyone revising for this? And any predictions for what might come up? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am right now! (Well not right now..)! But yeah. Depends were studying Tennyson - and I'm hoping for Mariana to be honest - but can't help but fear that The Lotus Eaters will come up. Also for section (b) perhaps something on settings/characters hopefully. Im doing practice essay making notes on cue cards etc. GOOD LUCK
Reply 2
I'm doing this also, just making powerpoints for each of my 2 books and poems, all about themes, symbols + aspects of narrative. Praying that setting comes up for one of the questions!
I want settings to come up too!! I don't want narrative voice or something random to come up :frown:
What texts have you guys been studying??
Reply 4
Well I'm Studying
"The Road"
"The Great Gatsby"
"The Rime of the Ancient Mariner"
Tennyson Poetry
Reply 5
How about you?
Reply 6
Studying 'Enduring Love' (loathe); 'The Road'; Tennyson and Hardy poetry.
Dreading the exam... No idea how to revise for it :/
Reply 7
any browning predictions?
i've done this exam twice already, and retaking again...

despite what people tell you, the time limit is really off putting. DON'T forget to plan. i made this mistake the first time. it's better to have a good plan with topic sentences relating back to the question than to immediately start writing.

the questions seem to be getting harder and harder - Gatsby for example in January (section a) seemed to be a nice question - chapter 2 and Tom buchanan, however, answers with good thought and ideas seemed to score particularly low marks. and section B was ridiculous. one question was the significance of names in the texts (and for Hardy poetry this is not possible to answer as none of the poems have any names in) and the other was genres (which isn't actually on the specification), schools have complained, and believe me, think about the obscure questions we are likely to get and try and answer them. it'll make the exam so much easier in the summer.

don't worry!

for gatsby, (section a) all the chapters have appeared once in the question (except one of them - can't remember which one) but it seems too predictable to have this one... - to be honest it could be any of them... - make sure you know EXACTLY what happens in each of the chapters - you'll spend less time flicking through the book in the exam wasting time!
part 2 of section a always is related to part 1 - for example, in January, part 1 was on chapter 2 and part 2 was on Tom. summer before it was on chapter 1 and then the role of Nick as a narrator...

just make sure you've read the texts plenty of times and know them as well as possible.
best thing to do - don't freak out in the exam. stay calm and enjoy yourself... (if that's possible) x
Original post by Yumnaarrhhh
I want settings to come up too!! I don't want narrative voice or something random to come up :frown:
What texts have you guys been studying??

settings would be a lovely questions, but remember to illustrate your points through other aspects of narrative; talk about how voices SHAPE places etc.

i've studied Gatsby (Section A) and Rossetti poetry, Hardy poetry and the kite runner :smile:

don't worry too much! x
I think this exam is really difficult, I keep doing rubbish in my practise essays and this holiday I've tried to revise for it but still don't feel prepared!

The texts I'm doing are:
- The Kite Runner
- The Dubliners (only 4 stories)
- Tennyson poetry
- Browning poetry

If anyone can give me some good resources and advice it'll be much appreciated!
Original post by zakkaz
Well I'm Studying
"The Road"
"The Great Gatsby"
"The Rime of the Ancient Mariner"
Tennyson Poetry

Ooh we were going to the 'The Road' but my teacher chose 'Small Island'..
I've studied: Small Island, The Great Gatsby, Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Keats' poetry..

Hmm what are you planning to use for question A? :smile:
Original post by charlotteboulton28
settings would be a lovely questions, but remember to illustrate your points through other aspects of narrative; talk about how voices SHAPE places etc.

i've studied Gatsby (Section A) and Rossetti poetry, Hardy poetry and the kite runner :smile:

don't worry too much! x

I think I might do Gatsby for section A too, praying a good question will come up because I cannot answer the Section A, part B questions :cry:
Any advice for them?

And I'll try not to worry :tongue: :smile:
Original post by charlotteboulton28

don't worry too much! x

I was wondering whether you remembered the hardy questions from January? I'm doing hardy and gatsby too, and I've noticed you said the part B was hard to answer on hardy as there's no names mentioned.
Thanks!
Reply 14
Original post by Yumnaarrhhh
Ooh we were going to the 'The Road' but my teacher chose 'Small Island'..
I've studied: Small Island, The Great Gatsby, Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Keats' poetry..

Hmm what are you planning to use for question A? :smile:

Awesome! I'm doing Tennyson for section A

(The Road is my back up section A - if Tennyson is like 100% impossible)
Reply 15
I'm resitting this (for the third time) I'm just rereading the texts over and over again and will remember a quote for every character. God, the question for all 3 texts in January was 'Write about the significance of names in the texts'. The teachers were quite shocked with that, it was hard to say the least. Great Gatsby was good for names but Kite Runner and Ancient Mariner, really??? Because Life-in-Death and the Mariner are really significant names when you come to think of it.
Reply 16
We are doing:
Great Expectations
The Kite Runner
Hardy Poetry
Browning Poetry

I am having trouble revising, I have no idea what to do for any of these? Could anyone give me a structure to go by? My school is useless, we haven't even read the 2 novels yet!
Reply 17
Anyone know the Section A question for Browning in January this year?
Original post by JRSmith29395
Anyone know the Section A question for Browning in January this year?

I think it was about women in his poetry, I'll find out tomorrow cos our teacher will tell us & confirm then :smile:
Reply 19
I'm doing:

The Great Gatsby (love)
The God of Small Things (loathe)
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Keats Poetry

Am trying to make an educated guess as to what chapter I'll be asked about in Section A for The Great Gatsby. I mean, I know there's only nine, but AQA are sneaky bastards :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending