The Student Room Group

Higher English 2012 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LiveToSki
Is anyone else obsessively putting in the scores they think they got in the estimates calculator and get percentage..

If it remains at 65%-70% i am either a very high B or very low A

Meee!! My head is spinning lol! However, Im obsessing over getting a B, dont think i done well in my essays today, however my folio was very strong :confused:
Original post by LiveToSki
Is anyone else obsessively putting in the scores they think they got in the estimates calculator and get percentage..

If it remains at 65%-70% i am either a very high B or very low A

Yep, I am doing the exact same :P

Hoping for 30/50 for essays and 30/50 for close-reading which with my folio's prediction would give me 63%, which has been a secure B in recent years.

Seriously, I just want a B for English so I don't need to re-sit :3
so does anyone know how to calculate it so you can factor in the 20% from folio?
Original post by JackoGeddes
so does anyone know how to calculate it so you can factor in the 20% from folio?

http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/46172.html

Choose "Higher",
cheers lads, basically the lowest possible i believe i could get i.e 17 for one essay, 11 for the other, aswell as around 27/28 in close reading with only a 30 folio still gives me a 56% B! hoping my folio is a tad stronger and i can get a for my cone gatherers essay, as well as mabye a tad higher in the close reading.

Can someone, please, and i am begging you, upload the paper?
Reply 565
What would you think about the chances of me getting an A if I told you that I completely accidentally missed out the very last 5 mark close reading question because I was too stupid to turn over the page?
I missed out 11 marks in total for close reading so I'm screwed.

Critical essays-
Q1 - a streetcar named desire
Q8 - the test by angelica Gibbs. Any one else do q8? Idk why I did it i started it and realised it was really difficult especially with the short story I was doing...

Needed a B, looks like I will be resitting
Reply 567
Original post by TheDuck!
What would you think about the chances of me getting an A if I told you that I completely accidentally missed out the very last 5 mark close reading question because I was too stupid to turn over the page?

Ouch. You fool :s-smilie: It depends, how did you cope with the rest of the paper?
Reply 568
Original post by McCaw95
Ouch. You fool :s-smilie: It depends, how did you cope with the rest of the paper?

Ohhh I don't know. I think my essays were good and folio was good but I really didn't enjoy the close reading. I just felt like I was doing it wrong the whole time I was doing it.

I can't believe it has actually happened to me though. It is a nightmare situation. I can't believe I missed out a whole question in the real exam.
Ohhh I don't know. I think my essays were good and folio was good but I really didn't enjoy the close reading. I just felt like I was doing it wrong the whole time I was doing it.

I can't believe it has actually happened to me though. It is a nightmare situation. I can't believe I missed out a whole question in the real exam.

i did this, one essay was okay, folio was okay, close reading i just felt nervous and didn't tackle it right, i feel like if i was sitting in my housecoat at home doing that i'd have got 35 or so no bother.

also i can never do the last question, so i lost 5 too. don't worry, a B is 55%, so if you got atleast 25/26 out of the whole paper your still on track depending on essays and folio!
Reply 570

Don't panic, it's not a total disaster. It happens to the best of us at times. Think about your essays - what do you think you got for that? And what is your folio sitting at do you reckon? :smile:
but i repeat, does anyone have the paper? i'd love to go over it tonight.

thanks!
Reply 572

thanks!

I have bother papers, which one is it you're looking for? :smile:
Reply 573
Original post by McCaw95
Don't panic, it's not a total disaster. It happens to the best of us at times. Think about your essays - what do you think you got for that? And what is your folio sitting at do you reckon? :smile:

In my last prelim I got two 19's for my essays. It felt as if my essays were good so I would be thinking that they get around the same.

I was never actually told what mark my folio essays would achieve but I was told they were good. Maybe a 19 for both of them again.

This is an absolutely horrible situation though. I really wanted 5 A's and I was working so hard to get them. Now that seems like a far fetched situation.

Thanks for being so kind btw. It is nice to have someone to talk to about this. I am too scared to tell anyone else.
Reply 574

thanks!

Someone added it to another English thread with a PDF file on 2 shared.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 575
In my last prelim I got two 19's for my essays. It felt as if my essays were good so I would be thinking that they get around the same.

I was never actually told what mark my folio essays would achieve but I was told they were good. Maybe a 19 for both of them again.

This is an absolutely horrible situation though. I really wanted 5 A's and I was working so hard to get them. Now that seems like a far fetched situation.

Thanks for being so kind btw. It is nice to have someone to talk to about this. I am too scared to tell anyone else.

Good solid essays and folio there then :smile: at the end of the day (and I know it's kind of hard to think about it), it's only 5 marks. You can afford to lose 15 marks and still get an A (70%) for the close reading alone. Just put it out of your mind for now and focus on the next exam :smile:

I'm gunning for 5 A's this year too, got a B in the prelim for English because I was lazy and did no revision, so I pulled my finger out for today and I am hoping and praying that I got an A. I'm more worried about my chemistry exam, I made such stupid mistakes that I would never have made at home or in class :s-smilie:
Reply 576
Hey guys, first post and all.

The close reading for me seemed incredibly tedious, i left out the last question totally as i was running out of time and thought ah screw it and ended up just calling it a day.

The rest of the paper was relatively okay, i can particularly remember a few questions, any of you fancie confirming you were along the same lines?

The athletes took the drugs in order to have a strong chance of competing, and winning the event?

They were proud of the stadium because : it was beautiful, proud as it linked with there greek heritage as greece always heald fierce compitions/events, and the such competing events were part of there culture.

tone of disilusion : didn't have a clue, remember quoting some words and saying 'this shows the athletes have lost touch with what the games are about' bla bla but yeah.

the one question i didn't really know (along with the 4 markers which were shocking) was about how sportmen had to like the olympics? i remember writing if they love sport they feel obliged to love the olympics, and sport gives you qualities which are used in ever day life or some crap.

The essays were a shock, i had learned the Cone Gatherers and The Sentry inside out and neither had good questions. i ended up writing about futility, and managed to fit the theme of Good vs evil i which i knew extensively in, ended up being a solid essay with some pretty in depth analysis for a timed exam, im thinking 17/19.

the second one was shocking, ended up doing 2/3s of an essay though it was okay. - does anyone know how badly this affects the result? would love if it would scrape a 13.

always thought the pass mark for a B was 60-65%, so happy to hear you say its only 54% might have a chance now!

Did you not think question 7 fitted in with The ConeGatherers? I wrote it on that one and about a disturbing mood :smile:
Reply 577
I was going for 5 As as well, but after the disastrous Chemistry exam I doubt thats happening now :frown: a bit annoying, but oh well

Don't worry mate. For an A, you need approximately 64% (64% being highest it has been in the past 3 years).

If you get 35/50 in Close Reading, 34/50 in your essays, and 38/50 in your folio, that is almost 70%...
Anyone got a link to the papers, or is willing to upload them, they will be much appreciated by myself and many! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending