The Student Room Group

S1 May 2012 - Post Exam Thread - Paper and Solutions in the FIRST POST

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Original post by When you see it...
You can - you would've got the same anwer.
That was a terrible way of writing it BTW. Just saying.

alright missy, thats obv not how i wrote it in the exam, but on a keyboard there are a lack of probability symbols and i didnt think 's'no'' looks very clear. so dw :colone:
Original post by raex
alright missy, thats obv not how i wrote it in the exam, but on a keyboard there are a lack of probability symbols and i didnt think 's'no'' looks very clear. so dw :colone:

lol I know but you could've replaced the x with an * and put a gap between the multiplication symbol and the words.
I was obviously referring to how you'd written it in this forum, not in the exam. My point was that people will see how you've written it and think 'scribble' (that's what I thought until I looked a bit closer) and won't help you.
Sorry for trying to help you.
Reply 662
any guess what the grade boundaries will be for an A? I did a stupid mistake. I forgot to square my p value for the Spp calculation and i've realised i've lost 8 marks because of that. *cries* My methods were right, so maybe they will atleast give me 2 marks for the method. Can't believe i screwed up the easiest question ever. Im so mad at myself.
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
Oh god Und this is grim. I may have dropped 6 marks due to misreading a probability as 0.5 instead of 0.05...

i feel ya pain blud... i made the same error. darn it. :s-smilie:
Original post by Zazuwaved
i feel ya pain blud... i made the same error. darn it. :s-smilie:

Arsey thinks we'll only drop 2 marks, but I'm still pissed off about it.
Reply 665
I dont know if this question has been answered before but can't the histogram diagram be symmetrically skewed? It looked like that to me and mean almost was equal to median...
SO.... if our means and median we very similar and said symmetrical skew would we get a mark, or would we get two?

and then if on the next question you said mean because it was symmetrical, how many would you receive?!
Can you be penalized more than once across the whole paper for not quoting to a degree of accuracy? I think I sometimes went to 4/5 decimal places.
Reply 668
Original post by Chippyy
I added and got 62/75.. Please be an A

Lool same just lost them 13marks on the hitogram ****
if you couldnt find the ans to the first histogram question, you couldnt do the rest! it was mega annoyin!!!
Reply 670
For the histogram question i found out the height of each of the bars because they were x2 or x3 or x4 times the smallest height found out that the height of each was 6 and then i got the right answers i hope i don't lose marks for doing it a slightly different way!!!
Reply 671
Original post by soempty
Thank you very much Arsey! Those solutions really help to relax and forget about exam(did really well fortunately, lost 1 mark on stating wrong correlation, and that's the only one i surely failed). Just a quick question, as an answer for which value mean or median they should use i said median,because mean involves extremes from both ends of data. Would i lose a mark for such reasoning?
Possibly yes, I doubt there are really any extreme pieces of data in this data set.
Reply 672
Original post by Prolite
1) 10/102) 6/63) 15/154) 3/95) 7/136) 10/107) 12/1263/75.... lowest i hope... hopefully only lose accuracy marks in histogram/ number 6/number 7 if lose more my marks come down to 55then its going back straight for remarkThanks for negs failures
I would ask for a paper copy first and get your teacher to mark it to see if it worth it. A lot cheaper. I also think the marking has got a lot tighter in recent years.
Reply 673
Original post by Jall777
For the histogram question i found out the height of each of the bars because they were x2 or x3 or x4 times the smallest height found out that the height of each was 6 and then i got the right answers i hope i don't lose marks for doing it a slightly different way!!!
Yeah that will be fine, there really was no need to draw out the table.
Reply 674
Original post by danwestcott
SO.... if our means and median we very similar and said symmetrical skew would we get a mark, or would we get two?and then if on the next question you said mean because it was symmetrical, how many would you receive?!
You ought to get all the marks for saying mean as it is almost symmetrical with no obvious outliers.
Original post by Arsey
You ought to get all the marks for saying mean as it is almost symmetrical with no obvious outliers.

Hi Arsey, many thanks for the solutions post. I've got two really quick questions:

1. If I calculated the mean, plotted it on the graph as x (but drew an arrow pointing it out as the mean point) and then drew the regression line through that point and the origin, would I lose both marks or just one?

2. I said positive skew, and my reason was that looking at the graph it was slightly skewed to the left, would that fetch me the marks?

Cheers :smile:
Reply 676
Original post by Warfare
I dont know if this question has been answered before but can't the histogram diagram be symmetrically skewed? It looked like that to me and mean almost was equal to median...

It will be a follow through question as long as you referred back your answer you will get mark you won't be penalised twice

I hope you wrote mean = median or something to reference back or something similar in words

Original post by Arsey
I would ask for a paper copy first and get your teacher to mark it to see if it worth it. A lot cheaper. I also think the marking has got a lot tighter in recent years.

I am the teacher :tongue: am private candidate tbh I'd rather retake all mechanics modules instead of retaking s1 also if u ask for paper u can't send for remark isn't it
Reply 677
Original post by Prolite
It will be a follow through question as long as you referred back your answer you will get mark you won't be penalised twice

I hope you wrote mean = median or something to reference back or something similar in words

I am the teacher :tongue: am private candidate tbh I'd rather retake all mechanics modules instead of retaking s1 also if u ask for paper u can't send for remark isn't it

The thing is, I lost ALL the other 9 marks in the histogram question. I couldnt figure it out so i just wrote part D and E. I wrote its symmetrically skewed as Mean is nearly equal to median. Then I wrote to use mean as the average speed as it's symmetrical. total guess but i hope i get some marks..
Reply 678
Original post by Warfare
The thing is, I lost ALL the other 9 marks in the histogram question. I couldnt figure it out so i just wrote part D and E. I wrote its symmetrically skewed as Mean is nearly equal to median. Then I wrote to use mean as the average speed as it's symmetrical. total guess but i hope i get some marks..

I got a feeling this time the 80ums boundary will go up from last year lool
Reply 679
Original post by Prolite
I got a feeling this time the 80ums boundary will go up from last year lool

Nightmare. NOOOOO.... i just want those damn 4 marks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending