The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Cycling in built up areas is not only less enjoyable, but also more dangerous and worse exercise as you have to keep stopping and hampering your performance by slowing yourself down for traffic.

Normally I'll look for the quickest way to get out onto some quieter roads. It can be hard to strike the right balance if you don't know the area you're cycling in though - you'll want to avoid really big, busy roads, but at the same time you don't want to be on roads that are poorly maintained. In any case, I'd always favour heading out to somewhere new and risking it being not quite as good as you'd hoped over cycling the same small urban loop over and over. Eventually you'll find a route that suits you.
Back from a nice 40 mile ride around the peak district in the beautiful weather. love it :biggrin:
Original post by Dwayne Hicks
Hello, relatively new to cycling here. Got myself an old mountain bike so i've been trying to make some use of it. Just wondering if anyone on this thread has any advice for a beginner such as a routine to abide or anything important I will make the mistake of missing? Any help is much aprecciated :smile:

Welcome to the thread! :biggrin:
Original post by c471
x

Are there any disused railways-turned-cycle paths near you? One of the most famous is the Bristol to Bath cycle path, and Manchester has the Fallowfield Loop (although the latter is annoyingly scattered with barriers that make you slow down every so often grr)

The Guardian also did a section on Britain's best bike rides lately http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/series/britains-best-bike-rides and you might find it easier to plan routes with the help of a bike map - these are often handed out by local councils, or local cycle quangos (e.g. CycleGM), sometimes distributed for free from bike shops.
Original post by Origami Bullets
Are there any disused railways-turned-cycle paths near you?

Middlewood way is around the corner from me!
Original post by Roobsa
Every stage. So happy Rabottini got that win. 150km solo ride until the final 100 meters. Would have been so cruel if he hadn't won. It looked a brutal stage.

Original post by Irishguy2K10

Yea, watched every stage this year. Good finish by Rabbotini yesterday, thought he had lost it :biggrin:

Such an amazing win for him, could not have deserved it any more.

Original post by Irishguy2K10
I wear plain white socks, not ankle socks though :smile:
Erm, I never see any of my non cyclist mates whilst out training.
I do get the odd ignorant abuse thrown my way whilst on the bike but people are starting to see that cycling is a proper sport since the likes of Mark Cavendish came long :smile:

I ask about socks because I don't know of anyone who uses 'cyclng socks'.
I've never had an issue in the past, and like you I just used my normal white socks. But I was lucky enough to get some Castelli socks from Evans for a quid, and my god they are the best thing I have ever put on my feet! They normally cost £17 though, not a chance in hell Im spending that on one pair of socks :laugh:

Out of interest, do you live in a rural or urban area?
I get the ignorant abuse thrown occasionally while cycling around Manchester, but everyone back home in Wales is fine! And drivers are so much more patient than they are in Manchester.

Im glad cycling is becoming more popular, it deserves to be.
Original post by Chumbaniya
Cycling in built up areas is not only less enjoyable, but also more dangerous and worse exercise as you have to keep stopping and hampering your performance by slowing yourself down for traffic.

Is it only me who gets a cheap thrill from cycling in the city?
Constantly being on my toes keeps the adrenaline flowing which always puts a smile on my face!
And I love them silly little races you sometimes get with other roadies at the lights, always good for a laugh!
If you are new to cycling though, I agree with you.

Granted, not everyone is a nutter like I seem to be.
I do prefer cycling in rural area's though :tongue:

Original post by Dwayne Hicks
Hello, relatively new to cycling here. Got myself an old mountain bike so i've been trying to make some use of it. Just wondering if anyone on this thread has any advice for a beginner such as a routine to abide or anything important I will make the mistake of missing? Any help is much aprecciated :smile:

What Chumbaniya said is pretty much spot on.
No real secret to this cycling lark, just get out there and have fun!

Normally I'll look for the quickest way to get out onto some quieter roads. It can be hard to strike the right balance if you don't know the area you're cycling in though - you'll want to avoid really big, busy roads, but at the same time you don't want to be on roads that are poorly maintained. In any case, I'd always favour heading out to somewhere new and risking it being not quite as good as you'd hoped over cycling the same small urban loop over and over. Eventually you'll find a route that suits you.

Thank you for replies everyone-very helpful.
Original post by lonelykatana
Such an amazing win for him, could not have deserved it any more.

I ask about socks because I don't know of anyone who uses 'cyclng socks'.
I've never had an issue in the past, and like you I just used my normal white socks. But I was lucky enough to get some Castelli socks from Evans for a quid, and my god they are the best thing I have ever put on my feet! They normally cost £17 though, not a chance in hell Im spending that on one pair of socks :laugh:

Out of interest, do you live in a rural or urban area?
I get the ignorant abuse thrown occasionally while cycling around Manchester, but everyone back home in Wales is fine! And drivers are so much more patient than they are in Manchester.

Im glad cycling is becoming more popular, it deserves to be.

My club sells their own socks but I couldn't be bothered spending 5 quid on socks when I have a drawer full of them haha :biggrin: Haha No chance would I be spending that either... £1 is a bargain for Castelli gear.
I live in a rural area... back end of nowhere lol but i prefer it that way for my cycling. You ?
Frig. i would say its hectic in Manchester, is that were you go to uni then ? Ooo, I bet Wales is lethal for cycling. I will be in Glasgow for the next 5 years at uni so hopefully the cycling up there is good.

I am only getting out of my thermal cycling gear this week due to the good weather.... I used it from October to May lol. Still have to invest in a decent winter cycling jersey. Might go for one of those Castelli jerseys.
Are you part of any clubs ? Manchester uni seems to have a good club from what I have heard.
Original post by lonelykatana
Is it only me who gets a cheap thrill from cycling in the city?
Constantly being on my toes keeps the adrenaline flowing which always puts a smile on my face!
And I love them silly little races you sometimes get with other roadies at the lights, always good for a laugh!
If you are new to cycling though, I agree with you.

Granted, not everyone is a nutter like I seem to be.
I do prefer cycling in rural area's though :tongue:

I think it can be fun, but if I'm out for a decent ride I find it's just distracting - if I'm chasing cars away from junctions and all that it means I'm not pacing my session properly.
How sweet would it be to live here :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOQA3gkZKYw

IMO as a commuter I find the busier roads a lot more exciting to cycle along than the quieter roads. It's way more fun to work your way around slow moving traffic then to cycle along a quiet road. :P
I live in the middle of nowhere so I don't have any city cycling experience at all. (seriously, I live right by exmoor, it's perfect for cycling) however I'm moving to Exeter in sept, and while it's not a busy city, it's going to be a lot busier than I'm used to. Any tips?
Reply 4253
on roundabouts pull into the middle of your lane, and keep pace so cars don't feel tempted to overtake. Also, the closer you are to the pavement the closer cars tend to overtake - if you make yourself an obstacle then cars change there line, but if your hugging the curb then they whizz straight past without altering there line (and closer to you). Make eye contact with all cars pulling out and always be prepared to have to manouvre/stop. People trying to cross the road are possibly the worst thing, if they haven't seen you then expect them to step out infront of you (because they can't hear you). Basically just be aware of whats going on, if you get run over it's not so bad. As a cyclist you can see everything, there are no blind spots. Also slow is not safe. Slow annoys drivers. Drivers hate slow. Some drivers are peverse, but not many.
Original post by jj193
on roundabouts pull into the middle of your lane, and keep pace so cars don't feel tempted to overtake. Also, the closer you are to the pavement the closer cars tend to overtake - if you make yourself an obstacle then cars change there line, but if your hugging the curb then they whizz straight past without altering there line (and closer to you). Make eye contact with all cars pulling out and always be prepared to have to manouvre/stop. People trying to cross the road are possibly the worst thing, if they haven't seen you then expect them to step out infront of you (because they can't hear you). Basically just be aware of whats going on, if you get run over it's not so bad. As a cyclist you can see everything, there are no blind spots. Also slow is not safe. Slow annoys drivers. Drivers hate slow. Some drivers are peverse, but not many.

Thank you :smile: really appreciate this
Original post by jj193
if you get run over it's not so bad.

:lolwut:
Reply 4256
Original post by jj193

I agree with everything except the part in bold. If someone isn't confident on the road, would you tell them to go great guns constantly? Because I sure as hell wouldn't. Slow might annoy drivers but slow gives the cyclist more time to think, and possibly more importantly, gives the cyclist a much shorter stopping distance incase of an emergency. Going slow or fast isn't going to change the unlucky, random situation of being victim to a driver with road rage/hate for cyclists.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4257
Air bags for cyclists heads have been developed: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/video/2012/may/22/airbag-bicycle-helmet-video Interesting concept. Would like to see some more science and tests of them. Not sure they would be as useful when dirt jumping or on downhill. Likely to be useful on the road though.
Hey guys (: Haven't been on in aaagggeeesss :')

Currently cycling 4 miles across Oxford every morning to get to my exams... I dunno what's harder: Hills in the countryside, or commuting! hehe :tongue:
Reply 4259
Harder? I think commuting by bike trumps Hills because it kills 3 birds with one stone:
Riding
Saving the planet
and finally.. you geussed it - commuting

Cav4sprintfinishtommorow

Latest