The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shengis14
My tip is, if you get a first year called Farah doing your tour after the interview, tell her to stop stabbing people in the DR

Haha. Never trust a Scot Glaswegian with anything sharp a scalpel.
Reply 261
*Rejection from A100 Medicine course today*
A Level ACHIEVED: A*A*A* (Bio, chem, maths) + b at AS Physics
GCSEs: 4A*s 1A 3Dist*s
UKCAT: 740 Band 2

Absolutely gob-smacked....

ANYONE KNOW WHY I WAS REJECTED? Considering my application is very strong?...

HELP NEEDED!

Thanks
Reply 262
Aw man, sorry to hear :frown:
It was probably your PS..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by waheed786

HELP NEEDED!

Thanks

My first thought was 'GCSEs', but ask for feedback (you need to ask for it in writing).
Reply 264
Original post by TattyBoJangles
My first thought was 'GCSEs', but ask for feedback (you need to ask for it in writing).

Do you know how I may go about doing this?
I thought it was GCSEs too, but I thoroughly scrutinised my application before applying and swayed towards applying due to academics making up 50% of application and therefore the guarantee that St Andrews would consider my academics as a whole, i.e: GCSEs, AS/ A-Level ACHIEVED, surely they wouldn't outright reject me PRE-INTERVIEW?
Do you know how I may go about doing this?
I thought it was GCSEs too, but I thoroughly scrutinised my application before applying and swayed towards applying due to academics making up 50% of application and therefore the guarantee that St Andrews would consider my academics as a whole, i.e: GCSEs, AS/ A-Level ACHIEVED, surely they wouldn't outright reject me PRE-INTERVIEW?

They state you need 8 A*/A at GCSE to be competitive and, being pedantic, you have 5. As academics do make up 50%, missing out on one of the criteria may have been it.

Send the admissions office and email requesting feedback and, if I remember correctly, they'll tell you to send a letter and give you an address / who to send it to.
Reply 266

HELP NEEDED!

Thanks

I think it must have been academics and personal statement. As others have said it must have been GCSE's and the B in physics may also have been a factor. Hope you get interviews elsewhere :h:
Reply 267
They state you need 8 A*/A at GCSE to be competitive and, being pedantic, you have 5. As academics do make up 50%, missing out on one of the criteria may have been it.

Send the admissions office and email requesting feedback and, if I remember correctly, they'll tell you to send a letter and give you an address / who to send it to.

I was kind of in some false hope that my Btecs for which I was awarded 3Dist*s would be considered but I guess they weren't in hindsight...

Having said thatm I do believe my ACHIEVED overall A-level score of 3A*s would have been worth something atleast.. I applied to St A as it was my 'safe choice', I know, ridiculous right?
My UKCAT was quite good (emphasis on 'quite'- since everyone on tsr seem to have above 700ish..) nevertheless, I'm sure it is higher than global average for St A...
+ my reference was impeccable and my ps was really good too ( had it checked by no less than a dozen people inc. doctors/ medics, camb/oxford UG,etc... it seemed pretty sound so I don't beleive it was from PS..
SERIOUSLY SO CONFUSED...
Reply 268
Original post by -Neuro-
I think it must have been academics and personal statement. As others have said it must have been GCSE's and the B in physics may also have been a factor. Hope you get interviews elsewhere :h:

My PS was really good (read above reply), and I don't think physics b (at AS) is even part of the criteria because, as per the website; they are only looking for AAA (competitive standard A*AA)- no mention of 4th AS whatsoever so I don't think it was the reason by any standards...

I think it was GCSEs although I would've thought 5A*/As at GCSE wouldn't be that far from being 'competitive' considering other parts of my application were really strong.

*RIDICULOUS*
Had my interview on Friday. They were lovely, but I seriously messed up one of the questions. Do you think that'll wreck my chances? So gutted as it was my first choice and I know I had so much more to give. Was so well prepared but the words came out my mouth before I could stop them! Aghh, actually want to cry. Would love some reassurance as I can't focus on any of my work with this hanging over me! :frown:
Reply 270
Original post by peanutbutter18
Had my interview on Friday. They were lovely, but I seriously messed up one of the questions. Do you think that'll wreck my chances? So gutted as it was my first choice and I know I had so much more to give. Was so well prepared but the words came out my mouth before I could stop them! Aghh, actually want to cry. Would love some reassurance as I can't focus on any of my work with this hanging over me! :frown:

When was your interview? I had mine on friday as well. I didn't mess up any specific question but I think I was pretty mediocre in all of them.
Original post by Herisson
When was your interview? I had mine on friday as well. I didn't mess up any specific question but I think I was pretty mediocre in all of them.

3pm, I'm sure you did better than you think
Reply 272
3pm, I'm sure you did better than you think

Hey, I'm supposed to be the one encouraging you :tongue:
I think pretty much everyone feels crap after an interview. All the people with me in the group certainly did. What was the mistake? I'm sure you'll be fine too.
Reply 273
Anyone here get interviewed for St Andrews on friday 6th December at 2pm? how'd you find it? the interviewers were super nice for me
I thought it went ok but in the words of Ckuck Berry, 'You Never Can Tell'.

I think they will appreciate how nervous you were and if you just messed up 1 question it shouldn't, matter to much during the rest if the interview you came across well. Everybody can make a mistake. I wouldn't worry to much about it as there is nothing you can do now. What's more important is how you react. As a doctor you need to be able I deal with difficult experiences and cope with them so don,t give up hope and concentrate on getting the grades you need for the offer when it comes through .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Herisson
Hey, I'm supposed to be the one encouraging you :tongue:
I think pretty much everyone feels crap after an interview. All the people with me in the group certainly did. What was the mistake? I'm sure you'll be fine too.

Original post by Anthropicentity
I think they will appreciate how nervous you were and if you just messed up 1 question it shouldn't, matter to much during the rest if the interview you came across well. Everybody can make a mistake. I wouldn't worry to much about it as there is nothing you can do now. What's more important is how you react. As a doctor you need to be able I deal with difficult experiences and cope with them so don,t give up hope and concentrate on getting the grades you need for the offer when it comes through .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks guys, that was exactly what I need to hear :tongue: :wink: :redface:
Reply 276
I haven't heard ANYTHING from them yet :/
When are we meant to hear by?
Original post by tillyboa
I haven't heard ANYTHING from them yet :/
When are we meant to hear by?

Interviews run until March and as there have only been two interview dates thus far, most people who are going to be interviewed haven't yet heard.
Reply 278
any int'ls got interview offers yet?
Reply 279
Interviews run until March and as there have only been two interview dates thus far, most people who are going to be interviewed haven't yet heard.

phew, thanks! I hate playing this waiting game especially with no idea of how long each university normally waits before calling interviews etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending