The Student Room Group

Student Finance 2016 / 17 FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tiger Rag
You get funding for all years

School is full time education. But it's different if you came over here at 18 went to college for 3 years and applied for uni at 21, rather than your parents came over here for work when you were a child, which you obviously had no say in.

Thanks for the reply.
Worried though how will SLC interpret it. As in the application for "why were you there" I put in "school" or something similar
Reply 221
You get funding for all years

School is full time education. But it's different if you came over here at 18 went to college for 3 years and applied for uni at 21, rather than your parents came over here for work when you were a child, which you obviously had no say in.

So how you reckon they will classify someone coming here at age of 21 from other EU country, living on his own from the very beginning and working full time for the first 2 years before going to college for another 2 while still working part time, renting a flat, paying my bills etc before going to Uni after nearly 4 years of continously living in Scotland with the intention for coming here being to stay permanentny?
Guys, do I have to do anything more than register for student fiance via the government website. I.E. do I need to visit a local banking branch or something?
Original post by blondelocks
Guys, do I have to do anything more than register for student fiance via the government website. I.E. do I need to visit a local banking branch or something?

Assuming you already have a bank account, no. You also either need to send passport details or fill in and get signed, a birth certificate form.
Original post by jacas
So how you reckon they will classify someone coming here at age of 21 from other EU country, living on his own from the very beginning and working full time for the first 2 years before going to college for another 2 while still working part time, renting a flat, paying my bills etc before going to Uni after nearly 4 years of continously living in Scotland with the intention for coming here being to stay permanentny?

That sounds like "5: Non-UK EEA and Swiss workers, and family" (ie migrant worker) to me: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/Government-Student-Support#layer-3945
Reply 225
Original post by PQ
That sounds like "5: Non-UK EEA and Swiss workers, and family" (ie migrant worker) to me: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/Government-Student-Support#layer-3945

Thank you for feedback. I had a look at all the options under the link you provided and in fact the third one: "Non-UK EU nationals living in the UK and Islands, and family" looks even more accurate since as far as I'm concerned to classify as a migrant worker you need to work in the sector related to your studies, whereas requirements under 3.Non-UK EU nationals specify that if any period of your residence in UK was for education purposes you will still classify as long as you lived in the EEA for at least 3 years prior to your move to the UK which is the case with me. Here's just hoping they won't change much due to Brexit for 17/18 session.
Cheers anyway
(edited 7 years ago)
Assuming you already have a bank account, no. You also either need to send passport details or fill in and get signed, a birth certificate form.

Is there a link you could provide me with which explains this in detail? Thanks
Reply 227
Hey everyone, i think im in trouble, need help!

I just submitted and sent my application a week ago. My enrolmment is 2.5 weeks and they may ask me about my tuition fee. i cant pay them if student finance is not approved yet. will this affect my unconditional offer? or can i pay my tuition fee later?

edit: uni im enrolling is london southbank university, on its website they say to pay at enrollment or 1st to 4th instalment which i dont really understand.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 228
Original post by Zero76

I just submitted and sent my application a week ago. My enrolmment is 2.5 weeks and they may ask me about my tuition fee. i cant pay them if student finance is not approved yet. will this affect my unconditional offer? or can i pay my tuition fee later?

edit: uni im enrolling is london southbank university, on its website they say to pay at enrollment or 1st to 4th instalment which i dont really understand.

University's are understanding about Student finance being late and all. Just make sure you let them know in advance.
I took a Certificate to Higher education course and took a student loan for it in 2015 took a break in Studies during my second term and am now going back to the course in October however, I am restarting the course so had to apply for another loan
This is a cert in higher education not my degree course and so I am just wondering will I be eligible for student finance for my degree course or not and if so how many years of funding will I be allowed?
Hey! This is probably a dumb question but I upgraded my bank account after I had entered my previous bank details onto student finance. The sort code and account number are the same as the ones I entered onto student finance so do I need to update my bank details or were they the only ones that student finance took? Many thanks
Original post by kelseysd
Hey! This is probably a dumb question but I upgraded my bank account after I had entered my previous bank details onto student finance. The sort code and account number are the same as the ones I entered onto student finance so do I need to update my bank details or were they the only ones that student finance took? Many thanks

If everything's still the same, you don't need to do anything.
If everything's still the same, you don't need to do anything.

My long card number, expiry and start date and security number is all changed, so will I have to update all of the details?
Original post by kelseysd
My long card number, expiry and start date and security number is all changed, so will I have to update all of the details?

They don't need those details.
They don't need those details.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Zero76

Hey, can you update us with your status? Did you find out anything new about your situation ?
Something similar here, I forgot to send the declaration form because I had already filled it in online and thought that I don't have to mail it...I am kind of concerned whether they will approve my application till next week at the enrolment.
If not ?....
Hi, I'm a student in upper sixth in London. I've applied for, and intend to firm, a course in London but I don't know how I'm supposed to apply for the maintenance loans. I want to try living on campus for the first year, but, what would happen if wanted to stay at home for the second onward? Would my loan change or would I still receive the larger loan meant for those living without their parents? For now, would I be able to select the option to study on campus? Any replies will be very much appreciated, thx!
Original post by FrustratedHorse
Hi, I'm a student in upper sixth in London. I've applied for, and intend to firm, a course in London but I don't know how I'm supposed to apply for the maintenance loans. I want to try living on campus for the first year, but, what would happen if wanted to stay at home for the second onward? Would my loan change or would I still receive the larger loan meant for those living without their parents? For now, would I be able to select the option to study on campus? Any replies will be very much appreciated, thx!

You apply each year for finance. If you change your living arrangements between years that's a standard part of your application.
really important question!
so i'm in uni currently, first year started in sept 2016 but i'm moving uni's (re-doing first year) so my question is will i be affected by the changes? thanks
Original post by PQ
You apply each year for finance. If you change your living arrangements between years that's a standard part of your application.

HELPPP
Ok so for my firm choice i would not have to move away which means i wouldnt need maintenance loan but my insurance choice would require me to move away, that would mean i would need maintenance loan plus extra main.. loan. Does that mean i have to apply for all 3? Even though i may not need it if i end up with my firm? And would that also mean for the first year i have to pay it back?
Again even if its not needed? Is there a chance i can cancel it after results day?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending