The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kga123
Hi, Did you get through to interview for Sheffield and then told unsuccessful OR have you just been told unsuccessful without interview?......Good luck with the Northampton interview by the way :-)

I've been told im unsuccesful without interview !
Wasn't expecting one form Sheffield tbh :/
Thank you ! I'm really nervous x
Original post by jooooshie

Sorry to edit - Also regarding "bag monkeys", this is definitely not the case, London has a population of 9 million (I think?) and there's only 2 HART teams, you see your fair share of medical emergencies and trauma and you do put advanced skills into practice on a regular basis. It's been said 1 year in London is equivalent to 3 years else where, I know a fair amount of newly qualified paramedics who were students in London that have been snapped up by other services, SWAST included.

Also, to single out LAS as recieving a lot of less serious calls, yes this maybe correct like any other ambulance service does. However being a paramedic isn't just about trauma and medical emergencies, there's a massive social side as well. There really is no such thing as a rubbish call.

2 full HART teams - the point being that HART can work with any size of 'team' between from 2 -4 personnel upwards to the full 3 ring circus ... why do you think they have RRVs and the Nissan 'recce' vehicles as well as the HART tenders and Command support vehicles ? ( chemical incidents, house fires, RTCs especially if it's anything other that car vs caer / cycle / ped , all stuff that HART recce resources are sent to )

' one year in London is equivalent to three years anywhere else' - same old same old from the BWTS massiv ...

as for services snapping people up there is and remains a relative shortage of paramedics, moving between NHS services is extremely easy at present and i suspect will remain so until all the services have their HE pathways fully in place and have achieved their desired staff skill mix ( i.e. eliminated technicians from being lead clinician or working on RRVs - as band 5 'Technician With Advanced Training' ( TSR bleeps the approved abbreviation ) personnel are not cost effective in the long term and their appointment has been political rather than clinical ) .
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1802
Original post by BrookeGillian

I've been told im unsuccesful without interview !
Wasn't expecting one form Sheffield tbh :/
Thank you ! I'm really nervous x

It's very nerve racking, especially when you want something so bad. I was so nervous when i went to the selection day at Sheffield Hallam and it was very intense. Ive a friend whos had interviews at all 5 choices and they said Sheffield Hallam was the toughest. Be yourself and show them your passion, thats the only advice i can give you :-)
Reply 1803
Got an unsuccesful from Sheffield !
Not that gutted tbh, just gotta make sure this Northampton interview works out
Fingers crossed ! :smile:
x

sorry about Sheffield. How did you find out? UCAS?
Reply 1804
x

I also got rejected from SHU even though I had an interview last year!
Don't worry about Northampton! Very relaxed interview! Had mine their in November! If anything it's one of best in my opinion! Good luck there!
Reply 1805
x

i also got an unsuccessful from sheffield today!! not that bothered either, was my last choice anyway! still waiting to hear from the other 4 though... such a long wait!! good luck at Northampton!!!! :smile: :biggrin:
Reply 1806
Hi Everyone.

Hope your all OK - I'm not good - CONSTANTLY checking emails, Ucas, here, everything!!!

I have applied to Liverpool, Cov, UWE - has any one had replies from these post interview or have an idea of when they stop interviewing - I'm desperate to find out and I'm sure you all are too. It's just so hard isn't it?!

PS - Justin - good luck for your interview at UWE tomor :smile: xxx
Reply 1807
Original post by elchilds
Hi Everyone.

Hope your all OK - I'm not good - CONSTANTLY checking emails, Ucas, here, everything!!!

I have applied to Liverpool, Cov, UWE - has any one had replies from these post interview or have an idea of when they stop interviewing - I'm desperate to find out and I'm sure you all are too. It's just so hard isn't it?!

PS - Justin - good luck for your interview at UWE tomor :smile: xxx

I have also had an interview at Coventry, and was told we'd know within a couple of weeks of being interviewed. It's been 1 week, 1 day since mine. EKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.
Anybody heard anything from Bournemouth?? I'm sure only one person has mentioned applying there.
Reply 1809
Original post by hhh123
I have also had an interview at Coventry, and was told we'd know within a couple of weeks of being interviewed. It's been 1 week, 1 day since mine. EKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

Surely won't be that long now!!! Checking UCAS Every hour or so now! It's been 1 week 2 days since mine! I've had to wait an extra day longer then you! :tongue:
Reply 1810
Original post by f0rbesy
Surely won't be that long now!!! Checking UCAS Every hour or so now! It's been 1 week 2 days since mine! I've had to wait an extra day longer then you! :tongue:

Lol yeah tell me about it.
My e-mail is constantly on my screen and I am constantly refreshing it. GR
Original post by katethegiff
Completely Agree with this, ive been on placement a few times since being a student and i've seen a massive variety of calls, if you ask anyone (unless they are completely biased) and they say that being with the LAS for one year is like being with any other trust for 3. You see the most diverse people from different ethnicities, different background and in different situations! You will do exactly the same with a patient that takes 10 minutes to convey than if they took 30 minutes to convey, all that you will do more in the latter is re-assess the patient. Surely in order for your patient (if life threatening) to have the best possibly chance at survival you would want there distance to hospital to be shorter?

Can't highlight it but if you think all you would do by having a longer transfer is re-assess obs then you are sadly very mistaken and would have a massive shock if you went somewhere with a decent transfer time. And yes the best place for this patient is at hospital but come out of London and that hospital can be an hours drive away, you have to keep that patient alive for an hour whilst you get them to hospital and often in a more rural location there is no-one else round to help. You want a challenge of your skills then that is it!

And you see diverse ethnicities/cultures/situations everywhere. It's not special to London!

Seems a very LAS attitude which isn't a very good one.
Original post by ChannyBee
Anybody heard anything from Bournemouth?? I'm sure only one person has mentioned applying there.

I had an interview with Bournemouth 18th Jan, think they said that they had about 800 apply so far but that didnt include the ones that came in after Christmas. Dont know how many they are interviewing but as you said not many people mentioning them so guess they havent dne many interview days yet.
Original post by lifesdreamer
I had an interview with Bournemouth 18th Jan, think they said that they had about 800 apply so far but that didnt include the ones that came in after Christmas. Dont know how many they are interviewing but as you said not many people mentioning them so guess they havent dne many interview days yet.

I had my interview day about 3 weeks ago & was given the impression not many made it through to interview. I asked how many more interview days they were holding and was told 'no more' by a module teacher.
Whether they told me this to put me at ease i'l never know! If you hear anything will you let me know :smile:
Reply 1814
Original post by hhh123
Lol yeah tell me about it.
My e-mail is constantly on my screen and I am constantly refreshing it. GR

I have got the UCAS track app for my iPhone. Saves ally of time logging in all of the time!!!

Sad I know! Xx
Reply 1815
Original post by elchilds
I have got the UCAS track app for my iPhone. Saves ally of time logging in all of the time!!!

Sad I know! Xx

Ditto!
Original post by ChannyBee
I had my interview day about 3 weeks ago & was given the impression not many made it through to interview. I asked how many more interview days they were holding and was told 'no more' by a module teacher.
Whether they told me this to put me at ease i'l never know! If you hear anything will you let me know :smile:

Will def let you know. I was toled we wouldnt find out anything till late march, early april but if they have done all the interviews then hopefully we will hear something sooner. :smile:
Reply 1817
Heyyy,

Has anyone else got an invitation for the fitness test and interview for edge hill?
Reply 1818
Original post by HelenaJ
Heyyy,

Has anyone else got an invitation for the fitness test and interview for edge hill?

Yep I have :smile:
Original post by HelenaJ
Heyyy,

Yea iv got an interview/fitness test on the 28th..

Latest