The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Probably not, but I'd rather be in a department with significant foreign postings than one with none, even if I'm unlikely to get posted to them :smile:
Reply 1861
Original post by ellie_flower
Not certain that fast streamers are really involved in the border control agency or serious organised crime abroad!! Its a shame, but it does make me think as a GFS there really arent many opportuities for a global posting..

http://faststream.civilservice.gov.uk/Fast-Streamer-Profiles/Nilesh-Parekh/

admittedly its still in London... but it does seem there's a chance FS people do border control.

more generally, I reckon if you consistently show engagement and interest for international aspects of whichever dept you get, you'll be putting yourself in a good position for any foreign posting that does eventually come up.
Original post by lm222

http://faststream.civilservice.gov.uk/Fast-Streamer-Profiles/Nilesh-Parekh/

admittedly its still in London... but it does seem there's a chance FS people do border control.

more generally, I reckon if you consistently show engagement and interest for international aspects of whichever dept you get, you'll be putting yourself in a good position for any foreign posting that does eventually come up.

In relation to starting date. I emailed as I was thinking of taking a holiday in June and was told it would be late summer. That is for the northern Ireland scheme but I'm sure they would be able to answer the same query for other schemes.
Original post by F6053721
Not sure on this. I'd try emailing them and asking maybe. I know most employers tend to honour holidays already booked when you start cos I've always been asked if I have any booked so they can sort time off. But not sure about start date.

I'd be interested to know though cos I'm thinking of leaving my current job and going away for the summer before starting if I can.

Moonberry
In relation to starting date. I emailed as I was thinking of taking a holiday in June and was told it would be late summer. That is for the northern Ireland scheme but I'm sure they would be able to answer the same query for other schemes.

Thanks both of you - will email them. I'm hopefully heading off to Australia for a couple of months but it looks like I would only be back in the UK mid October so I hope that's ok.
Wonder if there will be any news today???
Original post by lm222

Definitely :smile: Having read a lot of Prince Rhyus' posts he's talked a lot about moving sideways. As popular as the FCO is within the fast stream itself, there must be a lot of people who move departments and/or stay in whitehall based jobs due to family commitments. I think if you are flexible and show commitment/capability to be productive in an international setting, you stand a good chance of moving across permanently or on secondment. It's just something to consider for those of you that would like posting abroad, it's always a good idea to put your eggs in a few baskets :smile:

Actually just a thought, with the UKBA and the UK Border Force separating, it could be a really good time to go in to that area. A lot of infrastructure and policy to set up, probably paired with a lot of opportunities if you do a good job, I would have thought.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1867
Anybody home?
Reply 1868
From time to time. It seems this week I've actually got papers to submit so shouldn't be wasting too much time on this. Evidza was it your FSAC yesterday? If so, how was it?
Original post by Chiryu
Long time lurker here!

I applied last year and got immediately rejected due to the online skills tests (mmm, ranked in the *bottom* 4% for the competency section, I didn't realise it was a test!).

This year: Re-applied on the 30th November, completed e-Tray the week before Christmas (immediately successful) and FSAC on 13th Feb. Through to TiB FSB with 18.39 (rejected from CD at the first stage as with last year, almost certainly due to my competency section again). Lowest competencies 2.88, highest 3.25.

I must say that I've really enjoyed the process so far - the e-Tray and FSAC were both very engaging and stimulating activities! I really enjoyed the Briefing exercise, and was less comfortable with the second policy rec exercise (mismanaged my time with the reading, rookie mistake!).

Echoing what others have said, the FSAC report is really useful; in-depth and with good identification of your strengths and weaknesses.

(Oh, and in terms of age, I'm pretty much the same age as Stomm :smile: )

Good luck to those still awaiting results (and to those with FSBs), and to those that were unsuccessful, unlucky - but just like with the driving test, failing once can be so much of a learning experience that the second time round the odds are that you'll probably fare better :smile:

am i reading this right? you were rejected for central departments this year with a score of 18.39? if so, that seems like a very high fail mark for CD based on previous year's information on this forum...

anyone else willing to share scores to start working out where the lines sit?

i'd also love to know if anyone else (like moonberry) has been told if they have been successful or unsuccessful for the NI fast stream?

cheers
Reply 1870
Original post by jonbar123
am i reading this right? you were rejected for central departments this year with a score of 18.39?

Not quite; I was rejected from CD on the online tests, so they don't look at my FSAC score (which I got to on the basis of TiB).

I'm sure that a score of 18.39 would have been fine for CD, if I hadn't been booted out of the running for it so early on.
Reply 1871
Hi lm222,

Yes, I too have passed through the crucible. :biggrin: It was not the worst experience, but knowing that one had to be at the top of one's game made for some stress. My interviewer was not too bad, lots of probing questions around the 2 competencies were asked, and I found the briefing exercise more enjoyable when I was responding to challenges than when I was presenting.

Expenses updated, AR. Hope I am successful. And I hope the guy who flew in from China is, too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Chiryu
Not quite; I was rejected from CD on the online tests, so they don't look at my FSAC score (which I got to on the basis of TiB).

I'm sure that a score of 18.39 would have been fine for CD, if I hadn't been booted out of the running for it so early on.

ah..get you - yes id have been sure it would have gotten you through to CD easily.

...still really keen to hear if there is anyone else who has been informed they've been either successful or unsuccessful for the NI scheme. would be great to know if they have done any sort of cut for it yet...crawl out of the woodwork NI applicants..
I thought it might be helpful to point out a few things about foreign postings. Obviously, the best way to get them is to get either FCO (which is of course a semi-separate scheme) or DfiD (which isn't but is very popular and only takes a small amount of fast streamers). Plus of course, if you're happy with Brussels as a foreign posting, getting on the European fast stream guarantees you six months out there with the potential for a permanent job if you past the EU's own tests (very difficult according to most people).

Beyond these three, I don't believe that any other department is better or worse for getting a foreign posting. What you need to bear in mind however is that once you're in, there's a Civil Service jobs website which advertises both one year secondments and occasionally, permanent transfers and a good number of these tend to be foreign postings. It's worth pointing out however that we're talking more Afghanistan and South Sudan (both places that people from my own department of DfT have recently got sent, via the FCO and DfiD respectively) than anywhere glamorous. As far as I can tell, there just aren't enough people wanting to do the dangerous postings so they open them out.

There are also sometimes year long policy roles advertised on the same site for those two departments. Once you've got a foot in the door, then whilst you'll have to battle your home department's HR to to not be dragged back at the end of the year, with a bit of networking you ought to be relatively able to stay there and maybe move into a foreign role. Weirdly, the special, better than anything else status that the FCO holds within the fast stream assessment process seems to disappear into thin air and it's no more easy or difficult to get a secondment there than it is anywhere else.

You can also apply to do the same six months in Brussels thing that European Fast Streamers can if you're central departments.

There are also some sort of reciprocal schemes, where, if you've got the language skills, you can spend a few months working at the equivalent department to yours in another country eg. I could go to the Italian transport ministry. I'm not aware of anyone who has done this recently, but I'm planning to look into it for my own interests and if I find anything else out I'll let you know.

Finally, I'm aware of a few people who've managed to get year long secondments working for the UN, in one case in New York, in another out in the field somewhere, but unfortunately can't tell you any more about that.

In summary then, if you don't pass for FCO and aren't lucky enough to get DfiD, don't stress about what other department would be best for foreign postings, and don't decide not to take a job offer. Just take a role wherever you're posted and then keep an eye out for the sort of opportunities discussed above.
Original post by seraphina
I thought it might be helpful to point out a few things about foreign postings. Obviously, the best way to get them is to get either FCO (which is of course a semi-separate scheme) or DfiD (which isn't but is very popular and only takes a small amount of fast streamers). Plus of course, if you're happy with Brussels as a foreign posting, getting on the European fast stream guarantees you six months out there with the potential for a permanent job if you past the EU's own tests (very difficult according to most people).

Beyond these three, I don't believe that any other department is better or worse for getting a foreign posting. What you need to bear in mind however is that once you're in, there's a Civil Service jobs website which advertises both one year secondments and occasionally, permanent transfers and a good number of these tend to be foreign postings. It's worth pointing out however that we're talking more Afghanistan and South Sudan (both places that people from my own department of DfT have recently got sent, via the FCO and DfiD respectively) than anywhere glamorous. As far as I can tell, there just aren't enough people wanting to do the dangerous postings so they open them out.

There are also sometimes year long policy roles advertised on the same site for those two departments. Once you've got a foot in the door, then whilst you'll have to battle your home department's HR to to not be dragged back at the end of the year, with a bit of networking you ought to be relatively able to stay there and maybe move into a foreign role. Weirdly, the special, better than anything else status that the FCO holds within the fast stream assessment process seems to disappear into thin air and it's no more easy or difficult to get a secondment there than it is anywhere else.

You can also apply to do the same six months in Brussels thing that European Fast Streamers can if you're central departments.

There are also some sort of reciprocal schemes, where, if you've got the language skills, you can spend a few months working at the equivalent department to yours in another country eg. I could go to the Italian transport ministry. I'm not aware of anyone who has done this recently, but I'm planning to look into it for my own interests and if I find anything else out I'll let you know.

Finally, I'm aware of a few people who've managed to get year long secondments working for the UN, in one case in New York, in another out in the field somewhere, but unfortunately can't tell you any more about that.

In summary then, if you don't pass for FCO and aren't lucky enough to get DfiD, don't stress about what other department would be best for foreign postings, and don't decide not to take a job offer. Just take a role wherever you're posted and then keep an eye out for the sort of opportunities discussed above.

This was unbelievably useful. Thanks so much for this post. Its great to know that with language skills theres a chance to move around a little.

And Afgahnistan/South Sudan are the sort of places I would like to work, so that's perfect.

Thanks so much for all your advice!
I have a wife and two children, so as much as I would like to, I doubt I could take a overseas posting. Doesn't stop me thinking about it though :biggrin:
Original post by richardp2020
I have a wife and two children, so as much as I would like to, I doubt I could take a overseas posting. Doesn't stop me thinking about it though :biggrin:

As the daughter of a diplomat, I can say that moving around the world was probably the best thing to happen to me. Nothing like it for creating an independent, adaptable and broad minded person :smile:
Original post by jonbar123

...still really keen to hear if there is anyone else who has been informed they've been either successful or unsuccessful for the NI scheme. would be great to know if they have done any sort of cut for it yet...crawl out of the woodwork NI applicants..

Hi! I'm still waiting on the NI Stream! Think there is another person on here still waiting too!

Im usually on here one a day or so but was away this weekend for St. Paddys day so haven't been on here till now!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1878
I'm still waiting to hear from the NI Stream too.

I have been under the impression that no news is good news, but looking through the posts I've not heard of anyone being unsuccessful yet so are they just leaving everyone hanging on until the last assessment centres have taken place...?
Original post by Steve_J
I'm still waiting to hear from the NI Stream too.

I have been under the impression that no news is good news, but looking through the posts I've not heard of anyone being unsuccessful yet so are they just leaving everyone hanging on until the last assessment centres have taken place...?

I haven't heard about anyone being unsuccessful yet either but anytime I have contacted the fast stream they have said that the NI stream will most likely not hear anything until the FSAC is all over at the end of the month.

No idea how many people got to the FSAC for the NI Stream but I know there are only 5 places which is really low compared to the other streams.

Quick Reply

Latest