The Student Room Group

Snooker

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Going to pop to the shop and get a few beers in for the next session of Hendry's match, played horribly earlier but hoping he gets a couple of early frames!
Trump is a great player, but his attitude needs to improve. Ali Carter critisiced him for not apologising when hitting a fluke and Neil Robertson had a go at him and his supporters. I have nothing against Trump but for him to be considered a great player in the future he needs to improve his attitude.
Original post by shyamshah
Trump is a great player, but his attitude needs to improve. Ali Carter critisiced him for not apologising when hitting a fluke and Neil Robertson had a go at him and his supporters. I have nothing against Trump but for him to be considered a great player in the future he needs to improve his attitude.

To be honest, I don't think Carter's attitude in the game and his comments after were particularly gracious. I also don't think his attitude will affect that too much, Ronnie has the worst attitude I've ever seen in snooker.

I dunno. His attitude doesnt seem bad enough to get him on the wrong side of john parrots golfing clique. I kinda like him as he is. O'sullivan, ebdon/murphy/robertson etc etc type niggles make it more entertaining.
Original post by little_wizard123
To be honest, I don't think Carter's attitude in the game and his comments after were particularly gracious. I also don't think his attitude will affect that too much, Ronnie has the worst attitude I've ever seen in snooker.

Quentin Hann wasnt far off.

I recall he arrived at the qualifiers of the 2000 World Championship in Newport with a pair of grey combat trousers, which did not conform to the WPBSA’s dress code.

He was informed that unless he bought a pair of proper trousers he would be scratched from the tournament.

Quinten went to a nearby Marks and Spencers and bought a pair of black trousers. He played in them with the labels still attached before giving them to a girl he had met to return and get his money back.

http://snookerscene.blogspot.co.uk/2008/11/quinten-hann-wasted-talent.html
Reply 85
One thing I remember about Hann was when he decided to do the break shot, POOL STYLE! But, his attitude has put paid to his career. Neil Robertson, definitely the best Aussie to talk about in regards to Snooker.

RE: Trump. Only thing I dislike about him is him trying to brand his game as "naughty snooker" when from the outset to me, it just sounds like a guy at times, playing a hit and hope shot, goes in and he soaks the adulation from the crowd. Not naughty snooker at all. Pretty sure Jimmy White was doing what he is doing years back. When he flukes, he should put his hand up.
Original post by little_wizard123

Yeah that is true, but when Ronnie plays a fluke shot i'm sure he puts his hand up to apologise. I know I am criticising Trump over the small things but he must be the only person in the game to not do that.
Original post by Aky786UK
One thing I remember about Hann was when he decided to do the break shot, POOL STYLE! But, his attitude has put paid to his career. Neil Robertson, definitely the best Aussie to talk about in regards to Snooker.

Would've been cool if he'd stayed in the game. Him and ronnie couldve started their own idiotic behavior clique. The alex higgins memorial annoying the john parrot clique clique.
Reply 88
Ali Carter critisiced him for not apologising when hitting a fluke

I don't think you should have to, it happens now and again and you didn't intend it so why on earth would you apologise for it?
Original post by Idle
I don't think you should have to, it happens now and again and you didn't intend it so why on earth would you apologise for it?

I dont know but its always and will always be part of the game. I remember watching Matthew Stevens yesterday and he did two flukes and apologised straight away and then went on to win the frame and match.
Reply 90
I dont know but its always and will always be part of the game. I remember watching Matthew Stevens yesterday and he did two flukes and apologised straight away and then went on to win the frame and match.

It just seems a bit of a farce apologising when deep down you are glad it went in, if someone was genuinely sorry they would play the next shot as a safety to discontinue the break to make it fair?
Original post by Idle
It just seems a bit of a farce apologising when deep down you are glad it went in, if someone was genuinely sorry they would play the next shot as a safety to discontinue the break to make it fair?

Yeah i completely understand what you're saying, I think its because its a gentlemen's game and so everything is played in a fair way. I cant answer the question as i dont have the knowledge and dont actually know the reason for doing it.
Original post by Idle

Perhaps the flukes in question were just really really good shots?

Or if he played a shot knowing their was a small chance of fluking it and did, how would we know?

He should take a page out of my pool fluke book. "PLAYED FOR AND GOT!"
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 93
Looks like Stephen Hendry's run has come to an end, never mind good to see him play so well earlier in the championship.

Trump's fans always get on my nerves when watching the coverage. When his opponent misses they're always overly enthusiastic shouting "away Judd" even when nothing has be left on and he will inevitably have to play a safety.
Original post by Gary Barlow
Looks like Stephen Hendry's run has come to an end, never mind good to see him play so well earlier in the championship.
(...)

Hendry looked worried against Maguire who reach the semi-final. It's tragic a little bit that he was dismantled.
Sources confirmed from the Crucible

Stephen Hendry retires from professional snooker with immediate effect.
I'm sure he could have stayed a bit longer and didn't need to retire so qucikly after defeat.
Well played Maguire, always liked him but have never seen him do that well so pleased for him.
Apparently he made his mind up three or four months ago, it's not knee jerk reaction. He nearly retired last season when he beat Joe Perry 10-9 in the first round. I personally thought he'd give it one more season as he has no points to lose in the PTC events.
Original post by Matthew_Lowson
Sources confirmed from the Crucible

Stephen Hendry retires from professional snooker with immediate effect.

It stand to reason that he retitred. As far as I know he won all competitions in snooker, including seven world championships. No doubt, he is a legend. Thanks again for your last 147 by this competition!
What a way to bow out, with a 147 in your final tournament.

As some of you know and I'm a referee and at I refereed at the 6 red world championships I met Hendry then, a real gentleman he is and an all round good guy. I remember he was playing on the table next to the one I was refereeing and all I can remember of that match was the hairs standing on the back of my neck and my brain telling me repeatedly dont switch off from the match I was in charge of.

Quick Reply