The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel Biology Unit 1 June 12- 14th of May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Original post by oli_G
Are you a medicine reapplicant?

(Curious from your sig :rolleyes: )

"Mature" first time applicant but not a graduate - I dropped out of school in my GCSE year but am doing GCSEs and A levels as an evening/part time student and applied to start this year. Just redid Biology Unit 1 since I got a low A January last year (102), saw how easy June 2011 was and thought try my luck this year to bump it up a bit. Are you applying this year?

_________

For the question I crossed out beta blockers then talked about anticoagulants.... :colondollar:
Original post by shahruk
Wow I wrote the same thing !! :biggrin: That gives me some solace thanks ! What did you write for " why the tissue recovers after 20mins if ATP is introduced ? "

errrrrm i think i wrote something about how not all the cells had died so they could respire again.. or maybe im making that up.. i cant remember really :P sorryyy
Reply 462
Original post by Saiyu
"Mature" first time applicant but not a graduate - I dropped out of school in my GCSE year but am doing GCSEs and A levels as an evening/part time student and applied to start this year. Just redid Biology Unit 1 since I got a low A January last year (102), saw how easy June 2011 was and thought try my luck this year to bump it up a bit. Are you applying this year?

_________

For the question I crossed out beta blockers then talked about anticoagulants.... :colondollar:

Yeah, I am :smile:

Good luck with your application
Reply 463
Original post by Saleha
errrrrm i think i wrote something about how not all the cells had died so they could respire again.. or maybe im making that up.. i cant remember really :P sorryyy

I wrote that once blood flow is restored, oxygen supply is restored. Oxygen removes lactic acid by oxidising it, bringing ph back to normal levels. Cells that have not died can repire aerobically and start to recover.
Reply 464
so guys... no markscheme?
Reply 465
noope.. i've got an idea! i'm gonna go over the paper in class next week when exams are over so i'll write down the answers and post them on here!
Reply 466
What was the answer of the differences between the caffienes?
Reply 467
Original post by farhanyen
I wrote that once blood flow is restored, oxygen supply is restored. Oxygen removes lactic acid by oxidising it, bringing ph back to normal levels. Cells that have not died can repire aerobically and start to recover.

The thing I found with this question is that it's stuff i've learnt from A2 biology Unit 5 (i'm retaking unit 1 to aim for an A overall) No way would I have known how to answer this question if I didn't learn it from unit 5, how do they expect people doing AS to know this stuff when it's not in the AS book :|
Reply 468
Original post by Panicomg
The thing I found with this question is that it's stuff i've learnt from A2 biology Unit 5 (i'm retaking unit 1 to aim for an A overall) No way would I have known how to answer this question if I didn't learn it from unit 5, how do they expect people doing AS to know this stuff when it's not in the AS book :|

Did you need to talk about the fact that the blood carries glucose, which is needed for the synthesis of ATP (in glycolysis)?
Original post by oli_G
Did you need to talk about the fact that the blood carries glucose, which is needed for the synthesis of ATP (in glycolysis)?

i think that question wasn't even difficult. right??? cz its many time repeated in o levels too. what i am really scared of is that edexcel people cuts mark even if its not that wrong. i mean they cut marks for the smallest thing. isnt it?
Original post by oli_G

by the way what was the question??? i cant remember.
Reply 471
Original post by unity93
omg, for the structure of the heart 5mark question, who related the structure to the function?????? the qu said describe the strucure, so all i did was say oh ''the heart is divided into four chambers..has semi lunar and atrioventricular valves, tough tendinous chords, left vent has thicker muscular wall...blah blah...i didnt actually mention anyhting about the function and how these features actually help the heart do its job. Anyone know what im on about??

It only asked about structure, so I don't think you needed to write about functions :smile:
Reply 472
Original post by shahlakh
i think that question wasn't even difficult. right??? cz its many time repeated in o levels too. what i am really scared of is that edexcel people cuts mark even if its not that wrong. i mean they cut marks for the smallest thing. isnt it?

I don't think they cut marks do they? Didn't seem to say that in any mark schemes...
Reply 473
Original post by oli_G

I did but for some stupid reason I wrote glycogen instead of glucose... I think glycogen is the store of excess energy created by respiration so guess I won't get the mark. But yes I think both glucose and oxygen are the raw mats for respiration which creates ATP.
Original post by katu_mcd
I don't think they cut marks do they? Didn't seem to say that in any mark schemes...

yeah may be u r right. may be they dont. cz they just want answer which is to the point.
Original post by katu_mcd
I did but for some stupid reason I wrote glycogen instead of glucose... I think glycogen is the store of excess energy created by respiration so guess I won't get the mark. But yes I think both glucose and oxygen are the raw mats for respiration which creates ATP.

i think writing glycogen is correct. cz i read some whwere it is a storage molecule which is stored in liver and muscles. when needed for respiration they can be broken down into glucose which along with oxygen can in turn be used in cellular respiration, which yeah creates ATP. I think u wont loose marks here. cz thats the fact. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 476
Nice - well hope so! Thanks mate :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 477
Original post by cspb
It was asking for a percentage increase!!!!!

The is no way that it asked for the percentage.If you check the front page, no calculator mentioned at the equipment, only a ruler.So it asked for the diameter.
I measured it 1.8 cm :smile:
Original post by RioGk
The is no way that it asked for the percentage.If you check the front page, no calculator mentioned at the equipment, only a ruler.So it asked for the diameter.
I measured it 1.8 cm :smile:

Yep, you're right. I got 1.9cm.
Reply 479
Sorry for the thread revival, but this was my first exam, and one that I complained about quite alot, heck when I unleashed my rant I got 10 likes!

I must admit, with A levels don't entirely trust your instinct, quite a few of my worries were non-existant, infact in some modules that I thought were bad, were actually better than the other one in the subject!

The biggest shock for me is this specific exam, I can't believe I have been somehow awarded 120/120 UMS for it, while the second exam which I thought went much better I got 103! Some very lucky bullsh*tting from me. Still, I'd of preferred to do well in physics, and my bullsh*tting didn't work too well for my first physics exam, got a B in it (A overall though). Need to sort out some retakes, still overall pleased!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest